Axiom Home Page
Well, Looks like I am going to get abit lucky on hurricane Frances, if you call 90-100 mph winds lucky, so now I am thinking sweet sound again. Looking at 25 remotes or so on my table!!! Does anyone have suggestions on as close as one can get to 1 remote. I have looked a bit at 8 and 12 componant remotes. Are these really practical, can I change center and rear settings as some movies seemed more biased than others, I use that function a fair amount. I am just looking for some simplicity, and a "somewhat" cleaner coffee table, all those remotes leaves less room for my cold beer!! Jon
Hi Jon,

What's your price range? I'm currently eyeing the Home Theater Master MX-700. It's a hard-button remote with 20 devices (sounds like overkill, but it allows for a lot of flexibility). It's programmed via a PC application and connecting cable. Macros are possible on nearly any key, and each device has 4 pages of 10 "soft keys" that can be custom named. This thing can truly replace all of your remotes, and the macro capabilities allow you to do nearly anything you want to simplify the use of your system for yourself and others.

Retail is around $350 I believe, but open box models can be found on eBay for around $170 shipped. If you're interested, I'd suggest checking out the review on remotecentral.com and even downloading the PC application to try out the programming. Happy hunting!

Scott
Hello Joninflorida,

Hope you are well. Stay safe down there. I use a Sony Integrated Remote Commander RM-AV3000. This unit is quite capable, and has 3 pages of user programmable buttons per device, plus the standard hard coded functions. This is great since my Harman Kardon AVR630 receiver has separte on and off buttons so I had to program an off button to go with the standard hard coded power button. It is very flexible but slightly difficult to program, but once set up is very good. I have my VCR, DVD, TV, and HK AVR630 being controlled by it, and never touch my regular remotes anymore, unless I forgot to program some button into it, then I have to get out the remote and program and label the function.

Just checked Sony's site, my model has been replaced with the RM-AV3100, here is the link.

Sony RM-AV3100 Link

It is $199 retail.

Looks like the new model is even better than mine, I feel some upgradeitis....lol. Of course I don't need it, the one I have is doing the job without any limitations yet.....

Later,

TonyM

Thanks Scott, I was ironically looking at the same thing, 169.00 (buy it now) Also saw a mx-1000, both seemed to download from the PC, I was just wondering if they are more trouble than their worth, Do they really perform all the functions?? If so, even though I hate spending money that has no true sound effect, I would part with 170.00 to have my girl shut-up about the maga remotes, and me always asking where a "certain" one is.
I have the MX-500 and love it.

check out remotecentral.com
Jon,

From what I've read, they really do perform all of the functions. Any commands that you can't find in their pre-programmed database can either be learned from the original remote or copied from other user's remote files posted on remotecentral.com. There's even a way to copy commands from files for the Philips Pronto (a touchscreen universal remote). Basically, if a command exists, you should pretty much be able to get it to work on the MX-700.

Flexibility is the name of the game with universal remotes, and in hard-button remotes, there doesn't seem to be anything out there that's more flexible.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/03/04 10:57 PM
Jon,

My brother is in Ft. Myers and he's all battened down......AGAIN! Be smart; be safe. We'll be thinking of you.

I gotta second the vote for the MX-700. For years I'd used the Sony model that Tony mentioned (first the 2100, then the 3000), and they are very good remotes. But I had two (and a half) complaints about them.

The size was problem one. If you have a coffee table in front of you, this wouldn't be a big problem. I didn't, and handling it was awkward, and uncomfortable.

The Sony's are touch screen models. They used to drive me nuts when I had a situation where I had to push a button on the touch screen multiple times to achieve the desired results, such as scrolling through a menu. I'd put my finger on the appropriate spot on the touch screen, look up at the TV screen to be sure where I was on the menu, and as I pushed to touch screen, my finger would drift off the appropriate spot and I'd be changing something I didn't want to change as well as NOT scrolling through the menu. This would make me crazy.

