Axiom Home Page
Posted By: addicted Is this really the receiver I should get? - 09/14/04 09:38 PM
OK, so I've done some research and so far the best receiver for me seems to be the Harmon Kardon AVR 630. Is there anything that would surpass this receiver, keeping in mind that i can probably get it for only $700
Posted By: TonyM Re: Is this really the receiver I should get? - 09/14/04 09:45 PM
Hello addicted,

Hope you are well. I own the H/K AVR 630, it is a fantastic receiver. The only annoying thing it does is its autosense for digital material, it goes mute for 2 seconds to detect what kind of source material is being played when hooked up via digital input. So, on DVDs it switches maybe 3 times from menu, to previews, to movie...each time muting for 2 seconds to go from pro logic to Dolby Digital etc...once locked on it is fine.

The power and features of this receiver are top notch, and I believe you will enjoy it. Make sure you have a strong shelf, it weighs in at a hefty 41 pounds.

Later,

TonyM
Posted By: JohnK Re: Is this really the receiver I should get? - 09/14/04 11:17 PM
Ad, welcome. You haven't described what features of the 630 lead you to believe that it might fit your needs best. Two other attractively-featured receivers that can be had for $600 or less are the Denon 985(identical to 2805)and the Yamaha 5790. You should give them consideration as well.
ditto what JohnK says, I have the 2805. Although my Axioms don't arrive until Friday, , I have my 2805 hooked up to my 1980's Pioneer 4-way CS60 loudspeakers, AR center, infinity bookshelf surrounds...and this thing sounds totally awesome, can't wait till the real deals arrive.

Randy

Just bought the HK AVR630 off eBay this week, I got it delivered for $641.00 US from HK....Good buy...
Alright, thanks a lot for the advice.
I have been considering ordering either this or the hk avr 430. But,I don't think I would care for the audio drop outs I have been reading about on other boards. I also have some concerns about reliability issues with HK. I perceive that they have a less than stellar QC record. A few years ago there was what you might call a trading center in my community. It was a store that dealt mainly in low quality furniture and refurbed electronics. They sold HK receivers and amps. The shelves were stacked high with refurbed HK gear. Every since then I've been leary of them. Over the years I've owned Pioneer and Yamaha, and have never had one problem. HK may well possess an awesome sound, but I just can't get myself to pull the trigger on one of them. I know there are many happy HK owners on this board, but their products frankly scare me.
My experience with HK QA/QC has been wonderful. I bought a refurbished AVR 125 from an unlicensed online dealer. It had want turned out to be a troublesome short that caused the unit to cut out. After 2 trips to a local HK licensed repair shop-HK not only agreed to let me to return the unit (even though I had not bought it from a licensed dealer) they also upgraded me to the next generation AVR 130. When the finances allow I will definitely upgrade to another HK. Many people on this board are using HK receivers, the cut out is annoying, but it isn't a real big deal. Don't hesitate to go with HK after some comparison shopping.
I don't have the AVR line but the Stereo HK3480 has been wonderful, it doesn't run as hot as the onkyo after hours of cranking, and to my ears the SQ smoke the Onkyo and Yamaha when pair up with the M2i.
Posted By: curtis Re: Is this really the receiver I should get? - 09/24/04 06:53 PM
One of the greatest features of the upper level HK AVRs when teamed with Axiom speakers is the bass management. Since the -3dB points of the mains, center, and surrounds are fairly different, the bass management on the HK AVRs lets you set different crossover points for each.
Posted By: TRG Re: Is this really the receiver I should get? - 09/24/04 10:25 PM
Get the AVR 630! I have one with an Axiom/HSU speaker system and it brings a smile to my face every time I listen to it. My friends can't believe it when they come over.

I can't get it past -20 on the volume control. Lots of power to spare. And ditto to the bass management comment made earlier.
I recently purchased the HK 7200 from One Call. The 7300 replaced it, so you can get a pretty good deal on it. I haven't done a comparison of it to the 630, so I don't really know the pro's / con's of each. The 7200 is a friggin power house though. It's a monster at 53 pounds. I think I paid around $900 shipped, new in the box with warrantee. Shipping was $150 (FedX to Alaska). You can most likely still find one on the internet somewhere, new in the box. I didn't see it available at One Call anymore, bummer. For your reference, the 7300 is going for $2200 and the 7200 was going for $1800 when it first came out.

