Axiom Home Page
Posted By: thekid Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 04:57 PM
I currently have an pretty bad sounding Cambridge Soundworks 8s sub. I didnt want to drop too much right now
Has anyone here heard the Dayton and is it decent at all?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 05:19 PM
Board regular 2x6spds has the Dayton Titanic Vance Dickason sub and I believe that he likes it fine.

I've pondered it, too, but a Hsu STF-2 is not that much more money, and you don't have to put it together yourself. Plus, it is down-firing, which matters to me for environmental reasons (kids and dog hair), not sonic concerns.
Posted By: curtis Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 05:30 PM
tom,

I think thekid is referring to the finished Dayton 10" sub..it has been getting some good feedback on the boards.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-632
Posted By: thekid Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 05:31 PM
The one I was actually refering to was the pre-assembled 10". It only goes for $120 roughly nad has gotten some pretty decent reviews
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 05:59 PM
Sorry. Mea culpa.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 06:06 PM
its certainly not the most powerful sub in the world, but if the specs are correct, and it can hit 25Hz for under $130 bucks, i would be jumping all over it.. especially if you are trying to save some cash. the dayton will give you what you need for now, then you can upgrade to an HSU or SVS in a few years.

bigjohn
Posted By: thekid Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 06:58 PM
WEll the issue is I dont want to shake the house apart, because frankly, wife would then shake me apart. I figured it might be an improvement over my current sub which is very boomy and cannot go low at all. Maybe the HSU stf-1
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 07:13 PM
the HSU stf-1, while small in size, is not small in sound. it is highly regarded as the best size for bass bargain. of course, there is a volume knob on it, so you can always turn it up or down, depending on if the wife is in or out!!

i think you can get the stf-1 for around $300 bucks. if price isn't an issue, this may be a better choice.

bigjohn
Posted By: thekid Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 08:03 PM
I really am looking for tight, low bass
-well as far as I can get for the price range
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 08:15 PM
the HSU's have been referred to as "tight" by many people. i dont think you will have any probs with it there.. now, as far as "low", the specs on the stf-1 say it only goes down to 32Hz. the dayton says it goes down to 25Hz, but to be honest, i almost dont believe that. that would make the dayton the only 100wt sub that hits 25Hz, at under $150 bucks. it just seems a little far fetched.. but, ya never know.

but, back to the point, i think the stf-1, would definitely eliminate the "boomy" that you had complained of. hopefully, someone with a dayton, or who has heard the dayton, will chime in.

bigjohn
Posted By: thekid Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 08:27 PM
I would really like to know how the dayton stacks up

Posted By: thekid Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 08:29 PM
CompUSA has the STF-2 for $349 until friday, but all 5 that are within 50 miles of me are sold out

Posted By: James_T Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/26/04 08:32 PM
I have that sub myself. I bought it because the price was right (about $100 at the time) and I had read many positive reviews.
My opinion of it? Once I set all the levels (with RS SPL meter) and listened to some music and watched some movies I was pretty happy. I can't think of a time where I felt that I was not getting the bass I needed (but I'm not a basshead either). I mostly want to feel it more than hear it for movies. I had a passive and really really unimpressive sub before that so anything would have been an improvement.
With music I had an issue at first, but changing the phase got rid of the butt thumping boom and gave more of a low freq. rumble---Jack Johnson has a LOT of bass mixed into his albums.
I have not had any other powered subs that I could compare it too and did not do any sub comparisons, so I can't say whether it's tight or flat. Oddly enough the only movie that caused the woofer to click or thump unnaturally was Amelie.
Overall I am very happy and won't upgrade my sub until I move to a home where I won't be evicted for noise.

jr
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/27/04 12:29 AM
I understand from a bit of research that the Dayton isn't bad, especially considering the money. If there is the potential for spousal abuse and you just want to catch a whiff of bass, it might be the ticket.

However, we must also bring the dreaded upgradeitis into the mix. Once you begin to experience quality bass, I'd guess the STF-2 is gonna look pretty good to you and that means more on top of the $130. I'd suggest that you get the HSU and just turn it up a bit at a time until the wife gets used to it. Watching LOTR with burly LFE will get mama over the fence quickly.

Of course the basic guy option is always available - sell the wife. Then buy a big honkin' SVS and move the house off the foundation. Man, you can almost smell the testosterone in the air.
Posted By: James_T Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/27/04 01:05 AM
Upgraditis is a problem...

I live in an apartment building and do not want to be evicted.

jr
Posted By: BrenR Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/27/04 04:12 AM
In reply to:

Picking up gear from my bro's apartment on the way to a shoot tonight I was thinking the same thing - how does one practice their bass with dual 4x10" SWR bass cabinets in an apartment?

Bren R.
Posted By: jorge016 Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/27/04 02:40 PM
I'm currently using the same Dayton 10" sub in my system (M22's, M2ti as center, QS4 surrounds, HK AVR130 receiver). I went with the Dayton for purely economic reasons. I've had my system for a little over 2 months and so far I'm pleased with the decision. At first I did have trouble getting system setup and wasn't pleased with the lower end. I got the Avia disk and played around with the placement of the sub and got our system configured so that we're very happy. I've got to emphasize that the Avia disk and proper placement were very critical. I wouldn't hesitate to utilize this sub-it seems to be a very decent unit for the price. I'm certain upgraditis is going to hit me at some point. I'm really curious to see what a Hsu would do for my system, but for now I'm pretty satisfied. In my opinion go for it-upgrade when you can.
Posted By: imposter Re: Dayton 10" Sub - 05/27/04 11:08 PM
I've had this sub in my bedroom system for about a month and now enjoy more music and movies in there. I got lucky and it was on sale for $108. IMHO this is the best value for a sub anywhere!
© Axiom Message Boards