Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Michael_A Totally stupid - 02/18/04 05:13 AM
OK... more like incredibly lucky than stupid.

Long story short. I'm a busy guy. No time to "shop". I paid off my 65" Mits a couple of weeks ago, so I figured it was time for a nice sound system. I stopped in a few stores and listened to a few speakers. I knew for sure which ones sounded bad. My problem was that once a set of speakers sounded "good" to me I lost the ability to judge them any further. This left me with at least 4 possibilities that I could live with. The lowest priced set that I liked was around $750 per pair for mains. There was a matching center, and the store recommended the smallest bookshelf speaker made by the same manufacturer for surrounds. The high end speakers that I liked were around $1100 per pair for mains with the same deal for the center and surrounds.

After months of reading reviews and forums on the web, I realized that a lot of people have put a lot more time and effort into selecting speakers than I ever will. A lot of you ended up with Axioms that you are perfectly happy with even after comparing them to much more expensive speakers.

So, I took a blind leap, and ordered M60s, a VP150, and QS8s...

All I can say is "WOW!". They arrived yesterday, and I finally had a chance to unbox them and check them out tonight. They sound wonderful, and the Maple finish with black grills looks incredible.

I didn't order my (SVS) sub yet, but I am not in such a big hurry to do so now that I have my Axioms. I was completely suprised to find that when hooked up to my HK AVR630, this combo produces enough bass to shake my couch. It almost feels like I have shakers installed under it. My house is a mid 50's brick exterior, plaster interior rancher. It is very sturdy with actual 10" 2x10 joists under the floors. Based on what I've read, I was not expecting any where this level of bass. I also have never been able to max out the volume without ever hearing any distortion on any of my previous alleged "audio" equipment. VERY cool..

The "brightness" that I was hoping to be minimal turned out to be non-existent. After being within 3 feet of many, many, live cymbal crashes, I can attest that my Axiom speakers sound just as bright, but not any brighter than the real thing.

One of my M60s has a small dent in the frame of the grill, and a small hole in the fabric below that. One of my QS8s has an approximately 1/2" long by 1/8" wide by 1/32" deep indentation in the aluminum cone of the top woofer as well. It sounds fine though. I'll call Axiom in the AM. I'm sure they'll straighten it all out.

I would like to express my gratitde to all of you that did the hard work, research, auditioning, and comparison shopping for me. All of your effort saved me a bunch of time, and I am sure a few dollars as well...

I LOVE the way that these things sound. I am one extremely happy camper right now, and I feel damn lucky.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Totally stupid - 02/18/04 02:26 PM
Nice post. Glad you're satisfied. POST PICTURES!
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Totally stupid - 02/18/04 03:32 PM
Not totally stupid...rather expected.

I hope to also be in this state when my Axiom's arrive...It has been almost a month since ordering a set of M60's, a VP150 and a set of M22's in the Warm Cherrywood Custom Finish.

I daily walk by my current speaker setup (Sony HTIB speaker set) and sigh to myself "Boy will I be glad when the Axiom's get here..." The current exception to this comment is the SVS 20-39 PC+ I replaced the subwhimper that came with the speaker set...This sub rocks. Literally.

I am hoping to get an email stating that my speakers have shipped very soon...BUT not in the next couple of days as I will be out of town and unable to pick them up!

Looking forward to a quantum leap in sound quality...

Counting the days...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: teddyruxpin Re: Totally stupid - 02/18/04 07:03 PM
Glad to hear that you loved the speakers. You have the same set up that I have. Wait tell you get the SVS sub...you are going to be blown away. I have had my speakers for little over a week now and they sound better and better everyday.
Posted By: Amie Re: Totally stupid - 02/18/04 10:48 PM
I know something you don't know! I know something you don't know!
Posted By: willscary Re: Totally stupid - 02/18/04 10:55 PM
I hate it when my wife or kids do that!!!! TELL!

Posted By: Ajax Re: Totally stupid - 02/18/04 11:16 PM
Amie, you are a sadist!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Totally stupid - 02/18/04 11:31 PM
Will, look at the post she's responding to. The label "sadist" fits perfectly, I must admit.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Totally stupid - 02/18/04 11:45 PM
Amie, after the nice email exchanges I've had with you over the last couple of weeks, what a surprise to find that you are delightfully twisted!! Even more interesting to see that you appear to be comfortable with that !

I'm with Jack - Give it up! Spill it!
© Axiom Message Boards