Axiom Home Page
Posted By: chesseroo Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/30/04 04:38 PM
I have a friend of a friend looking for a low cost budget receiver and he came across 2 'deals' such as they are, at a local shop. He is being swayed by the larger wattage numbers (as so many newbie buyers are) but decided to ask for some advice before buying (always a good thing).
I am more familiar with the slightly more expensive units from most companies and it seems there are about 4 times as many low budget units so i could use some input from those with some experience in this area.

Feel free to add any options to this list. State the receiver, vendor (no ebay sales please) and price (Cdn) if you could.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/30/04 04:59 PM
I've owned a HK320 for about 20 minutes, the postman just delivered it, boy is it heavier than I thought it would be. Bought it from an Axiom member, got lucky only had to pay gst & pst plus $5 handling to get it into Canada, no duty at all.

Anyway my opinion is biased by my current receiver and the fact that on the camera side I have issues against Sony. Take it with a grain of salt.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/30/04 05:01 PM
I was the one who voted for other, before I saw the no ebay thing. Also, I wasn't quite thinking about the exchange rate. Therefore, I change my vote to the H/K 320. (I was going to push for a 325 or 525)
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/30/04 05:03 PM
Let me know how it stacks up to your expectations Ford.
I'm also looking at another option for him, a Yamaha HTR 5640 which goes for $500 new at Future Shop or the Yammy RXV 596 fo the same price at A&B Sound .
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/30/04 05:04 PM
Ken, there is no pushing allowed in this thread.
You can go push Bigwill in the thread on beer.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/30/04 05:05 PM
You haven't seen a picture of me, but I would wager a fair amount of money that I could not push BigWill anywhere.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/30/04 05:26 PM
I found my 2 most recent HK receivers to be disappointing, an AVR65 and don't recall which more recent effort because I sent it back so quickly. I had a Technics SADX 940 which was an outrageous overperformer. I spent about $150 for it and used it while awaiting delivery of a pair of nOrh monoblocks which never arrived.

I'd go with either a Panasonic (same company as Technics) SA HE 200 or take a chance on their new digitally amped SAXR 45, probably the latter.

Unlike others, I've also had good luck with Sony products.
I use the preouts of an STRDB 1070 as a processor and think this unit sounds terrific and has many good features. I thought it was way overrated as to its output, but it sounded good even using its internal amp.

I know Yamahas are much favored by many on this site, but I just don't find their receivers as musical as some of the competition. JMO.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/30/04 06:14 PM
Hey Chess,
I'll throw my vote in for the HK. Just looking at info on both, I thought the HK had the edge. The deal-breaker for me would be the lack of pre-outs on the Sony. Not to say that he's going to need/want to add on an external amp someday, but it should be a consideration. Otherwise they both look like good machines. I'd second 2x6sps recommendation on the Panasonic receivers though. I used to own one and, thinking back, it really was a bargain. Control using the remote/menus was easier than the Yamaha I own now, IMO.
Posted By: vaniah Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/30/04 07:12 PM
I would recommend the H/K between those two.

If he has more time, he should wait and listen to more than just the H/K. But if he's anxious, that's my vote.
Posted By: Wid Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/30/04 07:29 PM
I also agree with the Panasonic SA-He200.I use a SA-HE70 and am quite happy with it.Got it referbished for $106 US. From JR music.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/30/04 08:59 PM
I've had good luck, and know others with same, with "budget" receivers from Denon and Yamaha. That's my experience, so I voted other.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/31/04 02:49 AM
Chess, for that money go with the HK. It has an 80Hz crossover to the sub, the nice Logic 7, and the auto calibration(not equalization, of course, but still a convenience).
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/31/04 04:51 AM
Any thoughts on that Yamaha 5640 vs the H/K?
Both are priced about the same, each with slightly different pluses and minuses.

I've just never really looked at the less expensive units before. I was rather astonished at how many are produced below the $600 level. I guess it does make sense though. Less ppl are likely to buy a more expensive unit, especially anything beyond $1500-$2000.
Only those who are real serious or have useless money to burn look towards such categories and i would think they are in the minority. My wife even thought i was a little crazy at first but of course is extraordinarily happy with the results.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/31/04 05:10 AM
Chess, the three items that I mentioned. Some folks like the numerous DSP fields that the Yamaha offers.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/31/04 05:24 AM
Apparently, after having received some info on receivers from me this morning, this guy now mentions he was looking at Polk speakers. I told him he should really check out the Axiom offerings since he's looking at budgeting tight and he damn near cr_pped himself.
He was shocked at the great prices Axiom has and is considering a FO purchase of M40s, QS8s or 4s and a centre.
Gotta love that FO.

