Axiom Home Page
Posted By: strangej Another Newbie Finishing Basement - 05/11/04 02:40 AM
I am looking for some opinion on my basement finishing project. I am looking to add a 7.1 Home Theater system. The room is setup 16 x 16ft, with an open wall with arches to the left when facing the TV location. The TV location is a recessed 50w x 70h x 24d cubby that will be rocked in with the Home Theater cable behind. I will have bass redirected to the front right corner and speaker in Front, Side and Rear.

I am looking for recommendations on everything. I have been thinking of:

SVS PB1-ISD Subwoofer
Outlaw Audio 950/7100 combo
Center Axiom VP100
Front Axiom M22ti
Side Axiom QS4
Rear Axiom QS4

I have not had much thought on a TV or DVD player, although I would like them to be cost friendly. Any experience or recommendations would be excellent. I am also worried about the room open to the left, to a space that is about the same size. Again the rooms are divided by 3 arches.

Thanks in advance.

-John
Posted By: fast_lane Re: Another Newbie Finishing Basement - 05/11/04 03:07 AM
Sounds like you have a good start to a great HT. A couple things I would change depending on your listening preferences. If you are heavy into HT over music I would go with the VP150 over the 100. You get a little better clarity, and dispersion out of the 150. For the sub SVS is great. I would almost recommend looking at a pb2-1sd instead. It's a little bit more but well worth the extra money. To me a good sub is one of the most important pieces in a HT system. I assume all of your selection is based on a budget. If not then I would definitely go m60's, vp150, qs8's, and a pb2+ sub. Then you'll never look back. At least that's what I told myself. LOL
Posted By: BrenR Re: Another Newbie Finishing Basement - 05/11/04 05:06 AM
Only suggestion I'd make is bumping up the centre to a VP150 - all watching (besides straight stereo) requires the centre to take up the lion's share.

Otherwise sounds great - very clean HT setup. Still not sure why a lot here insist on the QS8s - power handling up to 400watts for surrounds? Seems overkill - only Axiom mains rated that high are the M80s. I mean, I hate to cost Ian an upsell but... they're effects speakers.

Bren R.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Another Newbie Finishing Basement - 05/11/04 05:34 AM
In reply to:

Still not sure why a lot here insist on the QS8s - power handling up to 400watts for surrounds?

The old QS4's had a different tweeter than the 8's and it sounded a little different than the rest of the speaker line. I had the 4's and then went to the 8's after hearing the difference. It was subtle but it still bothered me. Now I would bet they sound pretty much the same.
Posted By: fast_lane Re: Another Newbie Finishing Basement - 05/11/04 04:26 PM
I went with the 8's for surrounds for no other reason than to curb upgradeitis down the road. That is until axiom comes out with QS12's. LOL
Posted By: BigWill Re: Another Newbie Finishing Basement - 05/11/04 05:38 PM
The difference in price between the 4s and the 8s hardly seems justifiable anymore. The only difference is the size of the top & bottom drivers, and the size of the enclosure, right? Are the 4s 8 ohm speakers - IOW, are they also less sensitive than the 8s?
Posted By: James_T Re: Another Newbie Finishing Basement - 05/11/04 05:39 PM
I went for the QS8s (and the VP150) to curb upgradeitis as well. They are overkill for my space, but I am set when I move to a larger one (some day) and I won't sit and think "what if".

jr
Posted By: jakewash Re: Another Newbie Finishing Basement - 05/12/04 04:15 PM
In reply to:

Are the 4s 8 ohm speakers - IOW, are they also less sensitive than the 8s?

The 4's are 8 ohm and the 8's are a little more sensitive at 6 ohm. The 8's are a little fuller sounding, going a little lower in the frequency range.
© Axiom Message Boards