Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Msb1999 HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/24/04 08:37 PM
Got my M60's, Qs8's and VP150 set-up with my Yamaha 1400. I need a sub. Narrowed the list down to HSU, SVS, and Velodyne. Room dimensions are 15 x 30 x 8. Any recommendations?
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/24/04 08:44 PM
I have been known to dabble in subs... what is your budget ?
Posted By: Msb1999 Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/24/04 08:52 PM
No more than $600
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/24/04 08:57 PM
Take a hard look at the 1.HSU STF-3... Flat to 25 HZ bass, and an excellent sounding unit. 2. SVS PB1-ISD... Flat to 20 Hz, slightly bigger than the STF-3, which gives the deeper bass. 3. SVS 20-39 PCi ... flat to 17 Hz, much bigger than either, though the size is in its 39 inch height...

All are $599... all are excellent !
Posted By: Msb1999 Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/24/04 09:05 PM
What are your thoughts on Velodyne? The CHT-15 is in my price range.
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/24/04 09:12 PM
The Velo is tuned for high output above 30 Hz... and drops very quickly below that. It is not a bad woofer, just not something that will hit the deep notes.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/26/04 01:46 PM
take craigs advice!! he didnt earn that name for nothing

bigjohn
Posted By: jeffbridges Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/26/04 05:50 PM
"I've been known to dabble in subs." LOL Like Picasso dabbling in art....
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/26/04 06:36 PM
Funny you mention Picasso... Wasn't he dead before anyone thought he was a REAL artist ?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/26/04 06:45 PM
craigsub--

are you trying to tell us something??

OK, someone kill craig.. he wants to be considered an artist!!

bigjohn
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/26/04 06:51 PM
No... Not killed... (Yikes !) ... and I am definitely not an artist... the Picasso reference just made me
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/26/04 06:52 PM
Made me laugh too. Believe you me!!!!!
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/26/04 06:58 PM
Everyone say hello to my new publicist, Jack. With him in my corner, fame is imminent ! ...
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/26/04 07:10 PM
Can we go back and discuss the killing part? Hmmm?
Posted By: Bplayer Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/26/04 11:49 PM
So I am just a browser and not a regular contributer, but have to comment. The banter about killing is really not funny, even in jest. It is not a far stretch to associate it with the perceptions highlighted in the movie Bowling for Columbine, even if the movie is categorized as comedy.

The twisted emails to a valuable contributer in the audio field almost led to a complete withdrawal. That would be everyone's loss.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:24 AM
With all due respect, it might be prudent to wait until you've been around a little longer before you start criticizing that which you don't understand. Do you really believe that what has been said in this thread has anything to do with the evil Craig courageously endured earlier this summer? I'm sorry you fail to see the humor, but maybe the problem is with you and not the humor.

Craig has been posting, off and on, here for months. And, I hope I don't overstate the situation when I say that he and I have become good friends, exchanging tongue in cheek jabs and jests frequently. Today alone I have received 12 emails from him in addition to our bantering posts. I think Craig knows the difference between what he endured, and what is contained in this thread.

It is my fervent hope you will stick around long enough that you, too, will be able to tell the difference.
Posted By: BigWill Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:26 AM
In light of the threats made to craigsub, I too was surprised at bigjohn's callousness.

Seriously though, I think Bplayer is right.

I saw a snippet of that Columbine movie while flipping through the HBOs. That fat bastard ought to be ashamed of the way he harassed old, Alzheimer-plagued, kindly Charlton Heston. If he wanted a good debate he should have found an NRA lawyer.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:28 AM
Now he's not gonna get that wink, Mark.

Never saw Bowling for Columbine. I'm not an MM fan.
Posted By: Wid Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:30 AM
This is true Ajax,I was thinking you and Craig were brothers the way you two go at each other.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:36 AM
fyi...Picasso was one of the few artists who actually gained fame while he was still alive.

Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:39 AM
Hey... Jack could be my DAD maybe... but brothers ?...

Jack, Seriously thanks for the kind words... and this is a great forum with some pretty smart guys...

BPlayer... I also appreciate your sensitivity to the "death by audio" e-mail... it took some guts to post what you did. Please also understand the guys here were poking fun... and when you dish out as much crap as I do... you better be able to take it...
Posted By: Wid Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:44 AM
How about ALOT older brother.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:47 AM
Oh gad. Now there's a terrifying thought. The fact is, if I had been a precocious young man, I am old enough to be his father. "What a revoltin' develoment." (10 points to anyone under 45 who can tell me what 1950s TV show that line was stolen from. The title character said it all the time.)
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:49 AM
I guess with today's miracles of medicine, that would be possible...
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:51 AM
I'm the Rodney Dangerfield of this forum. You should all have respect for your elders. Like Ray!
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:51 AM
Jack... The Life of Riley ?
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:53 AM
My son wins! William Bendix in "The Life of Riley." I shoulda made it anyone under 40. Drat! Not bad for a punk kid born in 1960.
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:56 AM
Ok... Who played the original Chester A Riley ?
Posted By: Wid Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:57 AM
You fellows crack me up.... Nobody under 45 would have known that.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 01:01 AM
Jackie Gleason, of course! Craig's under 45. BARELY!
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 01:04 AM
Wid... Have faith... I am known as a font of useless information...
Posted By: Wid Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 01:09 AM
I am 45 soon to be 46 and had no idea to either.Didn't watch much tv though.
Posted By: James_T Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 02:05 AM
Hehe. I think the important question is "Would anyone under 45 care?" ;-)

