Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RSully72 Recommended subs in the $1000 range? - 01/11/04 03:23 AM
Hi,

Well, it looks like the EP350 sent with my Epic 80 package is defective. I have to turn the dial almost all the way to get any volume at all out of it. It also takes about 5 minutes or so to turn itself on after recieving a LFE signal from the reciever. Maybe a bad amp?? If anybody has any ideas, I'm willing to try them.
Anyway, the sub was the one part of the Epic 80 package I was apprehensive about, but since it was part of the package, I figured why not give it a try. I do notice that all of you speake so highly of their other speakers, but nobody seems to comment positively on their subs.
I'm thinking maybe I should just send the EP350 back and get a different sub. I was wondering what you guys would recommend in the $1000 price range (plus or minus $100 or so)? I would mostly use it for home theater, but if I had a good one, I would use it for music too.

Thanks,

Sully
New Axiom owner!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Recommended subs in the $1000 range? - 01/11/04 04:37 AM
Sully, it may be the sub amp, but another possibility could be the sub output on the Marantz. Is the sub trim control turned well up, say about mid-way? Have you previously had strong output using it with another sub? One way to test the sub itself is to temporarily connect a length of regular speaker wire(instead of the sub cable) to the high level terminals on the sub so that the sub out on the receiver isn't involved.
Posted By: mwc Re: Recommended subs in the $1000 range? - 01/11/04 05:23 AM
What receiver/prepro are you using? You may need to adjust the LFE output level in the receiver
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Recommended subs in the $1000 range? - 01/11/04 06:08 PM
If your sub turns out to actually be dead, Axiom will replace it. But if you still want a new sub, I'd get the VTF-3 from Hsu. The rosewood model can be had for $849 using an online coupon from AVS
Posted By: sputnikv8 Re: Recommended subs in the $1000 range? - 01/11/04 08:07 PM
I went with the STF3 from HSU which is only $599. It is incredible to say the least and really fills in the Axioms well.

Posted By: twodan19 Re: Recommended subs in the $1000 range? - 01/12/04 04:19 PM
i have had the 350 sub for over a year now, with no problems. i think it's a great sub, but i've heard no others.
dan
© Axiom Message Boards