The "half" a problem is what Tony mentioned about it not being real easy to program. It's not real easy, but it's easy enough.

One more thing. The Sony only gives you a choice of 3 or 4 names for each touch screen button.

That brings me to the MX-700. Good friends Ray3, and TomTuttle, here on the forum encouraged, by example, that I check out the MX-700. I finally took the leap, and I'm happy as a clam I did. I LOVE this thing.

You can label each button along the screen exactly what you want (5 letters max length). Though not small, it fits nicely in the hand. It's a hard button remote (no touch screen buttons) so my finger no longer drifts (whew, thank heaven).

I would not call it easy to program, but it is a little easier than the Sonys. What makes it easier is that fact that you program the remote entirely on your computer, then download the configuration to the remote. This means that mistakes, and/or changes can easily be made in the software on your computer and then downloaded.

Should you lean toward the MX-700 I heartily recommend following Scott's advise by downloading the software, and the MX Editor Programming Manual, and playing around with it for awhile. I even printed the manual, all 66 pages (I printed on both sides of the paper ). Download, or run, the video tutorial also. I took me awhile to get the hang of the programming, but once I did, It gets pretty easy. And the reward is that this remote DOES IT ALL!

I got an "open box model" (not a flaw to be found) from Surf Remote Control for $190.66 shipped (using the SHIPDISC coupon code to reduce shipping costs). A new model can be found for less ($166.92 shipped) at TrendsAndGAdgets.com. Surf Remote Control is an authorized dealer, but I don't if TrendsAndGadgets is.

Should you decide to go with the MX-700 don't hesitate to holler for help if you need it. Ray, or Tom, or I will be glad to help.
I have an MX-800, a weird mini console Sony RM-TP501E remote, but my favorite, by far, is the Kameleon six-in-one from Radio Shack. Yes, that's right, Radio Shack.

This buttonless membrane surface remote has the brightest and most pleasant user interface of any remote I've ever used. If you can afford the $59 freight, grab one. You won't be sorry.
I'll put in a word for Harmony. I had the 768, which is great because it's VERY programmable. If you're willing to work w/ XML, you can create very complex macros. I've since moved to a 688 because I'm a heavy HD Tivo user. there's more transport buttons, which makes it easier. Expect this model to be even better priced since the replacement model just got announced, 686 or something like that. That's a good combo of the 659 and 688. My only complaint about the 688 are the buttons are little close. 686 solves that.
WHere can I find info on this 686? Logitech/Harmony's website only lists the 659 and the 688.

On that HT Master MX700, how does it work with small hands? My wife's hands are pretty small, and she would be the driving force behind a universal remote 'round here...
Hi Jon,

Stay dry and safe.

Jack's post about the MX-700 nicely summarizes my experience also. It's been a really great addition for me. Success in this regard (and most others) is measured by making my wife happy. She can now press one button to do just about anything she wants. It took a bit of time to program, but the results are great, and I really like the PC interface. I also got an "open box" model at surfremote and was extremely pleased with the service and product.

I can't believe Ray3 hasn't chimed in yet. He is the resident evangelist for this thing.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/04/04 12:25 AM
Ken,

I wouldn't call it small. The Harmony is noticeably smaller. Along the upper surface it's 9" long, 3" at it's widest (up by the screen), and 2 1/4 at the narrowest. The lower surface is roughly 8" long by 1 1/4 inch wide. The sides taper from the upper surface down to the lower surface. Not knowing the size of your wife's hands, I can't say if she would find it too large.

There is a SideKick MX-200 remote that works WITH the MX-700 (in the left hand menu, click on "Products," then "MX-200") . You can find it for as little as $50 here and elsewhere. Look at the MX Editor Programming Manual, and you'll see a photo of both on the cover. It is smaller and would be easier for your wife to use. Then you each could have your own remote.
Posted By: virtualexister Radio Shak Remote - 09/04/04 02:49 AM
I had one for a while

for the price it was great

expect to make it up in Batteries in one year!!

that thing ate batteries almost monthly (or close t it)

other than that i liked it a lot
Posted By: Daphoid Re: Radio Shak Remote - 09/04/04 04:10 AM
Fear my MX-700 Universal Home Theater Remote...

