Axiom Home Page
Posted By: thekid Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 06/22/04 05:12 PM
I need a new DVD/CD player
Are you using seperate DVD and CD players or just DVD or Universal players
-Are there any advantages to using Seperates or is it a waste of $$$$
Posted By: mhorgel Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 06/22/04 05:16 PM
I was using my Denon 2200 for DVD's, DVD-A's, SACD's, and CD's, but then I bought a Sony 400 disc carousel. This has the advantage of being able to house a good fraction of my CD collection, and it will play for weeks without needing to actually get up and change a disc. It is an arrangement I would recommend for anybody.

Mark
Posted By: thekid Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 06/22/04 05:22 PM
You havent noticed any type of quality difference have you?
I was looking to pick up a single disc universal and then say a 5 disc cd player
Or I could just get a 5 disc universal player
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 06/22/04 06:24 PM
Good luck on finding a five disk "universal" (CD, DVD, SACD & DVD-Audio) player...

The last time I looked, they did not exist...

If you find any, let us know...

Maybe it's time to look again.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Ajax Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 06/22/04 06:52 PM
I picked up this Onkyo DV-CP701 6 disc, refurbed CD/DVD player ($105). It's great for CDs, and serves as a backup DVD player. Haven't had one problem with it. I use my Bravo D2, with DVI output for DVDs.
Posted By: thekid Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 06/22/04 07:08 PM
I looked at the Sony DVPNC685
Its a 5 disc, DVD, SACD and everything else except DVD-Audio
It got great reviews for PQ and SACD
CD has gotten both good and bad reviews on it

Posted By: dakkon Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 06/22/04 11:55 PM
this is the 400 disk dvd/dvd-rdvd-rw/dvd+rwdvd-a/SACD

player that i have...
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=zgRVfTix4LZVB3hpC4xfdne9hZ5jEWNUmxE=?ProductSKU=DVPCX985V&Dept=hav&CategoryName=hav_HiFiComponents_SuperAudioCD

i fn love this thing, the only bad? thig is that i had to make a database to keep track of all of my darn movies and cd's....

oh yeah, and i love this thing....
Posted By: jordanz Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/19/04 11:12 PM
Just got my new Denon 5900 (will connect to a Denon 3805 A/V).
Posted By: Wid Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/19/04 11:17 PM
I use a Sony C222es cd player going through a stock Msb link dac3.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/19/04 11:21 PM
I'm using a Pioneer Elite DV45/A as my DVD player, and a Sony CA70ES 5-disc carousel player for CDs. I can tell a marginal difference between the two in terms of sound quality, but I'm using analog connects for the Sony and a digital cable for the Pioneer. Maybe that's the difference. Who knows? But what I've found is that the Pioneer occasionally has trouble reading the first split-second of any track on audio discs. Anyone else have this trouble?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/20/04 01:21 AM
Kid, CDs require a laser with a wavelength of about 780nm to be read accurately, while DVDs(as well as DVD-As and SACDs)require one of about 650nm. However, for years CD/DVD players have used dual 780/650nm lasers which are optimal for reading each type if disc. A separate CD player has no advantage in sound quality.

As SutterCane brought to our attention about a week ago, the new Onkyo DV-CP802 just out is a universal 6-disc changer. It lists at $500 and will be available at lower prices through the usual sources. That's one possibility, but I agree with Dr. Mark that a megachanger, such as those available from Sony, is substantially greater in convenience and is something that you should seriously consider(there is yet no universal megachanger).
I have an Onkyo Integra DX-706 (before Onkyo and Integra became different entities) For CD's. Which is connected using the toslink. I use my Pioneer DV-563a for DVD’s, which is also connected using a toslink. I feel that the Onkyo sounds better for CD's. I don't know if it's psychological or a fact. A blind test might be in order…

I’m considering a jukebox system like Mark. I wish the technology were a bit better though. What I mean to say is that it would be nice if these systems had some sort of cddb lookup ability like Gracenote. That way lazy people like me wouldn’t have to manually enter data into a database. This is not enough to prevent me from buying one though

