Axiom Home Page
Posted By: NezDiego DVD Player - 05/25/04 09:39 PM
I just ordered the epic 60 home theater speaker system and am about to order a denon 4802 AV receiver. In addition to this I am looking at purchasing a new DVD\SACD player. Any wise words or recomendations?

Thanks
Jeremy\Nezdiego
Posted By: Ajax Re: DVD Player - 05/25/04 10:03 PM
What kind of inputs does your display/TV have; HDMI, DVI, Component, etc.? Are you interested only in DVD and SACD, or are you interested in DVD-A also?
Posted By: dakkon Re: DVD Player - 05/25/04 11:25 PM
Sony DVP-CX985V

http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AlZGv6eo.fZ7POWCv5k6WyUEgFoB;_ylu=X3oDMTBtNTA5a3RqBF9zAzE0NDg5MTE1BHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?is=1&p=DVP-CX985V&did=

starting at 329$ 400 disk DvD player, that plays pretty much anything you put in it.. DVD SaCd's, dvd-r dvd-rw

only bad thing is i have an Fn database telling me where all my movies are, but then again it gives me a reason to geek it out.... anyhow i LOVE mine, and would reccomend it to anyone... you can even plug in a keyboard to label your disks...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: DVD Player - 05/25/04 11:27 PM
Put the [/link] and the [link] the other way around. And remember to use preview! If you move fast, you can probably edit the post so we don't have to scroll all over the place...

In any case, that looks pretty cool. I've been looking for something like that for awhile.
Posted By: dakkon Re: DVD Player - 05/25/04 11:28 PM
yeah, i forgot to recheck the preview button, but i edited it after it posted, i didnt think it actualy posted... gr...

Posted By: NezDiego Re: DVD Player - 05/25/04 11:30 PM
My TV has coax, rca, and one s-video input. Im a newbie and I just discovered the existance of SACD a few days ago. Im hoping to find out what DVD player features other users have really enjoyed and what features (if any) arent really necessary. Due to your post I looked up DVD-Audio and I will be looking for a player that has that capability as well.

Posted By: Ajax Re: DVD Player - 05/25/04 11:56 PM
Look for players called "universal" players. That means they play DVDs, regular CDs (know as Redbook), SACDs, DVD-As, as well as other goodies.

I should have asked what receiver or processor you will be using, and what kind of audio inputs it has. Both SACD, and DVD-A require that your receiver or processor be equipped with 5.1-channel analog inputs called "multi-channel" inputs. If your receiver/processor doesn't have them, you can still get a universal player, but you won't be able to play SACDs or DVD-As until you upgrade your receiver/processor.
Posted By: snippy Re: DVD Player - 05/26/04 01:33 AM
How much do you wanna spend? I would recommend the Denon 2200, 2900, or 5900 depending on your budget. There are also plenty of other opportunities through other companies such as Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, etc...
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: DVD Player - 05/26/04 02:07 AM
I can second the Denon DVD-2200. Resonably priced and great features. Has played everything I've thrown at it. DVD+R, DVD-R as well. Only 2 small problems with movies, no resume function and the player will not automatically shut the disk drawer if open when you shut off the power. At the price it's a good deal. Sometimes avail at E-Cost as a refurb for under $300. That's where and how I got mine. Good luck with your search.
Posted By: NezDiego Re: DVD Player - 05/26/04 05:35 AM
Thanks for the information I think I will go with the Denon 2200
Posted By: bigjohn Re: DVD Player - 05/26/04 01:10 PM
you might also want to look into the pioner 563A. it is a universal player(sacd, dvd-a), but at a lot less cost. you can get them for around $150 bucks.

some on this board have had some probs with theirs.. i have had none with mine. its just a matter of cost. if you have the money to afford it, then i would definitely go with the denon.. if you wanna save some cash, the 563a will do just as well

bigjohn
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: DVD Player - 05/26/04 02:10 PM
I wondered if anyone has tried any of the new Yamaha DVD players? They're new line looks pretty good, with SACD/DVD-A capability, Faroudja DCDi and plenty of other options. Yamaha S2300MK2. I've been unable to find anything online about price though.
Posted By: audiofan Re: DVD Player - 05/26/04 07:38 PM
I got dvd-2200 from ecost. It looks like new to me, no scratch , dent, or anything. it works great.
© Axiom Message Boards