Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme HD tivo? - 09/07/04 06:34 PM
Can tivo record HD? We're this close (holding finger tips really close together) from getting a tivo, but I'm hesitant to buy something that won't record HD, as I'm hoping to be in HD land by next Spring.

Posted By: ericb Re: HD tivo? - 09/07/04 06:42 PM
I don't think you can make a HD recording with TiVO as it is a copy protected signal (HDCP). Check this post out from board member Bilbo Baggins.

oops...wrong url. try this
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HD tivo? - 09/07/04 06:59 PM
Thanks.

Posted By: curtis Re: HD tivo? - 09/07/04 07:04 PM
There is Hi-Def DirecTiVo.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HD tivo? - 09/07/04 07:06 PM
We don't have DirectTV. We'll likely not be getting it either. Though I guess it's always a possibility. I guess I should look into that possibility before making my Tivo decision.

Posted By: curtis Re: HD tivo? - 09/07/04 07:58 PM
my brother has Voom service.....and likes it a lot. They are coming out with a DVR too.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: HD tivo? - 09/07/04 08:50 PM
You can only do that w/ HD DirecTivo. I have it and it's a "god-box". I've recorded shows in HD (6' under, Seabiscuit, etc) and the picture is great. I have it running via DVI to my plasma. Your only other HD DVR option currently, is the Dish 921 PVR.

It's got a built in OTA HD tuner so I can record the free OTA HD channels too. Technically, you could by the HD DirecTivo and record HD w/o using DirecTV, but you won't get the guides because you're not a subscriber. It'd be expensive, $900 to $1K though. Then you'd be able record the Hawaii based shows like North Shore (Fox) and Hawaii (NBC) in order to hear actors speak w/ a horribly fake pidgin accent...

BTW: I'm not a tennis fan, but the Open in HD looked VERY good. Even my wife, who's sometimes bewildered by my HT obsession, said that the HD looked incredible.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HD tivo? - 09/07/04 09:24 PM
Tennis in HD on a 62" tv is my dream goal.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: HD tivo? - 09/07/04 11:18 PM
I won't be happy until a tennis match is displayed IN my living room in 3D Projected-Holographic Realism.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HD tivo? - 09/07/04 11:19 PM
LOL...I'll settle for 62 inches of HD.

Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 12:25 AM
Spiff,
I actually sacrificed HD on my TV in family room to accomodate Tivo... just couldn't wait any longer. The box was only 80.00 after rebate. I figure when the Hidef comes out, I'll think of upgrading. The hi-def DVR are suggested to be pretty pricey, so I'll do a wait and see. But, I must say, Tivo is all they say. It is fun to have menu of your favorite stuff to pick from.

Good luck with your decision. I say -- get it now, upgrade later!

Posted By: Zarak Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 05:46 PM
Speaking of tennis, I was just out at the USOpen day session yesterday. I got rained out last year, so it was nice to get a chance to actually see them play this time

It was a good day full of tennis and some nice woman gave us her tickets as a seat upgrade to the second level. I enjoyed it, but was ready to come home by the end of the day.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 07:04 PM
I found out yesterday that a friend of mine in NY could have given me a pair of tickets to the entire US Open (yeah, every day, every session) in BOX seats, with "back court" passes. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

I think I'll be going next year! (If he can still swing the tickets!)

Posted By: curtis Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 07:31 PM
Oh WOW!!!

I am going to try and go Labor Day weekend next year....but have you seen the price for good tickets?

