Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Anonymous M3Ti or QS4 for rear? - 03/11/02 01:26 AM
Hi Ian et al
I currently have M3Ti for my front and very happy with it. I am now thinking of getting either M22Ti and then move M3Ti for rear or get QS4 and leave M3Ti for front.
Is there a big difference in sound when using QS4 against M3Ti when use in HT or 5 channel music?
Room size is 5.5m x 4m, use 60% music 40%movies.
Will get VP100 and sub later.
thanks
Armand from Sydney, Australia
Posted By: alan Re: M3Ti or QS4 for rear? - 03/12/02 03:18 PM
Hello Armand,
In rooms the size of yours, the sense of envelopment produced by the QS4 quadpolar dispersion is, I believe, superior to that of a direct radiator used as a surround channel speaker. QS-4s are also very accommodating in terms of positioning in a room. They can be at different heights and still deliver a finse sense of immersion in the surround field without losing rear-channel direction cues with Dolby Digital 5.1.

If you can position the M3Ti's in an ideal position (on the side walls) in a larger, more reverberant room, the differences between monopolar speakers like the M3ti and the multipolar QS-4 aren't as noticeable.

I'd opt for the QS-4s, but it really depends more on the particulars of your installation.

Regards,
Posted By: Anonymous Re: M3Ti or QS4 for rear? - 03/13/02 07:58 AM
Hi. Allan, what if HT is positioned cross-wise in the middle of a large rectangular room. No side-walls to effectively work with (too far away), only a back wall. Would dipoles still work better? What about in a 6.1 set-up? Appreciate your advise. Thanks.
Posted By: alan Re: M3Ti or QS4 for rear? - 03/14/02 03:18 PM
Hi,
I'm a little confused by what you mean "positioned cross-wise" but in any eccentric set-ups, I always prefer multi-pole radiating surrounds because they are much easier to locate (even at different heights and distances) yet they still supply excellent immersion in the soundfield without losing rear-channel directional cues in 5.1 operation. I think the same would apply for 6.1 operation.

Regards,
© Axiom Message Boards