Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 02:51 AM
I know that this has probably been beaten to death here, but I thought that I would ask. We are putting a theater area in our basement, but I need to know if I will gain any benefits from anything about 5.1 surround.

I don't own Axioms yet, but I will be getting M22ti fronts, VP-150 center, QS-8 Surrounds, and a to be determined sub (dare I say most likely not an Axiom???). Anyhow. We will be putting up a nice 90-100" screen and projector (phase 2 of my money spending) and I want "WOW" kind of sound. The home I moved from 2 years ago had a dedicated home theater room, but just a 48" TV and KLH (yuck) speakers. I know that I am going to be amazed by the Axioms, but I need to know if I should start wiring for 6.1 or 7.1 and more importantly, if I should start saving some extra cash to buy the addition speaker(s)....

Here is a link to a picture that is fairly to scale of our basement. The screen will go on the far right side of the "top" part of the diagram.

I am just afraid of sound getting "lost" behind the seating area, but I have already agreed with my wife that we will not be making a separate room for this. WIth a 980SqFt basement (small if you ask me) for our newer 2 story home, I don't want to chop it up.

And No, the other area is a game room and must remain a game room. It is tucked away nice and neat for a home theater, but then all of my big toys would be in the main basement area and my wife said "no way!"....

Anyway, any help would be great.

Here is the link to the basement diagram...

http://www.buol.us/images/basement.jpg

Nick
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 03:02 AM
hey Nick,

that HVAC and drainage pipe may give you lot's of grief in terms of unwanted noise in your HT area. Is there a way to put a wall there?

I would get 7.1 if you're willing to spend that much. Just remember, most DVD's now are only 5.1, some are 6.1 but are generally matrixing the last rear speaker.

If you listen mostly to movies, get two pairs of QS8's for the back. If you listen to DVD audio or other 5 channel audio, get a second pair of mains for the back.

Your area is not huge so it's a budget thing. If you can afford, go 7.1. If you can't 5 or 6.1 will be more than enough. I used to have a space about that size and filled it really nicely with M22 mains, QS4 rears, VP!50 center and EP125. Bass lacked a little but then I boosted to an EP350 and problem solved. My receiver's an inexpensive Denon 1602 with a modest 70wpc into 8ohms.

What you're buying far tops that

good luck, and happy listening
Posted By: nickbuol Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 03:11 AM
The drain will be hidden by a well designed custom equipment rack. The drain will be boxed in, and extra precautions to ensure protection of the equipment. On the "left" side of that will become some storage shelves for the basement. My neighbor is a professional woodworker and carpenter, and I help him all of the time with his computer problems, so he is going to built something nice for me.

As for the HVAC duct, not much I can do there. It will be surrounded in insolation and enclosed in a frame and drywalled up to try to isolate the sound from "leaking" into the room...

Keep the ideas coming...

Posted By: joninflorida Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 03:23 AM
Hey Nick, congrats on the new place. We don't have basements here, in fact I have never been in one, so consider the extra sq. ft. a bonus!! Where's the popcorn machine?????? Anyhow, I have your identical m-22/150 c.c./Qs-8s set-up in a "similar" type room size. It will ROCK with the right sub-or subs I run (2) earthquake supernovas, my neighbors thought they hated the Harley.LOL. If it were me I would analize the room, and wire for 7.1. Make your marks in a non obtrusive maner (small non-permanet markings) wire is relativly inexpensive. We all have a tendency to UPGRADE down the road. I would love to have open walls again!!! wire it up, better safe then sorry. If you want more you got it.

P.S. if you are worried about drainage noise on the HVAC end, I am a HVAC contracter, use 1-1/8 O.D armo-flex insulation on 3/4 schedule 40 PVC pipe, but use the heavy 1/2" outer wall wall, not the standard 1/8" wall, about a $5.00 additional expense, it will offer better sound dampening. Jon
Posted By: SirQuack Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 03:44 AM
Hey Nick, just got your PM over at AVS and responded to it...these guys here at Axiom will not lead you a stray like the AVS folks do, man I was so confused over there listening to people that probably never heard the Axioms say, oh there to bright, or they are to harsh...whatever...based on my audition down in KC awhile back that sold me they were very detailed and accurate, there is a difference. My set up should arrive tomorrow as long as Fed Ex doesn't keep jacking me around (read my post in the questions forum.)

By the way, I live in Norwalk, not Des Moines... later

Posted By: nickbuol Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 12:40 PM
OK. I may just run wires for both 6.1 and 7.1 so that I can do either, however I still need to know if I will gain much by going beyond 5.1?

Even with a 30 day money back, I have been told that in my area I won't gain much, but that was on a different forum where people have larger dedicated home theater rooms....

