Axiom Home Page
Posted By: vortrex if you had a choice.. - 02/13/04 03:06 PM
would you upgrade from VP100 to VP150 or QS4's to QS8's? just trying to get an idea what's the bigger performance gap. I know with my current (polk RM series II) HT setup I always seem to have issues hearing dialog clearly. I sit about 12' from the tv. this tempts me to go to a VP150, although maybe the VP100 is even that much better than my polk?

I have a bigger space (loft condo) but can't get full use out of a "killer" system due to neighbors. so, I'm trying to build great sounding HT setup that I get full use of (no sense getting a huge sub, etc). I'm sure anything I get will be a great improvement over my polks anyways. does this system seem decent?

NAD T742
M2's
HSU STF-1

then either..

QS4's/VP150 OR QS8's/VP100
Posted By: jasonw1701 Re: if you had a choice.. - 02/13/04 03:34 PM
Since you're 12' away, you should probably go with the VP150. You'll also get a little wider dispersion (if you need it).

How far apart are your current surround speakers? If they are 12 - 15' apart (or more) then you should also consider the QS8's if your budget allows. Plus if you've got a big loft with a lot of air around you, then the QS8's will fill the room better.

Jason
Posted By: Bob4action Re: if you had a choice.. - 02/13/04 03:37 PM
I just went through the upgrade you are describing. I can honestly say that there is a difference, although to my ear, and set up, the qs8 had a greater upgrade impact than the vp150. I sit about 14' away from my mains. Both the vp100 and qs4 were fine, but the upgrades are an improvement, as they probably should be...
Posted By: vortrex Re: if you had a choice.. - 02/13/04 04:02 PM
the space between the surrounds is about 15'.

does anyone feel the VP150 or QS8's will overpower the M2's/STF-1?
Posted By: jasonw1701 Re: if you had a choice.. - 02/13/04 04:09 PM
No they won't overpower your mains or sub. Just calibrate them with a sound meter. Radio Shack is rolling out their new analog model, part # 33-4050, $40. Check it out here.

Jason
© Axiom Message Boards