Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme HDMI cable? - 03/28/04 09:07 AM
Anyone know where I can get a 40' HDMI cable?

Posted By: FordPrefect Re: HDMI cable? - 03/28/04 12:16 PM
Doesn't seem to be a "normal" length Spiff try contacting this company http://www.cables.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CARA&Category_Code=HDMI they do custom manufacturing.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HDMI cable? - 03/28/04 04:58 PM
Thanks. I emailed another company and they suggested coupling two cables together. One 30' and one 10'. Total cost...$300.

As much as I like the idea of my gear being in the back of the room, all this long run cabling is frickin' expensive!

Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: HDMI cable? - 03/28/04 07:41 PM
HDMI? Does that mean your finally getting a new TV?

My coworker bought a 50' DVI cable (I think it was less than $50). Perhaps you could use a long DVI w/ an DVI/HDMI adapter. Then you can use a cheaper DVI cable. I'll try to ask my coworker on Monday where he got it.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HDMI cable? - 03/28/04 08:13 PM
Hmmm...everything I've been reading online says DVI shouldn't be too long, but HDMI should be able to handle runs of up to 15 meters or more.

No TV yet. But I'm trying to figure out a way to run cabling in-wall for the new place. If I'm going to run speaker cables, s-video, component, etc, I might as well get the HDMI cable run at the same time. That way when I do get a tv, I'll have all the connections that I need.

Posted By: getoffb Re: HDMI cable? - 03/28/04 09:18 PM
DVI signal's start deteriorating after 30 feet I believe. I have never personally tested it, so I don't know for sure.

Also, HDMI is basically a brand new cable, so prices will probaly be high until more manufacturers start mass producing the cables. Why dont you run a 2" conduit from your rack to where the TV will be so you can add whatever cables you need when the time comes and you won't have to hire somebody to do it for you each time you run a new cable?
© Axiom Message Boards