Posted By: ringmir Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 12:54 PM
I say, if you're putting in wiring, put in wiring with room to grow. (ie: wire for 7.1, and any other extra goodies you may add later) Then set yourself up with a nice 5.1 system and test drive it for a few months. Personally, I am quite content with 5.1, I'm planning to buy a 7.1 receiver when I upgrade soon, but mostly so that I have a second room option.

With the current DVD selection, 7.1 does not add much. That's not to say it won't in the future, but for the time being there's not much out there that would take advantage of it.
Posted By: TurboDog1 Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 01:08 PM
Nick-

First of all, you might want to consider QS4s with your size room and then investing that savings into a second pair or a pair of direct-radiatings for the rear.

I have not personally heard true 6.1 or 7.1 yet, but I am fully confident that it will be better. Think about the difference you heard between Pro Logic and 5.1. The distinct sound isolation was amazing. Now, take that same concept and think about doubling the possible distinct channels for movies to utilize. There's no way that can't sound better when they really start utilizing it. Movies with that "drive-by/fly-by" sound in the rear will probably have a smoother transition in the rear between L & R speakers. Plus, just think about how good SACD & DVDA will sound when they start recording in 7.1. Man.....I'm drueling over here.

I am in the process of finishing my basement, so I can empathize with your decision process. I went ahead and wired out for 7.1, but don't yet have the rear surrounds or a receiver that can do 6.1 or 7.1. However, I am quite sure that will change. There's no way I'm going to be able to sit and look at those wires and not want to know what it sounds like.

Good Luck

Posted By: nickbuol Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 02:13 PM
I really like what I have heard about the QS-8 over the QS-4 (still a nice speaker), plus they would be timbre matched to the rest of the speakers (fronts/center)...

Since I can't get an answer to my question about "is it worth it" (because everyone has their own opinion, and I will need to develop my own)I think that I will wire for 6.1 and 7.1 and start with 5.1 (with QS-8 surrounds) and add on later if I need to.
Posted By: Riffman Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 02:17 PM
nickbuol, I would definitely wire for 7.1 just in case you would want to upgrade later. I am one, however, that believes your money can better be spent elsewhere than on 2 extra speakers. 5.1 is plenty good enough for me. If you have it wired, it will be to upgrade in the future but for now, I would spend the money on nicer quality components.

Posted By: lomb7 Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 03:11 PM
If it were me I would wire for 7.1. It cannot hurt. Is it worth it? Maybe in the future but it always sucks to wire short and then have to go back in. Get your 5.1 speakers set up and when you are ready you can order more speakers. If you order from someone like Axiom you can return them if you cannot hear/feel the difference between your current 5.1 and a 7.1 system.

Regarding the QS4's. I have them and am kicking myself for not going with the QS8's. IF you are going to listen to music in that room you may want to think about the M60's. I have both the M60's and the M22's and the M60's are much nicer to listen to movies on along with music.

Good luck and when it is all done, send pics!
Posted By: BrenR Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/17/04 05:08 PM
In reply to:

Regarding the QS4's. I have them and am kicking myself for not going with the QS8's.

Why exactly? I have QS4s and I have no problem with them... just curious.

Bren R.
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 09/18/04 02:13 AM
are you running wire or "fishing" wire through dry wall.

If you're doing fresh wiring -- than by all means 7.1!!

And, before you buy the extra 2 axioms for 7.1, just use a set of old speakers so you can better understand what effects your room will provide for a 7.1 environment. then step it up with 2 more QS8s!!

I love 7.1. I just think it adds more depth to the sound tracks.

Good luck with your project. Are you going DLP or LCD on the projector?

Posted By: Misfit_Toy Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 10/15/04 08:20 PM
I have to second the 7.1 setup. If you're doing a dedicated HT room...by all means do the 7.1. At the very least 6.1 because there are movies that are out now that utilize 6.1 discrete such as Lord of the Rings and Gladiator.

And there are several more that utilize Dolby Digital EX, which does it's own matrixing job for 6.1 and 7.1 speaker setups. There's even more of these types of movies such as Finding Nemo, Toy Story 2, All the Star Wars movies on DVD as well as several others. So, again, if this is a room dedicated to home theater, don't sell yourself short by not getting all out of the encoded surround sound that you can. If you can afford the extra speakers, do it. There's reasons to go that route.

Live it up, enjoy the sound!
Posted By: real80sman Re: 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 for my theater? - 10/16/04 11:07 AM
Nick, if you are using wallboard (drywall) on the ceiling, you should pre-wire for any possible future upgrades. If you are finishing the ceiling with T-bar (ceiling tiles), then don't worry.

One of our more prolific posters - Craig (Spiffnme) - had a 6.1 setup and was unimpressed. He eventually went back to a good 5.1 setup.

I have a 6.1 Yamaha, but because of budget constraints, it is running 4.1. My basement is completely pre-wired, so as money becomes available, it is simple to add speakers.

Good Luck.
Shawn
© Axiom Message Boards