When I hit "DVD" it turns receiver on (if neccessary) changes it to "DVD", sets volume to -15.0 DB, turns on the TV, switches TV to Video3, Turns on DVD player, opens the drawer, I stick in a DVD and put it back in, and when I hit play my room lights dim to 20%.

fear me.

- D
Posted By: virtualexister yeah butt - 09/04/04 04:19 AM
does it MAKE POPCORN?

hahahaa

LOL
Jon,

We have a house in St. Pete and were down there for Charley My wife and I decided to leave on Thursday morning ahead of the evacuation order being announced and head for home glad we did the traffic would have been horrendous otherwise. Can’t imagine having to prepare yourself twice to go throught that. Keep your head down and stay Safe!

I like the Phillips pronto line of remotes, I have a TSU3000 for my upstairs system and a Ipronto TSi6400 for my HT setup downstairs these units are a little more complex to setup but they are fabulous I have a NTX6400 Network extender for the TSi6400 which allows me to use the remote from any room in the house through my wireless network, the Ipronto really works great and looks really and is a nice looking unit as well but they are expensive and they do require a lot of setup to get them working the way you like them.

I hope everything goes well for you, and after the strom finds you all safe.

John

Posted By: Zarak Re: Radio Shak Remote - 09/04/04 05:10 AM
Yup, sounds like you just need it to take the DVD out of the case and have it put it in for you and then push the tray back in and you wouldn't even have to get out of your seat
"The Sony's are touch screen models. They used to drive me nuts when I had a situation where I had to push a button on the touch screen multiple times to achieve the desired results, such as scrolling through a menu. I'd put my finger on the appropriate spot on the touch screen, look up at the TV screen to be sure where I was on the menu, and as I pushed to touch screen, my finger would drift off the appropriate spot and I'd be changing something I didn't want to change as well as NOT scrolling through the menu. This would make me crazy."

You just have to know how to program it correctly. The hard button wheel area controls the scrolling of any piece of equipment I'm currently using. I also programmed the 4 main hard buttons for my most frequent buttons (ff, play, rewind, pause on my directivo). I will say that touchscreen remotes aren't for everyone, but I love my sony commander. After over 1 year of use, I can even operate almost all of the functions for every component without looking at the touch screen.

Stew
Posted By: Wid Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/04/04 11:02 AM
I also have the Kameleon six-in-one from Radio Shack,as it was said earlier this thing chews up batteries.I seems like one month is all I can get with out having to change them.The damn thing lights up with the smallest amount of vibration.Bass from the sub even makes it lite up,so unless you have an endless supply of batteries stay away from this one.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/04/04 11:50 AM
In reply to:

You just have to know how to program it correctly.

I think I do. There are many "multiple push" functions that must be placed on the touch screen. For example. when I have it set up to watch a DVD the "hard button wheel area" controlled the menu scrolling for the DVD's menu, but the "search" function was on the touch screen, as was the FF/Rev which, needed multiple pushes to increase speed. And, with the Sony, there was no place to adequately set up scrolling for the monitor's or receiver's menus on the DVD device without using the touch screen. I am not so limited with the MA-700.

What about PIP? Do you have the PIP source, another multiple push function, set up for your hard buttons?

In reply to:

The hard button wheel area controls the scrolling of any piece of equipment I'm currently using.

What if you're using more than one piece of equipment? When watching TV, I can set up the "hard wheel control area" on the MX-700 to control the navigation through the programming guide provided by my cable box, while setting up a few of the hard buttons next to the screen to control navigation through my TV menus (or vice versa). This means I don't have to switch devices all the time when watching TV.

