Axiom Home Page
Posted By: anamosity epic 60 questions - 03/08/04 01:42 AM
Hi, new user, but been lurking for a while.
So I hope you dont mind questions right off the bat.
Ok, so here we go. I am looking at picking up a set of the epic 60 set minus the sub. I will be picking up a svs sub. I see that the qs4's look to be front and rear firing. So my question is, How high up on the wall should these be mounted? I have 2 recliners up front. Then a reclining love seat up on a pedestal. Then behind that, on a even higher pedestal is the reclining couch.
I want all 3 sitting positions to get decent sound.

thanks for any comments to help me in this matter.
anamosity
Posted By: JSkip Re: epic 60 questions - 03/08/04 01:48 AM
Welcome. I recently got the QS8s. I listened to the people on the forum (and Dolby Labs) and mounted my surrounds 2-3 above the listeners. In my case, they are about 6.5 feet high. Due to some room constraints, the right one is about 2 feet in back of the listening area and the left one is about 4 feet back. They sound great!!!

You'll find the people on this sight are extremely helpful and knowledgeable (I'm still learning)

Good luck, John
Posted By: JohnK Re: epic 60 questions - 03/08/04 02:39 AM
Animosity(but you don't sound very hostile),as John mentioned the general suggestion is about 2-3' above ear level and slightly behind the listening position. In your case a little compromise is necessary because of the different seating positions, but the QSs are quite flexible as to positioning(see Peter, I didn't say "forgiving")and something about even with the back couch and a foot above ear level there should work well.
Posted By: joema Re: epic 60 questions - 03/08/04 12:52 PM
You mentioned recliners. If they are high-backed, examine whether the headrest portion will block sound from a rear-biased side surround.

Some say you should never use high-backed recliners in an audio environment. I do, but I have my side surrounds at about 90 degrees (angle measured from straight ahead) to reduce the problem.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: epic 60 questions - 03/08/04 04:01 PM
Hiya anamosity! To be clear, the Qs fire top & bottom woofers with front/angled firing tweeters.

I've got some QS8s mounted at 6'-6 1/2' feet on side walls and they are about 3" from the back wall. The left speaker fires over the top of a very tall "Dad-sized" easy chair and there has been no audio loss at all. the previous advice puts you into an installtaion comfort zone. Hang with confidence.
Posted By: anamosity Re: epic 60 questions - 03/09/04 12:09 AM
thanks to all that replied, I now have got a headstart on where put my wiring for the qs8's. As im in the middle of drywalling this room. Again thanks for the help.
© Axiom Message Boards