Axiom Home Page
Posted By: audiofan What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/16/04 08:50 PM
your hometheater?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/16/04 08:53 PM
Something dark, of course needs to absorb light.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/16/04 08:53 PM
Whatever color my rented living room is. Grr...
Posted By: bigjohn Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/16/04 09:24 PM
i agree with haole-boy.. any color that is a dark based..a light based will reflect light back to the watching position which could affect your vision and screen perception.

bigjohn
Yeah - but it doesn't need to be too dark. Pitch black isnt great. It can affect the way your eyes actually perceive black on the screen. Most places recommend something flat, in a "muted" tone, like green or gray, which will "look" black in the dark.

For most of us, whose HT is also our livign room, etc. - painting the room too extremely violates the third principle of the WAF. Try going with one of the khaki colors or a subdued gray which (IMO) look very rich during the day, and very dark at night.

Unfortunately, my wife is making me go with something lighter than that in our new home - but if I had my way....
Posted By: INANE Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/17/04 05:15 AM
We are goign with a dark yellow, kinda mustard like in our HT room... I am considering painting the wall that all the equipment is on black. Donno yet

I went with a deep and dark burgundy. Nice and dark and the wife likes it!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/17/04 07:33 AM
whee-ha!

I recommend painting one wall a different color to make it stand out. It creates a nice effect. If I were to paint my living room again, I'd paint one of the side walls (which may soon become the wall behind the TV if my wife convinces me to move the TV and speakers) a darker color.
Posted By: audiofan Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/17/04 04:34 PM
Thank you all.

I went to local dealer Tweeter yesterday and i recognized that they painted wall behind the tv ,speaker in Burgundy , all side walls/back wall in khaki. Very subdue.
I just picked up my paint yesterday for the new basement theater. I am using a dark camel/caramel color for the walls and a darker green/brown color for the ceiling. I just couldn't go with the normal theater colors...red, grey, etc. I want it to look like a normal room when the lights are on and the projector is off.
Posted By: audiofan Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/19/04 12:59 PM
I like the idea of different color in HT room. Espcially, the wall behind tv and a/v system is in different color than the side/back wall. THis creates a 3D effect.
Also, i would like to use color that when not watching movie, i can relax and reading or working on my laptop comfortably...Ah..i've gotta go to bookstore...:)
Posted By: BigWill Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/19/04 05:19 PM
They say red is not a relaxing color. Maybe green, brown or blue?
Anything to keep the reflection effect down. I have a olive color. If you're going with a FP, the paint you choose to create the screen is the real decision. I went through a grueling 2 months of painting and re-painting and testing -- I started feeling OCD with the paint roller. Anyway, I learned alot about the appropriate paint to use for your screen as well as how to wet sand paint from drywall... how to get that smooth as a baby's @ss effect before priming. My wife thought I was nutso, and she's probably right. But, my patience paid off, I now have a huge screen that only cost me the paint, and my time. Plus, the size I wanted wasn't readily available from the typical screen vendors.

Posted By: BigWill Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/21/04 08:07 PM
Yeah, but is it acoustically transparent?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/21/04 10:47 PM
Is that the PC term for deaf?
We went with a flat finish in a rich amber color for the walls and could not be more pleased with the results. The screen wall and ceiling above the screen is flat black. Eventually we will have black and cranberry colored velvet drapes on the screen wall and side walls of the stage area.
OH MY ... HOLY .... SWEET MOTHER OF ....

That is spectacular!

You must be very satisfied. Is your wife happy?

Thank you very much for sharing!
Posted By: BigWill Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/22/04 02:23 AM
That's awesome. I'm feeling twinges of envy.
What's the sub? How much noise does the AC make? Does it need to vent to the outside?
no. sadly that type of screen is way out of ny league! been at HT that had one. the screen was 20k alone! ouch!!

greatfully, i'm not prone to upgadeitus, and i'll stay with what i have for many years!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/22/04 11:52 AM
AWESOME.. super nice.. definitely something for you and your family to be proud of..

so where was the popcorn maker

bigjohn
Posted By: audiofan Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/22/04 02:41 PM
Wow...it's awesome! This is a real movie theater. You have big space. I have a spare room in basement (12x14), in which i'd like to use it for movie (30%) and music(70%). So basically, i'd like to turn this room into a getaway place where i can read, listen to music and hang out with friends. Since it has only one small window, i think i'll go with a lighter color ( not white though).
Thanks.
Yes I am satisfied and of course I keep my wife satisfied and happy too
Thanks BigWill.
I have 2 SVS 20-39 PCi subwoofers, one in each corner in the front.
The AC is a ductless mini-split system, it is not vented to the outside but it is a 2 part system like a central ac unit. The indoor unit requires a 3 inch hole through the wall for the refrigerent lines and electrical wires that run to the outside unit. It is very quiet, even when I have it on max it is much, much quieter than my Sony projector.
Thanks bigjohn.

Unfortunately we don't have a lobby so we have to keep the popcorn maker in the kitchen

Posted By: pmbuko Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/22/04 11:53 PM
Thank goodness you don't have an obsession with amusement parks... I can picture the ferris wheel in the basement now.

That's one sweet (and complete) home theater you have there.
Thanks audiofan.
Our theater is 15.5ft by 25.5ft. The 111 inch by 69 inch screen is 32 inches from the side walls so we do not get any reflected light washing out the image on the screen.
My feelings are that you can go with virtually any color you desire as long as it is a flat finish and there is sufficient distance between the screen and the side walls.

I haven't listened to much music in recent years but now that I have my Axiom speakers I am enjoying sitting in the theater with the lights low and playing music.
Posted By: Ajax Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/23/04 12:19 AM
The staggered seating is such a GREAT idea. I'd have never thought of doing that, but it makes such sense! DUH! A really nice setup.

OK guys! I vote for a meet at KOSletten's place. Whadaya think?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/23/04 12:26 AM
Yeah! I call middle row, second seat from the left!
LOL pmbuko aint that the truth.

Thanks for the compliment.

Posted By: BigWill Re: What color of the wall do you paint for - 07/23/04 02:11 AM
Actually, that's a great idea, Jack. He probably has like 11 bedrooms - if not, we can set up tents in the front yard.
Sorry only 3 bedrooms with the "Master" bedroom measuring in at 8.5' x 12' There is plenty of camping area though...
© Axiom Message Boards