Axiom Home Page
Posted By: KC_Mike Subwoofer Time - 07/05/04 01:07 AM
I am looking to spend a MAX of $700 for a subwoofer. I am considering the following:
HSU VTF-3 ($699)
SVS 20-39PCI ($599)
Paradigm PS1200 v4($600 MSRP)

I have heard the paradigm several times at a local dealer and it performs very well. However, my gut tells me I might be able to get more bang for the buck going internet-direct.

Anybody know how these 3 subs stack up? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Subwoofer Time - 07/05/04 01:24 AM
I know zip about the Paradigm, but from what I've learned, here and elsewhere, you can't miss with either the Hsu, or the SVS. I know Ray3 has a 20-39, and Spiffnme has the VTF-3, I think. Each feels he has the better sub. It's a win/win decision between those two. Go with the one that fits your room and budget, and don't look back.
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: Subwoofer Time - 07/05/04 01:27 AM
Mike:

Both the VTF-3 and the 20-39pci are fantastic subs. I myself am fixing to order the STF-2, even though I pefer the style of the cylinder design a little better.

In my case though, it came down to cost. I know what the STF-2 can do and for my HT room, my word it's going to rule. lol

The Paradigm PS1200 is a good sub, I've heard it myself as well. However, I feel you will get more bang for your buck by going with an HSU or SVS.

I'd ask yourself which would you rather have, a box or a cylinder. If it doesn't matter none to you, then I'd say go with whichever you feel the most comfortable with. You can't go wrong at all, regardless of who you go with. Both HSU and SVS makes killer subs, and if it gets to the point where you really like them both, and you're just having a hard time deciding, then I'd let cost be the deciding facter. Go with whichever one is cheaper.

Sutter Cane
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Subwoofer Time - 07/05/04 04:11 AM
I have had the Paradigm and went with a SVS PC-ULTRA. Get the SVS 20-39PCI!!!!!
Posted By: curtis Re: Subwoofer Time - 07/05/04 05:23 AM
I own the older VTF-3, and have had the 20-39PC+, PB1+, and STF-2 in my home. All great subs, you can not go wrong with any of them, but there are differences.
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: Subwoofer Time - 07/05/04 06:05 AM
Curtis:

Can you share with us a little what the differences are in the subs you've mentioned?

I'm sure there's a lot of people here who doesn't know and would be very interested in learning.

Thanks bud,

Sutter Cane
Posted By: curtis Re: Subwoofer Time - 07/05/04 06:47 AM
They were pretty well summed up by spiffnme here:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=HT&Number=42667
© Axiom Message Boards