Axiom Home Page
Posted By: badger98 Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/07/04 08:38 PM
I finally got a chance to snap a few photos of the home theater with the relatively new Axioms. I know how you guys lust for pics, and I didn't want to let the group down.

Hope you enjoy them! And please, no dissing the surrounds or sub. They won't be decommissioned until at least after the receiver is replaced--and they don't take criticism well.

Otherwise, would love to hear your thoughts. Hope you enjoy the pics...

Our Home Theater
Posted By: Ockham Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/07/04 08:48 PM
Very nice. Love the sofa and seat (that's next in my never-ending cycle of upgrades). Actually, I'm thinking of putting a small shelf above my TV (set up like yours currently) for the center. Enjoy.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/07/04 08:49 PM
very nice.. i always liked show and tell.. to be honest, i am not a big fan of grills off.. but in that room, they actually look better to me with the grills off.. of course, i am sure your wife will disagree with me.. they all disagree on that subject.. well, not all..

and whats up with that sub and surrounds???? come on dude, welcome to the 21st century..

i couldnt resist..

you mentioned getting a new receiver.. what do you got, and what do you want??

bigjohn
Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind comments.

Way to spot the center channel shelf, Ockham. I noticed a little bowing of the TV screen at the top, and went with the black shelf solution. Mine's only about 3/4" thick, but in hindsight I'd recommend a nominal 2" if you don't want to see any bowing of the shelf itself.

I currently have a Sony STR-DE825 receiver that's over 5 years old. It has actually treated me very well, but I'm ready for something with a little more power and some of the "new" features (DTS, DPL II, etc.). I'm currently eyeing the NAD T752 as its replacement.
Looks like a setting that would bring a very relaxing and enjoyable movie watching experience.
That looked like an awkward room to work with.
Well done.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/07/04 09:13 PM
Wonderful, inviting room. The Axioms look great. Excellent job of keeping the wire clutter out of sight.

Nice to have a setup where you can enjoy the video AND the fireplace at the same time.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/07/04 09:27 PM
Nice pics! I especially like the 4th pic (titled "looking up") -- the angle on that shot is great.

Oh, and the Ikea coffee table really ties the room together.
Ditto to all of the above! Lovely room.
Thanks again guys. The room was a bit of a challenge to work with dimensionally (wouldn't mind having the M60s a bit farther apart), but overall it has worked out really well. It definitely help that the previous owners had already run cable to the ceiling for the surrounds, and had also established a cable path from the back of the component cabinet to the wall behind the TV. That's about all they did well, so I'll give credit where it's due.

Buko, you'll have to share how you were able to spot the Ikea coffee table. My wife will be very impressed. I have to admit, Ikea puts together some very cool stuff for the price. Oh wait--they make you put it together yourself. You know what I meant...

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/07/04 10:29 PM
My sister-in-law has the exact same table. The cubby-holes underneath were a dead giveaway.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/07/04 11:02 PM
What a warm, inviting room. Hats off. Great quality pics as well. Whatever receiver you get ( the NAD gets nice marks), just be sure you spend the money now so you aren't trying to scratch an itch in a few months. It is an area that is in th emoiddle of your cack , right under your shoulder blades. It's called the "Mounds of What If".

By the way, I just made a quick trip to the AVS Forum. I remebered seeing somethiong about buying NADS and there is apparently some legendary guy that prettty much gives them away. (well, maybe not quite). Here is the thread. Maybe it will help. Congratulations on the setup - I'm Jealous.

Here
Here's a couple more places to order NAD gear for really good prices. Both are authorized dealers.

Saturday Audio Exchange (I ordered my T762 from them with no problems at all)

and

Yawa Online

Best of luck and what a great setup you have there.
Ray "the moiddle of your cack"? "Buying NADS"?

Are you feeling okay?
Posted By: James_T Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/07/04 11:33 PM
I thought NADS came in a jar....
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/07/04 11:49 PM
Thank you for the concern Tom - I feel marvelous!! There are 2 possible explanations to my posting. I chose to present my input in Old English, being a devotee of John Milton's prose -- or -- my wife told me to get my butt to dinner NOW, before the vegetables get soggy and I didn't get a chance edit my input. I believe I will leave the choice to you discerning folks.

My intent was to provide a bit of assistance in procurement of a new NAD receiver. I also expect that the glee over a small faux pas in writing here will dim rather quickly the next time any of you experience an itchy cack!!!

I will, however, state categorically that you should NEVER put your NADS in a jar. While there is the aspect of keeping them fresh, the pain is not to be believed.
Priceless, Ray. Just bloody priceless.
Posted By: player8 Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/08/04 04:15 AM
Spocktheater,

How much was shipping and handling for the 762?
I paid $35 for shipping. Sadly enough, I think that I got the very last T762 that Saturday Audio Exchange had. It was a dealer demo. You could check with them just in case.
I finally took the time to get some pics up of my system too. I can't thank enough everyone on this board for guiding me in the right direction with speaker selection. It's been 3 weeks now since I got my Axioms and even TV commercials sound good!
My Home Theater

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/08/04 12:50 PM
Nice set up Steve. Very homey. I'm glad to hear the EP350 does the job. We really don't hear enough about the Axiom subs.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/08/04 12:56 PM
Steveo,

You done good! What stands are you using for the QS8s, and how are they attached to the speakers?
how did you mount the left 8?
Posted By: ringmir Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/08/04 02:23 PM
It's on a stand!
i know that. i used axiom's stands, but it appears you used some other type that looks better. can you tell us more?
dan
Here's the skinny on the stands...
My wife hated the look of the QS8 stands because they looked bulky. She suggested I get Aperions instead because of this. I decided to go on a holy-grail search for a suitable replacement stands. What I came up with were an adjustable height stand from Omni-mount (adjusts to 48" i believe). Purchased them at my local good guys for $65

They are rated for 10lbs but will easily hold the QS8's. the mounting bracket on the stand has an 'L' shape with a screw-whole center. This allows for the bolting of the QS8 to the stand via the hex-bolt that is centered on the back of the QS8 (perfect fit).

I should note that these stands are stable but I would not suggest that they be in an open area where kids could knock them down. I tried to meld all my speakers into the decor so my 2-yr old would not pay any attention to them

BTW- thanks for the props on my set-up. I am just starting out in HT. Unfortunately been using Bose for about 4 years and finally saw the light!

-Steve
In reply to:

We really don't hear enough about the Axiom subs.

That's b/c spiff can yell "HSU" louder than i can yell "EP350".
HSU!

yep...that was louder.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/08/04 05:05 PM
So, does that mean that the down firing woofer, on the bottom of the QS8, is blocked, or partially blocked, by the bottom leg of "L" shaped mounting bracket?

-------------AXIOM EP350 EPICENTRE!!----------------------

Posted By: ringmir Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/08/04 05:37 PM
Whoa....I am now officially afraid to open this thread ever again....
The mounting of the QS8 is soley to the back. The 'L' shape bracket is about 2 inches tall by 1 inch wide by 1 inch depth. I reverse mounted the bracket so that it just bolts in from the back of the 'L' instead of behaving like a shelf (which seems only small satellites would accomidate the size of the small mount). The down firing woofer is unobstructed and seems to look alot better than the QS8 stands that Axiom sells. Also at about 4 ft tall, the surround is above my head. I would prefer to cieling mount but I have to upgrade my home because our living area is small.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Finally... Some Pics of Our Home Theater - 04/08/04 06:10 PM
Cleverly done. Thanks for the info.
© Axiom Message Boards