Posted By: JohnK Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/31/04 05:27 AM
Ken, those of us who were paying attention and making deductions did in fact see your picture. Don't be discouraged, I'd judge that BigWill only has about 120 lbs on you.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/31/04 05:09 PM
Yeah, if I had any brains whatsoever, I would remember that. And BTW, that 120 additional lbs makes him a little under double my weight.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/31/04 08:10 PM
Yeah, even though the person depicted never did confess.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/31/04 08:17 PM
Ah, yes I did! Your investigative and deductive skills have failed you this time, Poirot!
Posted By: Saturn Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 01/31/04 11:18 PM
http://pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_35330_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

http://bizrate.lycos.com/,mss__cat_id--11070000,prod_id--7586083,rf--wgg.html

Posted By: Toddzilla Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 02/02/04 04:41 AM
Despite my severe disappointment in my old HK AVR7000, I would still recommend the AVR320 for your system over the Sony at that price range. Email me if you want specific details about the AVR7000's failures.

Todd
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 02/02/04 03:05 PM
In reply to:

Email me if you want specific details about the AVR7000's failures.

Feel free to post them.
The more info users have before buying may help in their product selection.
Posted By: vaniah Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 02/02/04 04:25 PM
Agreed. Why the secrecy? This is a friendly environment.
Posted By: BigWill Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 02/03/04 12:07 AM
Oh you guys, I'm not that big. My mommy says I'm just big-boned.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 02/03/04 12:19 AM
I take it you didn't see this episode...
Posted By: Toddzilla Re: Short Receiver Poll (Suggestions?) - 02/03/04 05:11 AM
Here is the review I posted on Audioreview.com for the AVR7000.

After having four of these things sent to me, I experienced the same problem with three of them and a different problem with number two of four.

When pausing a DVD or CD, or muting the receiver in any mode EXCEPT stereo mode, the receiver produces a "popping" noise through my speakers. Three, yes, THREE receivers have had this problem--one that I am very reluctant to live with. The other receiver had a problem with the subwoofer output cutting out at volume levels -43dB and -35dB--one click either way on the volume knob and the subwoofer comes back on. From what I've read on this website, this is not the only HK model w/ Dolby Digital/DTS to have this specific "popping" problem.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to what has caused this or any solutions for future buyers? Am I doing something wrong? The last one I got was hooked up line-by-line according to HKs manual only to be disappointed--AGAIN. My opinion now is "Buyer Beware!!!" I sent the last one back to HK's product engineer to be "tested". No one seems willing to give a straight answer, only new receivers with the same problems. If you are hell-bent on purchasing this receiver, there are great deals on the internet for around $950. My suggestion would be to find someone who sells it, and more importantly has one in the store, hooked up and ready to test out.

See you HK. My Sony STR-DA777ES is on the way...

End of review.

Now, I've seen many reviews of HK stuff that are absolutely glowing. On the other hand, I've seen some pretty over the top, "I'm going to kill myself for buying this" reviews, too. I think the root of all the problems HK had during this time were due to one thing--they lost their handle on quality control. Mind you, I had four of these receivers in my home in less than two months. Lemon is really the only fair word that comes to mind. BUT, I'm willing to give HK another shot when it comes time for me to replace my Sony STR-DA777ES--long time before that happens.

On the flip side, I've seen tons of people give Sony nothing but bad reviews, hopefully based on their own personal use. I have had nothing but good luck with all of my Sony products past and present. I've had my STR-DA777ES for 3.5 years with NO problems. HKs AVR7000 listed for $1800 when I bought it, the Sony was $1500. In this instance, I wish I would have bought the Sony and saved myself the headache. But who knows--maybe I would have gotten a Sony with big problems. It's obviously difficult for manufacturers in any industry to attain 100% quality control and consumer satisfaction.

I hope this helps those who wanted to read my take on this. Initially I didn't feel comfortable providing a negative summary of the product.

Thanks for reading.

Todd

© Axiom Message Boards