One annoying feature that both these share is no Bass/Treble control over the second zone. All you get is straight stereo. If other multi zone receivers have more control of the second zone, I'd seriously look at them.
I agree. My 630/Axiom setup is da bomb!

The "drop out" issue really isn't a big deal. I don't even notice it anymore.
Question: Does the 630 perform video up-conversion to component video? I scanned through the website and the owner's manual and I didn't see it. I was also looking for multi-zone capability, which I did find in the manual. Their website isn't particularly detailed about the features.
Well, I had to find out about this HK stuff, so I took a 15 minute trip to a dealer who has HK. I was able to listen to an HK avr 330. After that audition I went to another hi-fi shop to listen to a Denon 2805, a Pioneer Elite 55tx and the Yammie 1400. These are my impressions. The HK was cheap looking and I was afraid I was going to break the volume knob. The sound was tinny and lackluster probably due to that shops inadequate set up. I was not impressed with the HK or the Paradigm bookshelves I was listening to.

At the second shop, I found the sound of the Elite to be somewhat average, while the Yamaha and the Denon were impressive. If I was going to buy a new receiver today, I would buy the Denon.

After this short trip I returned home and listened to my old Yammie with my Axiom speaker system. I said to myself, "self, this sounds darn good." I wasn't impressed with the HK I listened to. I either don't get it or this shop has no idea or desire to set up a system properly. I'm hoping that the later is true. Furthermore, I would like to state publicly that sometimes I forget how nice my Axiom speakers really are until I go listen to something else in a shop setting. AXIOM ROCKS!
Posted By: curtis Re: Is this really the receiver I should get? - 09/27/04 12:47 AM
Kind of tough to judge the sound of three seperate receivers in three seperate locations with three different speakers.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is this really the receiver I should get? - 09/27/04 12:53 AM
Dude, you really hate the H/Ks, don't you?

I would put that "tinnyness" down to the speakers and their positioning, myself. I suppose they could have totally screwed up the reciever settings, but...

Anyway, I don't particularly like the new H/K look myself, but my 525 is quite solid and seems well built.
Nah, I don't hate them. I have read many postive comments about them. I have yet to come to the same conclusions based on listening tests. Maybe I need to get my ears flushed again.LOL
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is this really the receiver I should get? - 09/27/04 01:44 AM
Maybe you need to listen to them with decent speakers in a decent listening environment!
U-MM, Could be.
The AVR 330 is pretty far down the H/K food chain. As with any product, you get what you pay for.
"Question: Does the 630 perform video up-conversion to component video?"

Can anyone address my question? Thanks.
No it doesn't. From the owners manual:

In reply to:

Video Connection Notes: • When the component video jacks are used, the onscreen menus are not visible and you must switch to the standard composite or S-Video input on your TV to view them. • The AVR 630 will accept either standard composite, S-Video or Y/Pr/Pb component video signals. However, it will not convert composite or S signals to component video. • Component or composite video signals may only be viewed in their native formats.

Too late for me to chime in?
Get the cheapest receiver that does DTS and has preouts for external amps. Done.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is this really the receiver I should get? - 09/27/04 11:12 PM
Amen, brother.
will- i think thats the simpliest, most concise answer i have ever seen on here..

its pretty easy when you think of it that way.. i am trying to decide if i wanna hit my wife up for a 5 channel x 150wt amp for christmas.. i figure it will be cheaper than the 42 inch plasma, or the new 600 sub..

lesser of three evils is always the best shot!!!

bigjohn
LOL, I did sound a little curt, eh? Not much time for this stuff anymore unfortunately.
I was looking at a 3 channel amp from ATI before I settled on the two channel Onk from 2x6. It seems like the amps in your receiver should be able to power SOMETHING, don't you think? I'm very pleased with the addition. Seems to have improved the HT's dynamic ability (could also be placebo effect) and has definitely given me a little peace of mind. Not cranking the volume knob anywhere near as high as I was.
I totally agree. I wanted to hear the 630, but the shop I went to didn't have it in stock.
Thanks NH. I missed that when I scanned the manual.

Well, that's a downer. Since I'm using a ceiling-mounted projector, I would prefer to have this option on my receiver. Oh well.....back to the Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer investigation.
© Axiom Message Boards