And I am stunned! My beloved google failed me when I tried to google that phrase. Or, maybe it was me. Yeah. That's it! It's my fault.

jr
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 02:08 AM
JR - Never underestimate the power of useless trivia.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 11:56 AM
craig, bigwill, jack, and bplayer- it was definitely a joke.. once i was reminded that craig was the victim of a non-joke threat, i realized my comment might have been taken out of context of its joking manner. point taken..

OK, so no more kill jokes.. how bout severly mame??

bigjohn
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:00 PM
Severely, as in how you spelled maim ? ... bigjohn, no harm, no foul here. In fact, overall, I find the guys here quite similar to the guys on AV123... Both are a good group of guys.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:07 PM
yes, about that bad!! i cant spell to save my life.. luckily, i dont get graded here, and ajax tends to let me slide.. he has been pushing that spell checker on me for a few months now. i might need to take him up on the offer.

bigjohn

Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 12:29 PM
BigJohn. You forget about the spell checker. What you have to say is far more important than if it is spelled correctly. I enjoy your posts very much.

Wish I could join you for the Cowboys/Browns game on September 19th. But, I'm such a rabid Browns fan, and you're much bigger (OK! AND younger) than I.

By the way. I had an auntie maim once.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 01:25 PM
HIJACK WARNING!!

jack- i actually have tickets to that game in dallas against the browns on sept 19. it will be the home opener for the cowboys. i will probably end up selling the tix, and go to a few other games later in the season. we usually go to 2-3 games a year, but that will drop with the new baby and all..

OK, i think i need to start a general football thread in the other forum.. i got lots to say, and this whole ricky williams thing is blowing me away.

this is where my two passions meet.. football and audio.. too bad someone hasent created a fantasy audio league.

bigjohn
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 03:27 PM
BigJohn ... I agree with Jack... Spelling errors are no real detriment. However... The spelling of mame there was TOO much fun to pass up...

Ok... Good Deeds time. BigJohn, If you and Jack think you might want to attend that Brown's-Cowboy's game, the airfare for Jack will be my treat. The way I look at it, 20 years from now, will I look back and think A."Wow, remember that new sportcoat I got when I was 44" ???... or B."Hey, It was cool to have been blessed enough to be able to afford to get two lunatics together for a great time" ...

B sounds WAY better....

Posted By: player8 Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 03:31 PM
John,

I couldn't agree more. Football and audio are my two main hobbies as well. And how Ricky Williams could do this to my Dolphins so close to training camp is unfathomable. I hope he enjoys getting high in the Asian mountains...
Posted By: bigjohn Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 03:44 PM
WOW, now thats a very generous offer. you would have to talk to jack on that one, and i would have to talk to the wife. like i said, i had made plans to go to some other games, but plans can be re-made. and i am never one to turn down going to a cowboys game.. or any game for that matter.

lets wait and hear what jack has to say, and go from there.. i am very open minded.

player8- ditto.. i can almost understand ricky's point of view, but he did it at a bad time.. he should have done this at the end of last season, or played this year, and retired at the end of this season.. but to put the dolphins in this situation was unexcusable. there aint no 'I' in team, and apparently, there aint no ricky either.

bigjohn
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 04:23 PM
Wow Craig! That's so gracious of you. And, I must admit, as I sat here thinking about it, It would be SUCH a great time. I've told John before that watching a game with him would be a real hoot. Doing it with both of you would be fabulous.

However, I'm in a situation where I simply cannot leave my Mother. She has dementia, and is easily confused and frightened. She has come to depend, irrationally, on my presence. I have actually come out of the shower, after being away from her for 15 minutes, to find her calling for help. I don't want to create the wrong impression. She gets confused, but is not completely out of touch with reality. However, she would NOT do well with any stranger. Even if she would, my only relative in the area (40 year old nephew), is having a kidney removed in the near future, and he couldn't give her the care she needs. She's a dear old lady, and I owe her BIGTIME. While it's hard taking care of her 24/7, it is no hardship.

But, I sincerely thank you, Craig. (In case you all haven't noticed, this is a kind and generous man) Someday, we'll get to sit down and watch a Browns game together. Of course, the bums will probably lose the game, but as compensation, you'll have the opportunity to hear the eloquent strings of profanity 50 years of being a Cleveland sports fan can create.
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 04:27 PM
Jack, I totally forgot about your current home situation... oops. You are right though, The Browns would surely lose if we were there...

