Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BigWill Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 01:59 AM
2x6 generously loaned me a spare Onkyo 282 100W 2 channel amp to see if it would help solve some issues in my HT. It has solved some of them.

For 2 channel listening not much difference, maybe none. Big difference for HT, though.

The Onkyo powers the mains, my Denon 2802 powers the center and surrounds. I feel much more comfortable turning up the volume now during movie watching, but the volume doesn't need to be cranked like before. Using an spl meter it hit 101 db at -12 on the volume scale during the whale scene of "Nemo". That was after recalibrating w/ all channels set near 0. Apparently the Denon is able to power 3 channels to much louder levels than 5.

My suggestion to those of you who feel your receiver may be lacking power, and/or damaging your speakers, would be to add an amp, but IMO it doesn't have to be a multi-channel monster. The results from adding this relatively inexpensive Onkyo have been pretty damn impressive.

When are you going to want this thing back, 2x6?
Posted By: Wid Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 02:08 AM
So does this mean you will be out shopping for another amp?If so what do ya have in mind.
Posted By: curtis Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 04:41 AM
you are now on your way to seperates!
Posted By: INANE Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 04:48 AM
$$$

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 04:54 AM
And here I was thinking that I'd be immune to upgraditis, but that post.... Hmm... amp good!
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 05:43 AM
BigWill, I got an ACURUS with your name on it! Just let me know!!!!! lol

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 06:12 AM
Glad it's working out, BigWill! I think the way to go is with used high end 2 channel amps. I have that spare M282 because I put a big Yamaha M80 in its place. It's a monster - stable with 2 ohm loads, 250 watts per channel continuous, 380 RMS into 8 ohms Damping factor 250 1kHz/8ohms. Can be picked up for about $300 used. Onkyo Integra amps, M504, M506, M508 and if you're into the true monster of them all the M510 are also excellent 2 channel amps. 504/506s can also be had for about $300-400. Those are 2 of my favorites, there are many, many more out there, of course.

or the big Technics amps

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 06:15 AM
Those aren't nearly as pretty! You're falling down on the job!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 06:18 AM
They're not bad looking for big sand amps!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 06:24 AM
I prefer blue lights with brushed aluminum, and maybe a few red lights.

Mmmm.... Marantz 2252B.... (I know, not an amp, but...)
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 06:39 AM
I like the big meters.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 06:42 AM
Yeah, me too, but I'd rather they were lit up in blue. (and yes, I've always liked blue lights, not just since the blue LED craze...)
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 08:29 AM
In reply to:

I prefer blue lights with brushed aluminum,

Mcintosh!
Posted By: Wid Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/07/04 10:55 AM
I also like the meters.I wish my Rotel had them.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 01:41 AM
I thought those were usually black... but maybe I just haven't seen enough of them.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 02:01 AM
The McIntosh has monster-sized meters. They are truly beautiful (if you like meters).

Now if you like pretty lights http://www.klipsch.com/media/Products/494_large.jpg

Posted By: rcvecc Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 02:16 AM
hey big will,you may say no now but i think your on your way to a full blown seperate system....never say never....its a sickness many of us here understand.....were here for you buddy
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 02:19 AM
Oh, you like blue meters?

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 02:22 AM
Didn't I say Mcintosh already? lol

:-)
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 02:22 AM
OK, so how about this monster?

Posted By: Wid Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 02:31 AM
What monster I see nothing.Or are you just teasing again?
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 02:34 AM
The funny thing is, McIntosh has not made any changes to the look of their equipment. If you where to buy a brand new one today, it would look very close to the ones sold in the 70's. To me it's a hate love situation.
I used to love the old 80's Technics amps like the one you showed.

Carver amps where also a thing of beauty, you would like their silver seven, it has tubes

Posted By: BigWill Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 02:54 AM
No, hopefully I'm not on my way to full-blown separates.

When I switched to the Beech finished Qs8s I also committed to putting them WAY out from the LP. Had to turn them up nearly to max to calibrate and was concerned about damaging my speakers.

The Denon 2802 has the power to drive 6 channels at something like 67 watts according to that website these guys have linked before. This could all be psychological, but driving 3 channels it seems to be much more within itself. When I crank the knob beyond -20 I'm getting appreciable gains in volume, whereas before it was pretty much flattened out.

All I'm looking for is a little more power and a little peace of mind.

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 04:43 AM
Picture won't stay up, but here's the link.

http://page.freett.com/knisi/m-510.html
Posted By: INANE Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 05:06 AM
My Dad has a McIntosh Amp and Preamp from the late 60's I believe. It is still the most beutiful thing I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. I totally dig their soft blue/green backlight and the big analog meters.

One day it will be mine!

Posted By: BigWill Re: Added an amp to my HT - 08/08/04 04:48 PM
I don't know if those '70s era amps will go with my decor. I really liked the looks of that one in your garage, but again it is far different looking than everything else I have in my rack.
Also, there is the danger of getting ripped off on one of those used amps in an internet deal. Obviously, NeverHappy wouldn't rip anyone off, but I don't think I need quite as much amp as that Acurus.
If the Onkyo I have in there now didn't keep falling asleep at really low volume levels, and if it had a little more power, it would be perfectly fine. Actually, it is perfectly fine.
© Axiom Message Boards