Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Dumb Hook up Question - 01/15/04 04:54 PM
I'm an older audio guy, have not used the amp as the interface to a TV source...
Is it as simple as running component cable from DVD and Cable box to receiver. Then, running one componenet cable to projector?? This sounds to easy to be true. Is this is what is meant by the receiver being able to "up-convert"

All comments, and snide remarks welcome!

-Bilbo
(I should of never left the Shire!)

Posted By: jfoxtrot9 Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/15/04 05:00 PM
As long as your receiver supports it, you are right on. Beautiful, isn't it?!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/15/04 05:55 PM
Don't forget the digital audio cables from your cable box and your DVD player. Otherwise, you would be sad.
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/15/04 06:20 PM
Wow! we've come a long way... I'm looking forward to hearing my music collection with 5 speakers! I am wondering if it will sound "mushy" when played through the 5.1 setup.
Posted By: jfoxtrot9 Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/15/04 06:51 PM
Actually, I still prefer music through just the 2 front speakers, (sometimes with the sub) but you may like it through all five. (or 5.1) They are making some music cds for a 5.1 setup though now. There are several options. Wait until you start setting it up, you'll see. (Receiver and speakers) It is alot of fun though. I'm addicted!
Posted By: alan Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/15/04 06:54 PM
Hi BB,

Use Dolby Pro Logic II, Movie or Music modes. Some stereo recordings will sound wonderful in 5.1; others will benefit little or not at all. It depends on the original source recording, and how much out-of-phase ambient information is on the original stereo disc (CD or LP or tape).

The DPLII Movie mode may work better than the Music mode for some music. dts also has similar decoding modes for stereo, which are good but not quite as effective for some recordings as DPLII. If your receiver has Logic7 (it will only have it if it's an H/K, since Harman owns Lexicon), then try that too. It's frequently more realistic than DPLII for large classical, choral and opera works.

If you set your five-channel levels carefully and do a bit of tweaking with DPLII, it will not sound "mushy."

Regards,
Posted By: jfoxtrot9 Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/15/04 06:59 PM
Well Alan, maybe I need to play around a little bit more, see if I can appreciate it more.

Does this mean I have to WASTE ANOTHER whole day just listening to music??!!

(I love these speakers!)
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/16/04 02:28 AM
sad yes, especially when fishing cable is not my idea of a fun pass time.
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/16/04 02:50 AM
Thanks Alan. I am anxious to hear some of my older CDs in the different formats. I've spent years (and probably too much $$$) in search of the perfect designed car audio system. I've gotten close to what I thought was "perfection" in the world of car stereos. One thing I learned from car audio is that MORE speakers are not always better. And, that the "mush" factor comes into play -- and you lose valuable imaging from your important locations.

That's why I'm starting with 5.1 in my home theatre. Before I fish any more cable, I want to hear how the QS8's fill the back.
Posted By: alan Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/16/04 04:34 PM
BB:

I noticed you said "how the QS8s fill the back," which likely comes from car stereo installs. But Dolby Digital 5.1 surround speakers go to the SIDES of the listening area, well above ear level (2 to 5 feet, or more if you want) and slightly to the rear.

Now the QS8s are very adaptable and accommodatiing to asymmetrical placement, and they'll work well mounted on the rear wall, but that is not how 5.1 movies are mixed. And for music playback of older 2-channel stereo through 5.1 and DPLII, DTS, and Logic7, the surrounds work best to the sides of the listening area. Just wanted to alert you before you drill holes.

Regards,
Posted By: joema Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/16/04 05:35 PM
To reiterate what Alan said, I have a M60ti/VP150/QS8 5.1 config, and have experimented with various QS8 positions. Using mostly multichannel SACD and DTS/DD 5.1 music, roughly 90-100 degrees sounds the best to me. When I put the QS8s back at 135-140 degrees (on back wall) it sounded OK but there was loss of side envelopment.

Likewise with Dolby PLII-synthesized surround from stereo sources, about 90 deg sounded best.

It's interesting that Tom Holman of THX strongly feels that 90 deg is best for side surrounds: http://tinyurl.com/2fh33
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/16/04 05:44 PM
Thanks. I just moved into the house. The previous owner finished the basement, and ran the surround wires... they are on the sides, but here's the catch -- the right back is 11-12 feet back. the side left is 8 feet back. I'm hoping the amp can compensate a little for this... I guess I'll see how that new auto feature in the Yamaha works.
Posted By: joema Re: Dumb Hook up Question - 01/17/04 04:49 PM
If you have a Yamaha RX-V1400 or 2400 with YPAO, the auto cal includes several things: speaker wiring check, individual speaker volume level and characterization of each as "large" or "small", room size, distance to speaker (aka time arrival), and parametric equalization of frequency response.

The level and time arrival adjustments can compensate to a degree for one speaker being further away than another. However they can't fully compensate for a surround speaker at a vastly different angle. IOW if the speaker is behind you at 140 degrees from straight ahead, it will still sound like it's behind you, not beside you.

That said the QS8 throws a nice wide pattern and after a while many people adjust to whatever speaker placement they have.

However in my back-to-back testing, 90 degrees (surround to left and right of viewing position) was a lot better than having them significantly further back. But maybe I'd adjust in time to a more rearward placement.

The great thing is Axiom makes QSS stands for the QS8s, so you usually have the option of floor mounting them in a more ideal location. There are even flat, under-carpet speaker wires that may facilitate this placement. You can always try your current surround position and if it doesn't work for you, reposition them.
© Axiom Message Boards