I have an idea, maybe we can get them to play the Chagrin Falls Little Gridders...
Posted By: Ray3 Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/27/04 11:43 PM
Craig - great to see you land here for some light repartee. I hope your presence is more towards the permanent. I must admit that your sense of perspective has me concerned. An offer to fly a BROWNS fan anywhere is odd when there are so many deserving Steelers fans out there. It's also nice to see that you have apparently gotten past that earlier stupidity.

Posted By: curtis Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/28/04 12:13 AM
How about someone that lives in a city that has no NFL team??
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/28/04 12:24 AM
No problem, Craig. I'm so grateful for the offer. Your kindness will not be forgotten.

And, yes, RAY is a (shudder) Steelers fan. Oh the ignominy of it. There is only one thing a Steelers fan deserves..........Art Modell!
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/28/04 12:29 AM
Curtis, What do you think Jack and I have been talking about ? ..
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/28/04 12:30 AM
Jack, The most popular video in Pittsburgh last year was the X-Rated "Kordell Does Art in the Backfield" ...
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/28/04 12:35 AM
I'm on the floor again. My mother just looked at me like I'm nuts, I was laughing so hard. Score one for the kid from Erie! It's a good thing you're a Browns fan or I'd have to come up there and punch you in the knee. Ray, you keep to yourself that crack that is building up in your black and yellow brain.
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/28/04 12:43 AM
Jack, Teasing Pittsburgh fans is considered child abuse in some areas, but it is SO fun.
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/28/04 01:17 AM
By the way... Ray3, Thanks for the welcome back... and Primenti Brother still have the best "I drank too much" sandwich...
Posted By: Ray3 Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/28/04 03:28 AM
Well, since you can talk about Primanti Bros., I expect I can forgive you guys. BTW, I did see the video. I had no idea Art was such an attractive man.
Posted By: craigsub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/28/04 04:04 AM
Ray3 ... Words are failing me right now... Art and Attractive in the same sentence just hurts to think about...
Posted By: twodan19 Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/28/04 01:23 PM
wouldn't that be pittsburg?
Posted By: twodan19 Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 07/28/04 01:26 PM
i think that was filmed by the new england patriots, wasn't it?
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 08/31/04 04:24 AM
Sorry for the off topic response, but I was wondering about another recommendation of a sub.

How about the CHT-8 by Velodyne. It seems to go low enough for me but I am wondering about it's quickness and musicality. (It is probably placed poorly at the moment and I have no experience with subs so I don't trust my own experimentation yet). Sounds a little boomy but not bad at the moment. I know the drill of how to place a sub but I don't have but one place that will please the wife and protect the toddler from climbing up on it.

Thanks - Now back to football and inappropriate threats....
Posted By: curtis Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 08/31/04 04:30 AM
How much is that CHT-8?

I have read where Hsu's little STF-1 sounded better than a CHT-12.
Posted By: player8 Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 08/31/04 05:49 AM
Where did you read that at? I was thinking about doing a comparison of my STF-2 vs. my friends CHT-12.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 08/31/04 10:56 AM
Real good test & review of the STF-2.
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 08/31/04 12:51 PM
I paid something like $130 at J&R - then paid $40 shipping!! (for CHT-8).
Posted By: Foghorn Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 09/01/04 08:48 PM
The Velodyne CHT series is far better than any other subs I heard while shopping at the local audio stores. I own the CHT 12 and CHT 8 and like them both very much - for what I bought them for (home theater and music for CHT 12, secondary stereo with M22s for CHT 8). However, I have never heard the HSU or SVS subs and the folks here seem to be pretty reliable so if they say they are better than Velodyne they probably are. But if for budgetary reasons you end up with a Velodyne, rest assured you will be pleased. I had a "find the best subwoofer for under $200" mentality and also ended up getting the CHT 8 from JandR.
Posted By: izub Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 09/02/04 03:18 PM
Can you comment on this article New Axiom Subs Thanks
http://www.soundstage.com/traveler/traveler.htm
Posted By: michael_d Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 09/02/04 05:36 PM
I just went through this and was looking at the same subs you are. You have a lot of subs to look at for about $600 besides the one’s you listed, including cylinder subs. Due to my particular area where the sub has to go, I could not use a cylinder sub, despite some excellent input from forum members here. They seem to be preferred over box subs. I went with the Outlaw LF-1. I thought it looked cool and wasn’t too big. $570 + shipping. You might want to consider it. Audioholics has an excellent review of this sub, which tipped the scales for me. It ran neck and neck with a much larger, and more expensive SVS box sub. It’s worth a read too.

……..mike

Posted By: KOSMOS Re: HSU or SVS or Velodyne Subs - 09/10/04 03:55 PM
Has anyone heard the new Velo DPS series? A buddy just picked one up and has yet to hook it up. I'm just wondering how it stacks up to the rest. Apparently it has a built in equalizer and some other fancy stuff, but would it really make much difference?
Any thoughts?
© Axiom Message Boards