When watching a DVD, I'm using 3 devices; monitor, receiver, and DVD player. If I wish, I can set the MX-700 up so can control the scrolling functions of all 3 without having to change devices.

The Sonys are excellent remotes, but the MX-700 is more versatile, and less limited.
Hello Wid,

Hope you are well. That is a lot of batteries. The Sony lasted 8 months on one set of batteries, even with my selection of the backlight activation upon every button press. If the Sony is chosen it has great battery life.

Later,

TonyM
Posted By: Ray3 Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/05/04 11:39 PM
A bit late - sorry. jon, the MX-700 is an absolute gotta have. Can't overstate that. I had the Sony RM 3000 and it pales in comparison. The powerful and flexible attributes of the MX-700 are unbelievable. Also, you can downlaod the MX-Editor software and programming manual from Rempote Central (MX-700 files section). The real beauty is that you can icopy/paste Pronto/Pronto Pro .ccf files into the thing. Remote Central has almost 7000 different component files in the Pronto section and another large group in the MX-700 files section. Most of the input to here on this thread talks to the satisfaction of the 700. You'll wonder how you lived without it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Ray
Sorry, I meant 676. My 688 has a decent WAF. The URC6131 actually has a higher WAF, ain't bad for $18. Both her and I have tried to use her dad's MX500 and it drove us both nuts...

New Harmony
Posted By: alan Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/07/04 03:01 PM
Wid,

I agree with you on that Kameleon. Its proximity sensor is so sensitive that the thing lights up when you walk by it at night. It startled me when I'd wander around in the dark. Very annoying.

Regards,
Posted By: Wid Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/07/04 09:17 PM
Alan,

Yea the first time this thing lit up on its own I just about freaked.Believe it or not the damn thing will light up even when you sneeze by it.
Funny, what one person finds annoying, another finds desirable. The Kameleon has the brightest display of any of the remotes I have - others include a CHAD, an MX800, and Sony RM TP501e. Yes, if you step heavy you can activate the Kameleon which will light your way to the bathroom even in the dead of dark. This is good as you won't step on your dog, trip over shoes, or stub your toes. It is programmable, has macros and has a built in modem for upgrades. I'd think its night light quality would be a good thing for older fellas, Alan, how come you don't like it? Too bright for you?
Posted By: Wid Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/07/04 11:11 PM
2x6

The Kameleon would be a really good remote if the thing didn't use up batteries so quick.
I thought the same thing with the Kameleon. I guess people are having the same experience with the batteries that I am. For some reason mine won't run of rechargeables either. I also wish there was a way to turn down it's sensitivity. Mine is always turning on and off in movies due to the bass. Too bad, because otherwise I love the remote and it does have the "cool" factor.
Posted By: Chris Re: yeah butt - 09/10/04 06:14 PM
Can these remotes work lights/fans? I was told on another forum they can't. I have a fan/light that operates on a RF remote....can these be programmed for that?
Posted By: Ajax Re: yeah butt - 09/10/04 08:05 PM
Not sure which remotes you're referring to, Chris, but I use my MX-700 to control lights and even turn on my in-wall air conditioner. I'm using X-10 modules for both. You just have to be sure to get the correct modules. X-10 codes can be found at remotecentral.com.
Posted By: Chris Re: yeah butt - 09/10/04 08:39 PM
I was just told in general that there aren't any Universal Remotes that will work a ceiling fan / light IF that is normally controlled w/ an RF remote.

Do your lights normally have an RF remote or is it IR?

I have no idea about the X-10 codes you mentioned, I haven't really looked into anything yet, but IF possible, I definately want to get a remote that operates my ceiling fan as well. Are those codes something you download to a PC then transfer onto the remote?

Posted By: Ajax Re: yeah butt - 09/10/04 10:01 PM
X10 is a communications "language" that allows compatible products to talk to each other using the existing electrical wiring in the home. Most X10 compatible products are very affordable and the fact that they talk over existing wires in your home means that no costly rewiring is necessary.

