Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jimmyk Main speakers for HT - 05/24/04 02:57 PM
I'm putting together a home theater that is 15x25x9. I will use it 99% of the time for movies, very little music. I plan on using the VP100 for the center, QS8's for the surounds and I've yet to decide on which sub to use. My question concerns the mains. Would the M22's be adequate for this room considering that this room is mainly movies or should I go with the M60's.
Posted By: ringmir Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/24/04 03:06 PM
I would say it depends on how far back you will be from the screen. That's a big room, and to fill all of it I would say go with the m60's. I am currently in a room that is 13'x17'x9', and I sit probably 12-13' back. The m60's are fantastic in that space for movies, and I could probably have done with the m22's. That said, I love the m60's and if I were much further back I wouldn't even think about replacing them with the m22s. Of course, you don't mention a subwoofer, which you will definately want for a dedicated home theater, so if you're trying to reach some price point it is probably worth putting the money into the sub.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/24/04 03:22 PM
That's a pretty good sized room. My first reaction is that, for a room that size, you would be better off with something a little larger than the M22s and the VP100. On which wall will you be placing the display (TV/screen); the 15' wall or the 25' wall? How far from the speakers will the listeners ears be? Keep in mind that Axiom speakers are ported in the back so you have to have them a minimum of 3 or 4 inches from the wall, and even farther out is better. So, using the M22s as an example, the front of the speakers would be a minimum of a foot or so from the "back" wall, and probably even farther. The front of my M60s are 33" from the wall (27" from the curtains), and my ears are 7.5' from the TV screen, 8+' from the front of the M60s.

When you are finished getting opinions here on the forum, be sure to give the folks at Axiom a call. You will find they do NOT employ hard sell tactics, will not try to talk you into ANYTHING, let alone anything that is more than you need, and will truly help you make your decision.
Posted By: jimmyk Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/24/04 03:58 PM
Ajax, In answer to your questions, the screen will be on the 15' wall and seating will be 12-14 feet from the wall.
Posted By: snippy Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/24/04 06:06 PM
I never listened to music at home until I got my Axioms, but music sounds so good on them, I now listen to music more than HT! So do not count out the musical abilities of the M22's and M60's just because you don't listen to music currently.
Posted By: Misfit_Toy Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/24/04 06:27 PM
Another thing to consider in all of this is the possibility of moving up to the VP150 for your center in that size of a room. But again, the question comes back to what others have asked, and that is how far back you'll be sitting from the tv and the soundstage.
Posted By: ringmir Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/24/04 06:38 PM
I guess to follow up based on your seating distance, I would get the m60s. The system I have now is slightly more than I need really, but I wanted flexibility to move into a larger space in the future. Your space is slightly larger, and I say if you can swing the m60s to get them. You won't regret it.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/24/04 06:50 PM
At that distance, and in a room that size, I think the M60s (or 50s) and the VP150 would be a better choice than the 22s and VP100. However, If budgetary, decor, or WAF constraints dictate the 22s and 100, I wouldn't agonize over it. I'm sure there are 22 and 100 owners here who will tell you that those speakers will do the job. It's just my opinion that the 60s and 150 would serve you better.

Call Axiom and get their opinion. You won't regret it.

Keep us posted on what you decide and how it goes.

P.S. Snippy is right. I wouldn't be surprised if your music listening increases. Mine did!
Posted By: JSkip Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/25/04 12:45 AM
JimmyK, I have a very similar sized room and I have the M60s, QS8s and VP150. I also sit 12-14 feet back. They sound great and they get my vote!!!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/25/04 12:49 AM
Here's another mix. I have a 16x22x10 room with M60/VP100/QS8 speakers. The M60s are excellent and I'd suggest them over the M22s. The VP100 is a terrific speaker, especially paired with the M60s. The 100 only suffers a bit when compared with the 150. Either is a good choice.
Posted By: Shmoo Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/25/04 01:55 AM
My setup is in a smaller room than yours, it`s 12x20x8 and I decided to go with the M60,VP150,QS8 and a HSU STF3 and I couldn`t be happier. I`m sure the M22`s and the VP100 would have done a nice job in my room however I didn`t want to be always wondering if I should have gone bigger and as others have stated you will most likely be listening to more music once you hear how sweet the M60 sound.
Posted By: kapone Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/25/04 10:34 AM
My room is similar in size (20x20) and I have M80s, QS8s and VP150 (and an HSU sub), I must admit, sounds GREAT! I probably could have done well with the M60s as well, but I intend to move sometime in the next few months and I didn't want to take the chance, that the speakers may not be enough for the new space (probably the basement of a single family house), so I just went with the top model.
Posted By: jimmyk Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/25/04 01:58 PM
Thanks for all of the input/suggestions. I was leaning towards the m60's/150 before I posted but was trying to decide if I could save a little money and go with the m22's/100. I guess everyone made up my mind for me and I'll be going with the m60's/150. Once again thanks to all that responded.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Main speakers for HT - 05/25/04 01:59 PM
let us know when you order, and how you like them when they get there.

and as always, pics are required.

bigjohn
© Axiom Message Boards