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/20/04 04:42 AM
As of today I'm using a Denon 2800MKII for CD's and a Denon DVM-2815 5 Disc for DVD's and DVDA. I'm still playing with this set-up but for now that is it. The main reason for the 2815 is my kids. When they watch there movies or listen to music, they use the 2815 and the 2800 is hands off. I don't have the time to do much critical listening anymore and find myself listening to MP3's more and more. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy piped to my Denon 3805 via an optical cable and if the MP3 is of decent quality it sounds not to bad.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/20/04 05:10 PM
dmn23,

I would wager that your Pioneer has no trouble reading the first split-second of audio tracks, but it's your receiver that takes a split second to detect and translate the digital signal it's getting. This phenomenon is pretty common and often occurs with the audio contained on DVD video discs.
Posted By: curtis Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/20/04 05:31 PM
I use a Pioneer 563a universal for everything, hooked up via optical to utilize the better DACs in my pre/pro.

For endless music, I rip my CDs to MP3's and stream them to my audio system using a Linksys Wireless Media Adapter. I then put the CDs away until I need them for critical listening.

What I like about the Linksys/MP3 solution is the fact that I can get full artist, album, and song title info right on the TV if I need it, no lag time between discs/songs, I can level match CDs when ripped to MP3(I don't have to mess with the volume control if one CD is recorded louder than another), vitually endless storage, and the Linksys makes no mechanical noise.

The downside, the sound quality is not quite as good as CD....hard to tell...but there is a difference. It is probably more of a issue of the playback device though. There are similar units that can be connected digitally....that should probably help...but for now, I am happy.
Posted By: INANE Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 03:16 AM
I opt for the *digital Jukebox* myself (server with big hdds). Those media players for your HT system are nice, I just go the next step and do an all out HTPC. I however encode my CDs into mp3 at very high settings (LAME, EAC). I'm very excited to see how they stand up to the real thing on some good speakers.
Posted By: thekid Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 02:50 PM
If there is no sound quality in using a seperate CD player, is there a difference in using different cd players for better sound quality?
Posted By: Saturn Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 04:17 PM
In reply to:

Kid, CDs require a laser with a wavelength of about 780nm to be read accurately, while DVDs(as well as DVD-As and SACDs)require one of about 650nm. However, for years CD/DVD players have used dual 780/650nm lasers which are optimal for reading each type if disc. A separate CD player has no advantage in sound quality.

With all your profound knowledge I respectfully do not agree with you. We have thread on this before and I see you point when you compare a $100-$800 player ... not much difference. But when you compare your everyday $100 DVD/CD player to like a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista player I would definitely disagree. I do not know if you have visited your local shop 'lately' but you should bring in your player and compare it against something in the likes of the above or any player from Krell, Classe, Cary audio and see if your ear can not tell the difference. Unless you have actually tried to do that lately your thinking behind having a separate CD player has no advantage in sound quality is pure bunk.

Convenience is convenience but what Kid was asking is there was any sound advantage (if any) was possible. If he was going to spend under $800 sure...there not much difference...but players in $800+ can really be surprising...maybe not gigantic differences but subtle differences nonetheless.

Even using my Cambridge CD player via optical which uses my Pioneer Elite 43TX DACs sounds different than using the same CD players DACs going through a passive preamp sound different. I have it always on A/B mode so I would challenge anyone to demo them at my place and see if they do not hear any difference. All someone has to do is come over.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 04:34 PM
In reply to:

All someone has to do is come over.

Well, I'm game! Maybe craigsub can subsidize my plane ticket.
Posted By: ringmir Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 05:02 PM
Saturn, I think what he is saying is, there is no compromise from the fact that you have two lasers in the system. Personally, I think if you use a digital connection to your reciever, a player is a player as far as sound is concerned. Any difference in sound is going to come from DACs and processing, not from the laser. You may have a problem with build quality and system longevity though. My vote tends to be for separate components for each role. Mostly this is because I feel a well made cd player will be better at playing cds than a well made cd/dvd player. I know this is not always the case though. Similarly I don't like to buy multipurpose tools if I can buy the "correct" individual tools. I figure this way each component sees the appropriate amount of wear and tear, and if one thing goes bad I am not screwed until I can replace it.
Posted By: Saturn Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 05:23 PM
ringmir: I agree with you 100%. But Johnk comment on "A separate CD player has no advantage in sound quality" is a misleading statement. Yes it is true he is saying there is no compromise from the fact that you have two lasers in a system. But what does have to do with "sound quality". Sound quality is the sum of the whole as you mentioned. A stand alone CD player with great parts..cd transport, DACs, dampening would/could improve "sound quality" most of the time but not always.
I am also answering thekid's question "If there is no sound quality in using a seperate CD player, is there a difference in using different cd players for better sound quality? " The comment above left him confused thinking a DVD/CD has no difference in "sound quality" than a stand alone "well-built" stand alone CD player.