Installation is simple, a controller plugs (or wires) in at one location in the home and sends its control signal (on, off, dim, bright, etc.) to a module which plugs (or wires) into another location in the home.

In my case, each lamp I wish to control plugs into a lamp module ($10). I use an $8 controller or a $20 controller to turn the lights on/off, and dim or brighten them (I have both).

To use your IR universal remote, like my MX-700, you need this IR543 controller which receives IR signals (the previous two don't). Just plug this controller in near your TV or audio equipment and it'll pick up the signal sent from your universal remote control, like my MX-700.

In order to get the MX-700 to work with the controller I had to download a bunch of files from [url= http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/rcfiles.cgi?area=mx700&db=devices&br=x10&dv=lighting&fc=]RemoteCentral[which contain the codes that operate the controller from the MX-700. I then loaded the codes into the MX-700 software on my computer, and then downloaded them to the remote itself. Viola. My MX-700 controls my lights

I control my in-wall AC by using a heavy duty 220V appliance module, and my Ideal-Lume Standard fluorescent back-light behind my HDTV, with a 120V appliance module. This is non-dimmable because you don't want to dim a fluorescent.

I don't know if it is possible to control your ceiling fan in this manner. But, if you peruse both of the web sights provided by the links above, you should get some idea if it's possible.

The basic control of the lighting is pretty simple. Getting it to work with the MX-700 is a bit more complicated. But, I've found it to be well worth the time and effort to set up.
Posted By: Daphoid Re: yeah butt - 09/10/04 11:51 PM
If all you want the fan to do is turn on and off, then yeah you can do that. Speed adjustments however are mechanical to the fan itself, and thus cannot be controller by the fan, again though, if you have speed controllers wired into a light/dimmer switch of some kind (thus it's electrical) then X-10 can be adapted for this purpose.

- D
Hey guys, thanks for all the great info, what details, you guys are great. Just got power back after 7 days, and let me tell ya, it s##ked!!! Anyhow, I am going with the mx-700 , Thanks for all the input. Finally watched TV and had sound, last night. Sooooo tired of generators, and chain saws, and all the other stuff. We got hit pretty hard, alot of tree damage, roofs, structual, and flooding. But I fared pretty well compared to others. Thanks again, Jon
Posted By: Wid Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/11/04 07:59 PM
Good to hear from ya.I wish you and your family well.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/11/04 09:17 PM
Jon,

My brother is in Ft. Myers. He knows exactly what you are talking about.

Batten down the hatches. Here comes Ivan. Actually, the latest storm track shows the East coast of Florida just barely OUT of the track. If Ivan just keeps moving more to the West than it does to the North, you should be in good shape. However, we all know the unpredictability of these doggone storms. I'll be thinking of you (and my brother).

Jon, If you have not done so, I recommend you download the MX Editor Software, MX Editor Tutorial, and MC Editor Programming Manual, and take the time to read the manual, and practice with the software, BEFORE the remote arrives. It'll just give you a head start. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Newegg has the MX-700 for $179 plus $4 for FedEx shipping. The price seems fair and I know from personal experience that Newegg is very reliable! And - I make nothing if they sell stuff from my endorsement!

- Bill

Newegg is good... I use them for computer parts all the time.
I've read so many good things about the MX-700 that I went ahead and ordered one from Newegg. I figured that if I'm not 100% happy with it, I can always sell it on eBay and won't be out all that much thanks to the reasonable Newegg price!
For what it's worth, it looks like they've addressed the battery life and sensivity probs on the Kameleon in the latest models. Following is from Design Technica site:

"I actually work for the company and we have redesigned the tilt switch which activates the EL panel so it is less sensitive. The newest Kameleons, the C6 Kameleon and the One For All Kameleon, have this revised EL panel along with improved battery life. Also these newer Kameleons have a super easy setup that basically walks you through the process, step by step. We were pretty rushed when it came to making the Radio Shack version and didn't have the time to take full advantage of the technology. I highly recommend checking out the One For All Kameleon as it has the latest bells and whistles. Well worth the price."

