Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BigWill how about this amp on eBay? - 08/24/04 08:10 PM
Looking for an amp to drive my mains (M60s). Haven't heard any mention of this Hafler brand:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39783&item=5715259835&rd=1

Comments appreciated.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/24/04 08:18 PM
Hey bigwill,

I am aware of the Hafler brand, and believe that they made really outstanding quality gear. That could be a good value.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/24/04 08:20 PM
Hafler if I'm not mistaking is a Rockford Fosgate brand back in the 80's.
Posted By: Ajax Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/24/04 09:07 PM
I think BigWill is an eBay addict! Is there a 3 step program for people like him, or should we just take away his credit cards?
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/24/04 09:35 PM
BigWill, before you buy that, what is your budget? I don't like or dislike Hafler stuff but I do have one problem.....some of his earlier stuff was sold in kit form and not everyone who put them together knew what they were doing, nor did they always use the right parts.

Posted By: Wid Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/24/04 10:40 PM
Here is a nice one up for auction.

Hey Will Here's some more info on the Hafler amp you are looking at.
Posted By: BigWill Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/24/04 11:54 PM
Thanks, wid, that looks pretty good. Probably will go a bit higher before it's done,eh?

My budget is whatever the old lady lets me spend (or whatever I'm willing to hear her bitch about). I've got $150 OK'd already for the Onkyo amp I borrowed from 2x6. Should I find a smokin' deal on something great I might risk the earache.
I was also considering an SVS. I'm not sure how I'll be able to convince her we NEED both items.
Posted By: BigWill Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/24/04 11:59 PM
I read that review, wid. I believe I'll pass on this one. Thanks.
Posted By: ericb Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/25/04 02:09 AM
BigWill - which Onkyo amp did you borrow from 2x6?

I've been thinking about picking up a 2 channel amp and am somewhat budget constrained as well.

I saw this amp at J&R and was wondering if it might be similar to the one you were borrowing.

I would love to get that Rotel amp Wid recommended, an Audiosource Amp Two, or perhaps a set of Outlaw monoblocks, but I'm not sure I can stretch above $150 at this moment. I'm just looking to power a zone 2 so that I can free up my Denon's 6th & 7th channels, so anything above 80 watts probably wouldn't be necessary. Although upgrading my M22's to M60's has crossed my mind.

I'm sick. Somebody help me before I start spending the kids' college fund...
Posted By: BigWill Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/25/04 06:24 PM
The M-282, that's it. Works great except it falls asleep at extremely low volumes, like below -50 on my Denons volume scale. Sounds like it would more than do the trick for you.
2x6 picked it up as a refurb somewhere for much less than the JR price. Maybe you should drop him a line to find out where.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/25/04 06:40 PM
I had my M60's running on a Rotel RB-1070 and it was sweet indeed. I now use their RMB-1075 (5 channel) amp and it's also terrific. If you can swing it, I highly recommend Rotel amps as well.

Posted By: chesseroo Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/25/04 06:43 PM
I have an Anthem MCA unit on the way Bigwill. I can PM you and let you know how it works out if you're interested.
Posted By: BigWill Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/25/04 11:18 PM
Thanks guys. I'm debating. I want something super-cool, but I don't want to spend much.
Apparently the "falling asleep" at low volumes thing is unique to the Onkyo amp? Your Rotels never do that, Spiff?
Posted By: Wid Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/25/04 11:28 PM
I don't know about Spiff's but my Rotel has never done anything like that.I doubt his has either.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/25/04 11:34 PM
Nope.

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/26/04 03:27 AM
I still have a very nice Acurus with your name on it.............lol :-)
Posted By: alan Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/26/04 02:38 PM
Big Will,

David Hafler was an engineer who designed some classic components in the '60s and early '70s--the Dyna stereo power amps, tube and solid state. He left Dyna and started Hafler, which never really flourished. I'd be wary of SS gear that old. .

Historical note: Hafler kick-started the trend to surround sound by developing the "Hafler" surround scheme. If memory serves he incorporated it into some of the Dyna preamps. Everyone I knew tried out the Hafler circuit and the demo LP (vinyl) of choice was Joni Mitchell's Miles of Aisles. It decoded really well and pushed all the applause to the rear channel.

Regards,
Posted By: BigWill Re: how about this amp on eBay? - 08/26/04 04:46 PM
Thanks for the advice, Alan.

NeverHappy, that Acurus isn't exactly what I'm looking for - I need something cheap.
© Axiom Message Boards