Peter: You bring the alcohol and I'll supply the spring rolls and peanut chicken and rice...I mean the fiancee will supply that. Craigsub can bring some BBQ material.

Posted By: BBIBH Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 07:11 PM
I live just down the highway from you...I will be right over!!!

I agree that build quality is very important, and overall that a source is paramount to a quality system. I think the problem is that most stores lead with speakers ( and to be fair, they are the most visible piece of a system) when you enter. I know a lot of people that have not balanced the components in a system, and the reason is they were "told" to spend more on speakers. Very few people have heard, or taken the time to search for quality sources. Are all of the upscale models better than lower cost models? Not at all.

I like to suggest that people take the time to listen to all ranges and price points for all pieces. This will allow you to learn the industry.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 07:16 PM
No way. The speakers make the sound. They are the most important aspect in a system. A set of good speakers hooked up to a shelf system will sound better than a set of shelf system speakers hooked up to a $10000 2 channel system.
Posted By: BigWill Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 08:15 PM
I thought the 1s and 0s thing when using the digital out was pretty concrete. All the arguments to the contrary sound like fancy marketing propaganda.
That being said, I have no expertise here beyond my experience with 3 budget players I have at home.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 09:12 PM
...I almost missed the sarcasm...or the attempt to get the thread heated up!!!
Posted By: INANE Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 09:37 PM
The ones and zeros being read off the disk should be the same on all players. The DAC thou has to convert them back to an anolog signal so I do see a difference there possibly.

/semi-educated speculation
Posted By: JohnK Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/21/04 11:03 PM
Kid, almost never would there be an audible difference between modern CD players(heard under controlled conditions; perceptions based on casual listening should be disregarded). A very poorly constructed player conceivably could be mechanically noisy enough to be heard during play and this would of course make a difference. However nearly all modern players, regardless of price, offer audibly flawless reproduction of CDs. My own preference is for the convenience of megachangers such as those available from Sony, and I'd never consider a single-disc player again. Choose the features you want at the best price you can find; there's no need for concern about the sound.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/22/04 12:15 AM
There was no sarcasm. I'm just disagreeing with you. Yes, I took the example to extremes, but if we're talking about $800+ CD players (or transports, even better!) then we're there already.
Posted By: Saturn Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/22/04 02:29 PM
thekid;

You should try out and listen to a few CD players and/or multi combo players and see if you can find any discernable difference. If you don't notice a difference then pick the one best suit for your budget. It is better off hand to find out yourself than taking dogma/heresay from people.

Posted By: Saturn Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/22/04 02:41 PM
Hey Bigwill;

Yes 0s & 1s are concrete. And yes most budget player have no discernable sonic difference. A lot have fancy marketing proganda.

But try one of the higher priced players like Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista, Cary audio Design 302/200 , Mark Levinson No.390S CD Processor, Classe CDP10 vs some of your budget player and see and hear for yourself if you do not hear any difference. Maybe you won't but I personally thought it sounded differently specially with some really revealing speakers such as the M80ti.

I can not or will not convince anyone what I heard. I can only pass on the experience and having someone try it for themselves.

Ken: With respect to speakers I couldn't agree with you more.

Posted By: expatbrit Re: Are you using seperate DVD/CD players - 07/22/04 06:14 PM
Should have a new Samsung DVD-HD841 waiting for me tonight. Can't wait to try the DVI connection to my Panasonic LCD rear projection screen at 720P. For CD is have a Yamaha 5 disc changer, hooked up with Toslink to use the 3803 DAC's
© Axiom Message Boards