Axiom Home Page
Posted By: emiburke New Review? - 05/04/04 12:26 AM
Haven't seen this yet.

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/MAY04/component/comp1.html

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: New Review? - 05/04/04 12:30 AM
>http://www.audaud.com/audaud/MAY04/component/comp1.html

Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Review? - 05/04/04 12:30 AM
Interesting review. I find it strange that he preferred the Paradigm Monitor 9s to the M60s. I also find it strange that he thought they were not bright.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: New Review? - 05/04/04 12:39 AM
"softened high frequencies". Fascinating.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Review? - 05/04/04 12:53 AM
You think maybe he forgot to take them out of their boxes?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: New Review? - 05/04/04 12:54 AM
In reply to:

The Axiom had a softened high frequency response in comparison with the Paradigms, and although the midrange was not as hard sounding as with the Paradigm, there seemed to be a sacrifice in definition—also described in my notes as relaxed/depressed. There was an ease to the M60ti that should help tame bright/harsh/cheap electronics. The difference in high frequency response/extension gave the speaker a smoother quality that would probably be a benefit with some overly aggressive movie soundtracks as well.

OK, haven't finished reading it yet, but that's probably the EXACT opposite impression of the M60ti's that nearly everybody else who has heard them has had.

In reply to:

If you are looking for (front) speakers to mate well with a bright-sounding set of electronics or have an overly reverberant listening room, then the Axiom speakers will be a good match. For those looking for the most resolution their system has to offer, you might consider investigating some other speaker options as well.

Hmm...that's VERY odd. Perhaps he needs to see an ENT?

Posted By: Ajax Re: New Review? - 05/04/04 12:59 AM
In reply to:

You think maybe he forgot to take them out of their boxes?

On the floor AGAIN, Peter.

In reply to:

"softened high frequencies"

Well, that's a first isn't it.
Posted By: Michael_A Re: New Review? - 05/04/04 01:03 AM
In reply to:

This goes contrary to what I would expect to see in a correctly-designed speaker

I've only heard this once before.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: New Review? - 05/04/04 01:03 AM
i wouldnt say the guy hated them.. he didnt love them either.. at least he was as concise to point out the good qualities, as he did the bad. at least HIS opinions of the good and bad. i honestly thought it was fair.. he wasnt blown away by them, yet, he said they were equal to other equivelent brands.

i think this was a simple case, as he stated, where he has heard sooo much about them and was just expecting to be blown away.. he wasnt, but he still stated that they were good, responsive speakers. i still am curious about the whole "softened high frequency", since that is the exact opposite of what i have ever heard, but of well. he didnt slam them, and he didnt trip over his tongue with accolades.

he said what he thought.. cant blame the guy for that.. dont we do the same thing??

bigjohn
Posted By: Ray3 Re: New Review? - 05/04/04 01:46 AM
My impression is that this is not your basic audiophile. As a matter of fact, I'm guessing he may be challenged to spell audiophile. May be someone who happened on an available computer while everyone was at lunch and went nuts on the keyboard. Let's be clear, I'm not critcizing what he thought of the speakers; I just think that the written word is not where he should point himself to make a living and audio expertise should not be on the top line of his resume'. The whole piece was pretty lame.
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: New Review? - 05/04/04 02:29 AM
Had to be one of worst written reviews I've read in a while... I'm sorry but it bored me to tears. I hung in there, trying to anticipate a reasonable summary, and overall impression, but it seemed to putter out with every paragraph. The writer lost me when he claimed to be able to watch Harry Potter over and over again. (perhaps that's what is draining his creative juices and writing ability) Then to close, he confused what speakers he reviewed -- claiming he reviewed the QS-4's not what he opened with -- the QS-8s. (I’m pretty sure of this, but I couldn’t bear it to go back and read it again to verify)

I usually remind myself that reviews are written with the intent to disclose some level controversy. They are written to sell magazines as a primary goal, and to gratify potential or existing advertiser. It’s a sad, cynical world.

“the rug really tied the room together, did it not?”

Posted By: JohnK Re: New Review? - 05/04/04 02:46 AM
Well, Rick clearly didn't care much for the M60s, but after reading his review of speaker cables in the previous issue I'd have some difficulty in finding credibility in anything that he wrote.
© Axiom Message Boards