Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rook M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/03/04 09:05 PM
I've seen several threads comparing these 2 overall. You guys are a great resource. I guess the consensus is that the performance is very similar, the 80s may be better for a huge area, the 60s offer more flexibility with the receiver but offer plenty of authority.

Would it make a difference in my case if there will be no music from my system? I have a dedicated media room (13W X 27L X 9H). I'll be using a 7.1 setup, and it's only for movies and football watching. Just for grins, let's say money was no object. Is there any reason for me to get the 80s in this size of a room? I know some of you say there's no such thing as too much, but I'm wondering if there's any advantage at all to getting the 80...I'll never be cranking these things to the max anyway.
Posted By: Ajax Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/03/04 10:29 PM
Well, that's a fairly good sized room. I would think the 60s would work fine for HT only. But, if money is no object, the 80s wouldn't be overkill, IMHO.

If you went with the 60s you could put the money saved into a BIG sub. Don't scrimp on the sub for a room that size. Better to get the 60s and a thumper of a sub, than get the 80s and a lesser sub. If you can afford the 80s AND a big sub..........!
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/03/04 10:40 PM
.............or go all out and get the big sub and M50's all around for all channels!!!!!
Posted By: rook Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/03/04 10:43 PM
So let's say I get the biggest/baddest sub and the biggest/baddest receiver I could find....would my movie watching experience be better with the M80s in the room I described?

I'm not the type that wants a bunch of unused power to impress friends...but I certainly don't want to come up even the least bit short on the HT experience. Is that a possibility w/ the 60s?
Posted By: BigWill Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/03/04 10:58 PM
I think you'll never be able to tell the difference between 60s and 80s if all you're doing is watching movies and games. The advantage of the M80s seems to be better reproduction of music at high volume levels. For HT the difference will be squat, IMO.
Posted By: Wid Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/03/04 11:07 PM
If money is not a concern I would go with the Epic 80 system and a EP600 sub.No worries about coming up short with that system.
Posted By: BigWill Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/03/04 11:10 PM
Well, duh.
Posted By: Wid Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/03/04 11:15 PM
In reply to:

Just for grins, let's say money was no object.

He said it in his original post.What kind of answer would you expect.
Posted By: rook Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/03/04 11:18 PM
OK, but would I ever be able to tell the difference between the 80s + the EP 600 and the 60s + 350 if I'm watching a movie in a 27X13 room? Money is not really an object if we're talking hundreds of dollars, but it is if the difference is in thousands.
Posted By: Wid Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/03/04 11:25 PM
Well I would then suggest as Bigwill says and consider the Epic 60 system and a sub of your choice.You also say you would not be playing them at high volumes so the 60's might be the better choice of the two for you.
Posted By: rook Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/04/04 12:02 AM
Sounds like Alan only recommends HK and Denon receivers if you're pushing the 80s. How come the Denon puts out so many more watts per channel than the HK in the same price range?
Posted By: Wid Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/04/04 12:09 AM
That I have no answer for.I have the M80's in a stereo set up and use a seperate amp,preamp for them.Whatever the reciever you choose if the speakers are going to be M80's the reciever must be able to handle a 4 ohm load.
Posted By: player8 Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/04/04 01:00 AM
I wouldn't say the Denon's put out that much more power per dollar. Remember, HK (like NAD) gives very accurate ratings. If it says 55 watts X6 then you will be able to get 55 continous watts to each channel. While I believe Denon is more honest with their power ratings than say Onkyo or Sony, I doubt if my Denon which is rated at 6 X 90 watts actually puts out 90 continous watts to all 6 channels. I'd guess between 70 and 80 watts if tested.
Posted By: bridgman Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/04/04 01:37 AM
>>OK, but would I ever be able to tell the difference between the 80s + the EP 600 and the 60s + 350 if I'm watching a movie in a 27X13 room?

Seems like spending extra money on a sub will get you more HT happiness than spending the same amount of money going from M60s to M80s. Besides, we want someone to report on those new big-ass Axiom subs
Posted By: JohnK Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/04/04 02:25 AM
Rook, welcome, and I'll comment on your power rating question. The Denon doesn't necessarily put out more watts then the HK; the ratings are based on different standards. The Denon is with two channels driven simultaneously at full power for at least five minutes, the HK is with all channels driven simultaneously at full power for at least five minutes(not a very realistic situation in home use). Both ratings are accurate and actually a little conservative, as is the case with other manufacturers as well. Measured on the same basis the Denon and HK figures would be quite similar and small power differences are of almost no significance anyway.

There's sometimes a misconception that the FTC reg requires that all channels be driven simultaneously for the rating which all receiver/amps sold in the U.S. have to meet. As I've pointed out previously the FTC only requires that all "associated" channels be driven simultaneously. As was the case in the early 1970s when the reg was being formulated, "associated" is considered as being two channels, not all, and the manufacturers who rate their products on that basis are in compliance with the reg.
Posted By: rook Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/04/04 02:33 AM
Thanks for the info. I figured there was a good reason for the variance in watts per channel.

Many people on here (and the resident expert) suggest you can simply ignore the warnings that say "8 ohm only" on certain receivers. In doing research for the past couple of weeks, I haven't even seen a single receiver rated at 4 ohms. Is that because I'm not looking at any that cost more than $1500?
Posted By: lomb7 Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/04/04 04:09 AM
Looking at your posts and what you are looking for, you may want to involve your wife (if you have one) with this purchase. I think that a lot of us on this board have run into the, "what the heck did you bring home" questions and to tell you the truth the subs usually get the most questions. The M600 that people are telling you about is HUGE and in your room, it will stand out. I have read some about the M600 but if it were me I would lean towards an SVS or an HSU unit. I know that I may catch crap for this one but how many reviews have we seen out there on the M600? It does sound great but because of the footprint, and the lack of reviews I would wait a little bit on that one. My room is close to yours and the M60's do a great job with HT. I have not heard the M80's but before you buy anything you may want to audition them both at someones place.

Good Luck!
Posted By: BigWill Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/04/04 04:33 PM
It probably would be wise to wait for some reviews of the EP600, but since it isn't even available yet it doesn't matter.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/04/04 04:41 PM
Mark's right - there are few reviews on the new Axiom subs because they are available to the public via pre-sale only at this time.

I noticed that, while it has the Axiom "wedge" shape, the EP600 is virtually the same size as a SVS 16-46PCi. I mean, it's big, but it's not unprecedented or anything. And it's a heck of a lot better looking than the big, black, sock-wrapped cylinder, IMO.
Posted By: Daphoid Re: M60 v M80 for HT only - 10/04/04 05:12 PM
Either the 60's or 80's will suit you fine...

I've got M60's, VP150, and QS8's, and although my room isn't as big as yours, I assume you'll be fine. Sub is where it's at though. I have a SVS PB2-Plus...and let me tell you, that sub is disgustingly overkill for my room, I have it at just about half gain...and it's not even trying... it'd be fine in a room as big as yours, probably even bigger .

Depending on how much you want to crank out (i.e do you want it to shake your viewers kidney's? Then a solid receiver and/or seperates would be your bet.

I own a Denon 3805, and it can thump the room really easy, now if I go up to ear bleeding levels (0db in my case) then the protection circuit on my receiver comes on Either it's to hot, or not enough continuous power, I'd say a bit of both probably. Also that was in a situation that I was cranking it way to high for comfortable listening

Whatever you choose, have fun!

- D
© Axiom Message Boards