Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Anonymous QS-8 setting? - 03/28/02 12:42 PM
When using QS-8's as the rear surrounds, what setting would get the best performance? Setting them as small or large?

Thanks.
Posted By: alan Re: QS-8 setting? - 03/28/02 03:23 PM
Hi Anonymous,

If you're running a subwoofer, I'd opt for "Small" so the sub assumes the duties of deep bass and lets the QS-8's woofers handle upper bass (from 100 Hz upwards) without the stress and potentially increased distortion that might occur if you selected "Large". Choose the latter if you aren't using a subwoofer. Listen to the results using both settings if you like, and make your decision on that basis, but I run my surrounds on "Small" (with a sub).

Regards,
Posted By: Anonymous Re: QS-8 setting? - 03/28/02 09:59 PM
Thanks for your reply. My question then becomes, if you set the QS-8 to small, then aren't you basically making the QS-8 and QS-4 equal? I mean, the only difference (other than the efficiency and ohm rating) between the QS-8 and QS-4 is that the QS-8 goes down to 60Hz. So if you set to small, then on most systems the crossover is at 80Hz thereby negating the QS-8's ability to go lower than the QS-4. In effect, wouldn't the QS-4 and QS-8 sound equal if they were set to small, since neither would be able to go below the 80Hz crossover?
© Axiom Message Boards