Axiom Home Page
Posted By: steber DVD player playback pauses - 01/06/04 05:10 AM
I have a question regarding my Sony DVD player- model NS725P. On many of my DVD's, in the middle of the movie (usually during scene changes) the movie will freeze up for a second or two. I checked the discs and saw no scratches (some are brand new). Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem could be or how to fix it. This problem occurs using the optical outs or the RCA outs. Is it some problem with the player reading the disc layers? Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: DVD player playback pauses - 01/06/04 05:47 AM
The player is changing layers on the disc. This is a, um, feature on many players.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: DVD player playback pauses - 01/06/04 07:44 AM
this is true. In order to fit an entire movie onto one DVD, they have to be recorded onto two different layers. When the movie hiccups, the laser pickup is simply refocusing onto the other layer. It's more noticeable on some players than others.
Posted By: OGS20 Re: DVD player playback pauses - 01/06/04 02:29 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem could be or how to fix it.

--

A quick search on audioreview indicates this is a very common problem with Sony -- and most mass market -- DVD players. Cheapest fix is to get a new one. (Incidentally I think I have the same player, bought on ebay a year ago ... )
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: DVD player playback pauses - 01/06/04 02:37 PM
you'll actually find a list of DVD models timed layer changes here:

DVD Benchmark

DVD Benchmark new

Not every player is listed, but it gives you an idea.
© Axiom Message Boards