Serena got a bad call yesterday....real bad. I was pulling for Capriati.....nobody wants to win like that. A very pivotal point....and the call was not close in my book. We called that a "hook" in my college playing days. A call that bad, and I would have been like classic McEnroe.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 07:45 PM
In reply to:

classic McEnroe

WHAT?? ARE YOU BLIND?? IT WAS ON THE LINE!! CHALK FLEW UP!! YOU ARE STUPID!!

oh, i forgot the part where he went back to the dressing room and sucked on his momma's tiddy like a little baby. i never saw how people admired him. he was a spoiled rotten, bratty little $hithead..regardless of if he could play tennis or not. he was a horrible sport, and even less of a role model.

i never watched his show on msnbc, but the 4 people who did said it wasnt very good anyway!!

bigjohn
Posted By: alan Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 08:11 PM
Spiff,

I'll tell ya, the US Open looked so spectacular in HD on my Samsung DLP 50-inch, I wouldn't dream of getting off my couch and sitting in the hot sun in Flushing. But I gotta stay out of the sun, anyway (years of sailing, skin cancer, etc. no problem now. . .). I haven't watched that much tennis in years. The match between Mary Pierce and the Russian 17-year-old was amazing.

To his credit, McEnroe kept his trap shut much of the time. In fact, I was pleased that the tennis commentators had the grace to simply keep quiet, something that the Olympic commentators might learn from.

Regards,
Posted By: bigjohn Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 08:15 PM
In reply to:

something that the Olympic commentators might learn from.

AMEN, brother!!

especially the gymnastic commentators.. those guys were horrible.

bigjohn

Posted By: spiffnme Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 08:33 PM
One call? Try like 3 or 4! I don't really care for Serena or Jennifer, but there's no doubt Serena got screwed big time. She may have not won the match, but those four calls could EASILY have changed the outcome.

Johnny Mac played before my tennis watching days. All I know is that I've seen a few old matches of his and that man did things with volleys that I've never known were possible. He's now aged into a geniune boon for the sport. No one does as much for tennis right now as he does. No one is better at commentary. No one promotes the sport as much as he does. He A-OK in my book.

Btw...watched his show on CNBC a couple times. You're right - it sucks. Bummer.

Posted By: curtis Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 09:50 PM
As bad as McEnroe's tantrums were on the court, you have to understand the frame of mind McEnroe worked best in. He played the best when he felt it was him against the world.....and his mind put him in that state.

His hand quickness and footwork were his weapons. His serve was OK...but he is a lefty which puts him at an advantage.

Being 40, my favorite players were/are Connors, McEnroe, and Gerulaitis. I liked Borg too...but not nearly as much.

The younger guys....I like Sampras, also helps that I knew him when he had a two-hander, Marat Safin, and Taylor Dent.

On the women's side.....I like watching the Russians.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 09:52 PM
In reply to:

I wouldn't dream of getting off my couch and sitting in the hot sun in Flushing.

But at least if you attended the US Open, you'd be able to tell people you sat on a crapper in Flushing.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 10:50 PM
In reply to:

The younger guys....I like Sampras, also helps that I knew him when he had a two-hander, Marat Safin, and Taylor Dent.

Pete would love you for saying that. Hehehe..."the younger guys..." LOL

My personal favs...

Roger Federer (been a fan of his since he beat Pete at Wimbledon.) Variety keeps the game fun, and your opponent off balance.

Andre - A CLASSIC baseliner. I love how he moves people side to side until they simply can't hit another shot. He helps me remember to be patient on the court.

Marat Safin - What a head case. If he ever gets his head screwed on straight, he'll be unstoppable. Until then I'll just enjoy looking at him. Damn he's hot.

Amelie Mauresmo - Love her all court game. I just wish she'd stop choking away big matches in the Slams.

Justine Henin - Love that backhand.

Posted By: Zarak Re: HD tivo? - 09/08/04 11:13 PM
If you can't use them, I'd be happy to use them
Posted By: bigjohn Re: HD tivo? - 09/09/04 01:04 PM
when i was younger, i used to always like boris becker.. his prime was short, but he was 'tha man' for a while there!

bigjohn
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HD tivo? - 09/09/04 04:15 PM
Boris's "herky jerky" motion before serving drives me crazy. Why the heck does he do that?

Posted By: curtis Re: HD tivo? - 09/09/04 09:57 PM
I'd do it too if I could serve like he did.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HD tivo? - 09/09/04 11:03 PM
From what you've told me, your serve is nothing to sneeze at.

Posted By: curtis Re: HD tivo? - 09/10/04 05:34 AM
that was many moons ago.....
© Axiom Message Boards