Axiom Home Page
Posted By: vasia Help with Center Speaker - 04/26/04 06:22 PM
I am considering getting a center speaker for my 13X18 living room. I can only get VP100 now and the person on the tech line of Axiom suggeste that VP150 is a better match for such room. Is VP100 really not a good match for this size room and I should just wait to get VP150 later, or should I get VP100 now?
Thank you!
Posted By: vasia Re: Help with Center Speaker - 04/26/04 06:30 PM
Another question. Can I put a 20 lbs center speaker directly on top of my smth like 27 inch TV without destroying it?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Help with Center Speaker - 04/26/04 06:34 PM
i am not an expert, but i am sure the guy on the line is.. i honestly think the vp100 would work, as long as your listening chair is not a great distance from the tv. the 150 would work 'better', but that is your call. the guys at axiom arent gonna suggest a speaker just to get a bigger sale. they will give honest and upfront recommendations based on the parameters that you give them.

i would wait, and just get the vp150, cause if you get the 100, 3 months after you get it, you will start wondering "what if"?? that is a bad place to be..

bigjohn
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help with Center Speaker - 04/26/04 06:39 PM
About how far from the TV will you be sitting? I have a VP100 and absolutely love it. I sit about 8 feet away from the TV and my room is 13'x12'.

The main benefit of the VP150 over the VP100 is that its horizontal dispersion is much better. This means, essentially, that the VP150 creates a larger sweet spot.

If you can stand the wait and can afford the VP150 later on you won't regret it, but the VP100 is also a very good speaker for the money.
Posted By: vasia Re: Help with Center Speaker - 04/26/04 06:45 PM
I'll be sitting maybe 10-12 feet away. Also, as I mentioned in a thread, I do not have anywhere to put a center speaker other than on top of the TV right now and that's unlikely to change any time soon.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help with Center Speaker - 04/26/04 06:51 PM
Are you sure the VP150 isn't wider than the top of your TV?
Posted By: vasia Re: Help with Center Speaker - 04/26/04 06:58 PM
I think it is just about the same.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Help with Center Speaker - 04/26/04 06:58 PM
Vasia,
I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with adding an additional 20lbs to the top of your tv set. The only concern I would have is if your stand can support the extra weight. Another thing to be cognisant of is the potential for interference with your picture tube. I personally had some problems placing my vp150 atop my tv, though many others have done the same without any concerns. It's just something you should be aware of as a potential problem.

good luck
Scott
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help with Center Speaker - 04/26/04 07:05 PM
The weight of the speaker won't be an issue unless your TV is made out of cardboard. The VP150 comes with rubber feet that you place near the corners on the bottom of the cabinet, so the weight will be placed near the edges of your TV, not the middle.
© Axiom Message Boards