Axiom Home Page
Posted By: NeverHappy THX is.......................... - 10/06/04 08:04 PM
.............................a great marketing tool now and not much else. I use to follow the standards for THX fairly closely but lately any company willing to shell out the bucks gets the much hyped THX stamp of approval. For a time I had all 5 channels running the exact same speaker. Same size etc. All including the center were Monitor Audio Silver 5i's. Everything was the same. All power amps carried the certification. My pre carried the certification, hell even my wires for a time carried the certification. I knew it was going bad when they came out with different levels of THX certification but man oh man the crap that is out there today sporting this logo is sad to say the least.

Anyone else with me on this?

One thing they do well is those cute little intros before a movie. Those I like. The whole piano thing with DTS is getting boring!

Disclaimer:

These are my heavily biased views and my own only. If you disagree with me, cool and more power to you! Remember, I just ramble cuz I like to read my own words!

Posted By: Ken.C Re: THX is.......................... - 10/06/04 08:05 PM
It's George Lucas. You think he won't do ANYTHING for a buck?
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: THX is.......................... - 10/06/04 08:13 PM
The THX cert is good. It made MFG's come up with more accountable specifications. That's about it though.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: THX is.......................... - 10/06/04 08:14 PM
the THX movie intro is MUCH better than the DTS piano thing..

and yes, THX is over-rated.. but the DTS is right on!! i wont hardly buy a dvd now without DTS..

bigjohn
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/06/04 08:16 PM
Yeah but did it? At first without a doubt it did but now? There are still a ton of manufactures out there who bloat there numbers and that also carry the THX seal of approval. To me now at least the THX logo equals "We paid for it"
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/06/04 08:18 PM
You and me both bigj. On most movies I prefer DTS. My one complaint on occasion is with the dialogue. Sometimes I think they run it a little low on purpose. Who knows but I seem to recall thinking that on a few DTS movies.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 02:21 AM
I Wonder how come the 2 most talked about subs on these boards don't carry the THX logo? I'm sure SVS and HSU can afford it. Perhaps they know something the general public does not?

I know a lot of it has to do with the 20kz cut off per the THX standard but that can't be it..................can it?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 02:43 AM
I think they purposefully didn't seek THX qualification. You can get a computer speaker system, complete with sub, that is THX certified, but it's not going to sound better than an SVS or Hsu. It's mostly marketing.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 02:45 AM
I would imagine the same holds true for Outlaw, REL and a whack of other great manufactures.
Posted By: BrenR Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 03:46 AM
Would you pay licensing rights for something that pretty much means:

"Look, we had enough money to license this logo from George Lucas... eh... eh... c'mon, we must be doing something right... money talks... eh... c'mon..."

Bren R.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 04:44 AM
Nope.

Another thing that gets me is the people who defend THX. How can you defend the same people who also certify audio cables? What exactly does the cable have to do in order to be certified? lol
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 05:06 AM
.....................got it. They need to pay to play...............for a better understanding think MONSTER.
Posted By: BrenR Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 05:12 AM
In reply to:

What exactly does the cable have to do in order to be certified?

The same thing a Burr Brown DAC has to do to become a desirable name brand piece of equipment.

Double-edged sword, that believing in some "audio faith" and not others.

Like the Simpsons where Lisa meets the cute tree-hugger boy, who she tries to impress by mentioning she's a vegan, to which he responds "I'm a level 5 vegan, I don't eat anything that casts a shadow."

Bren R.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 05:13 AM
From THX:

THX developed cable specifications for accurate system connections because cabling is an important element in the signal path of home entertainment systems. Home theater systems, with their many additional channels and components, represent a unique challenge in maintaining the integrity of the audio signal. A complete system typically includes source equipment, a surround controller, room equalization, multi-channel amplification, and at least six loudspeakers. The cumulative effects of frequency response errors, hum, and other distortions become very audible in such complex, multi- channel home theater systems. THX Certified interconnects are built include a series of electrical, physical and ergonomic specifications that guarantee top-notch sound reproduction and premium-grade construction
The criteria by which THX certifies cables include:

Audio cable electrical specifications for insertion loss and bandwidth to minimize frequency response deviations and signal losses, given a usage length.

A widely recognized color coding standard for easy channel recognition and simplified polarization.

Jacket printing of vital information to indicate polarity, grounding location and usage length limits.

Mechanical specifications for connection integrity insuring cabling’s longevity and reliability.

Video cable electrical specifications for insertion loss and bandwidth to preserve color purity and picture detail and stability.

Jeeeeeeeeeez, give me a &*%@*!^ break!

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 05:16 AM
In reply to:

The same thing a Burr Brown DAC has to do to become a desirable name brand piece of equipment.

According to THX, the cable doesn't even have to do that. It actually has to do very little to get branded. Pay, we give you stamp. You sell more then you can buy name rights to football park in San Fran and name it something stupid!
Posted By: BrenR Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 05:23 AM
Actually, I'm surprised the THX standard isn't goofier... it pretty much says "must offer less electrical resistance than a piece of wet string, must be colour coded, must be printed with polarity - good idea, must indicate grounding location (Planet Earth?!!?), and usage length limits (no 8 mile runs, dude!), must have good strain relief, and for the video cables - enough bandwidth to carry a full signal"

At least there's no silliness about electron marching order or anything.

Bren R.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 05:26 AM
......................or the break in time of said cable! Oh well, the more I sit here digging up facts on THX the more I don't like it. I loved what it was but just like the new Star Wars DVD's, it ain't the same as the original!
Posted By: BrenR Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 07:12 AM
You know, I even tried to get your goat with that DAC crack and I got nothing...

Hmm... gotta practice up, usually I can push buttons until someone's "wak"ing around like Donald Duck.

Bren R.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 02:43 PM
Yes I saw that but I'm currently re-visiting my position on DAC's in general. I still like Burr Brown but perhaps there is room to move.....................

Posted By: Ken.C Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 03:52 PM
Man, if this site had mod points...
Posted By: BrenR Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 04:11 PM
mod points?

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 04:44 PM
Ever read Slashdot, Mr. Flamebait?
Posted By: BrenR Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 05:01 PM
Not in about 8 years...

Every time I hear Slashdot, I think of silliness like this and it makes me want to start swinging and leaving a trail of injured geeks behind me.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 05:12 PM
Man, that is stupid.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 05:17 PM
In reply to:

makes me want to start swinging and leaving a trail of injured geeks behind me.

...........and I will be right behind you kicking them one more time just for fun and burning there lovely pocket protectors!

Posted By: Ken.C Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 05:50 PM
-1 Troll
Posted By: pmbuko Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 05:58 PM
Yeah, but then you see stuff like this and your faith in geeks is restored.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 06:44 PM
+1 Insightful
Posted By: James_T Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 07:05 PM
Careful there NH. We can read your email.....
Posted By: pmbuko Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 07:46 PM
+3 Funny
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 08:00 PM
In reply to:

We can read your email.....

..........And I can read yours!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 08:10 PM
-1 Redundant
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 08:26 PM
+1 I started this thread!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 08:57 PM
-1 Overrated
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 09:12 PM
-2 Wanna beeeeee mod!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 09:19 PM
We're sorry. You don't have any mod points left.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: THX is.......................... - 10/07/04 09:23 PM
Metamoderation:
Unfair
© Axiom Message Boards