Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jakewash DVD player sound quality question - 01/10/04 07:29 AM
I have just returned my sony dvp-ns725 and purchased the samsung hd-931 and have noticed a huge increase in sound quality. I was playing the cd's with the sony at -20 for a nice sound I am now playing them at -30 with the samsung unit. The picture and sound quality is also much better on DVDs, even on S-video connections that I am currently using till I can buy a HDTV. Any thoughts as to why such a huge difference? I had always thought that a digital signal is digital signal.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: DVD player sound quality question - 01/10/04 07:42 AM
A digital signal is a digital signal yes, but there is more to it than that. How that digital signal is converted to analog (DAC) will be a big difference. There a numerous other reasons, that some others around here could explain it far better than me, but as you've found out, no, not all DVD players are the same.
Posted By: gibaholic Re: DVD player sound quality question - 01/12/04 03:44 AM
The main reason for the increased video quality is that the samsung 931 uses a faroudja de-interlacing chip.

Another benefit of the 931 is that it will upconvert dvd to HD resolutions ( on DVI only) for display at your tv's native resolution for the best possible picture. This is most noticable on fixed resolution tvs such as plasma, lcd, dlp.
Posted By: Richard64 Re: DVD player sound quality question - 01/14/04 05:08 AM
Question?? Does the 931 actually upgrade the DVD to HD standards. I have read mixed reviews but don't know anyone that actually owns one. The Elite 59-avi is supposed to do the same thing, but it costs about $800 more (is it worth it?).
Anyone have an oppinion on this?
Posted By: jakewash Re: DVD player sound quality question - 01/14/04 06:57 AM
the 931 is capable of 1080i. with HDTV specs changing all the time, the 1080 is as high as you can get right now sent through a DVI connection. And I noticed a much cleaner picture and sound quality with just S-video hooked up on an 8yr old Sony 32". So to me it is worth the extra $.
© Axiom Message Boards