They have the new ones at Best Buy and Circut City around $90. I might have to try one out and post my thoughts. (I'm only leary because the name reminds me of that stupid Culture Club song)

Posted By: Wid Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/12/04 07:04 PM
When I called Radio Shack consumer line thats exactly what they told me.Unfortunatly they don't give any type of credit towards a new one if in fact you have the first generation that will kill your wallet on batteries.
I just seen the MX500 for only $90. The MX700 is almost $200. I only need it to control TV/DVD/VCR/CD?Cassette/Direct TV.

Will the 500 do the trick? Is there any reason I need to shell out the Xtra $$ and go w/ the 700?
Posted By: Ajax Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/16/04 09:18 PM
Chris, I own and love the MX-700, and have no experience whatsoever with the MX-500. The 700 has certain advantages over the 500 (can be easily programmed on your computer, etc.) But, based on your needs, if the 700 is out of your budget, it's my guess that you would be very happy with the MX-500.

Curtis, who is a frequent visitor her uses a 500, I believe. You might PM him and ask what he likes and dislikes about it, and if he would recommend it to you.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/17/04 02:19 PM
Chris, I had the MX-500 and liked it alot. I now have the MX-700 and LOVE it. The 700 is more powerful and more flexible than the 500. The 500 is very good, the 700 is excellent. Kind of a Chevy to Lexus comparison.

Aside from the additional capabilites of the 700, it also allows you to set up/program/revise/tweak using the MX-Editor software. Not only can you use the 600+ files for the 700 at Remote Central, you can use the 7,000 .ccf files for Philips Pronto & Pronto Pro. I like the Pronto files because you can drag & drop the commands into the 700.

IMO, this is a no-brainer if $$ aren't an issue for you. The extra $100 would be money well spent for the hours of simplicity and enjoyment the 700 will give you.

Ray
What price can I expect to pay for the $700...was $200 (open Box) a good buy?

What's it cost new at other online sites?
I got my MX-700 at surfremote.com for about $200, including shipping. It was new in every way. Fine, fast service. I am 100% satisfied with the unit and the vendor.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/17/04 07:45 PM
I, too, got mine at SurfRemoteControl but mine was an "open box" model. I don't think the box had ever been opened at all. Using the SHIPDISC code, the whole thing was $190 shipped.

It can be had at TrendsAndGadgets for $167 shipped, but I don't know if TrendsAndGadgets is an authorized dealer. SurfRemoteControl is an authorized dealer, I believe.

Do a Google search for "Home Theater Master MX-700" and see what you can turn up.
Posted By: leaf Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/17/04 08:29 PM
htpc fan here so I use a Firefly from Snapstream, a usb-uirt and a little program called girder. Total cost $120. With this I control computer(just about any program),tv,vcr,dvd,reciever, 2 cable boxes,and my ac for chuckles. Oh and from anywhere in my apartment...fun to pause a dvd from the kitchen when guests are over.

Not simple to set up though
Posted By: Wid Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions - 09/18/04 03:40 AM
Anyone with the Kameleon that eats the battiers up give Radio Shack a e-mail.I did and here is what they said.

"Thank you for taking the time to email us and express your concerns. I
am sorry to read of the problem. This product is a high-drain device
and the shortened life span on the batteries is not considered a
manufacturing defect. If you would respond back with your address I
will send you $20 in Customer Appreciation Coupons that you can use
towards the purchase of replacement batteries at your local store, or
if
you wish, you can use the coupons towards the purchase of the Kameleon
8-in-1 remote. Please let me know if you would like to take advantage
of this offer."

Hey what the heck at least it's some free batteries.

© Axiom Message Boards