Axiom Home Page
Posted By: thekid 5 disc DVD player - 10/13/04 08:57 PM
Well I am reading a lot about universal players, but what I am looking for is a five disc dvd player that does everything except for SACD and DVD Audio. Is there a decent unit out there that is a five disc that has decent 2 channel and a quality picture for under $200??
Thanks for the suggestions

Posted By: bigjohn Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/13/04 09:03 PM
is there a particular reason that you dont want the player to have SACD and DVD-A capabilities?

bigjohn
Posted By: thekid Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/13/04 11:16 PM
hey bigjohn
Well I dont have any particular reason, I just wasnt sure how often I would use them. I also thought if I was looking for a 5 disc under $200, I might get a better player if it didnt have SACD and DVD Audio
Posted By: thekid Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 12:32 AM
I found a couple that look decent.
The Sony DVP-NC875 and the Panasonic DVD-F87. The Sony has a 12 bit/108 mhz video DAC and the Panasonic has a 10 bit/ 54 mhz video DAC.
Is there going to be a significant quality difference between them?
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 02:12 AM
A little over $200.00 but not by much is the Denon 2815. I have one and it's a decent DVD player. Good picture, progressive scan etc.
Posted By: JohnK Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 03:04 AM
Kid, you shouldn't view the absence of DVD-A/SACD as a factor. Those discs are read with the same 650nm laser which reads the video DVDs(the dual laser uses a 780nm laser for CDs), so no additional expense or complication is involved there. The audio DAC has to be able to handle the higher sampling rates involved, but excellent quality DACs are available these days that can do that for as little as $1 each in quantity. So, this also doesn't increase expense or complication to any significant degree.

The F87 would be a fine buy and is available for as little as $110. A 10/54 video DAC is plenty for all current formats.

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 05:14 AM
One of the advantages in going with say a 12-bit 108 vs a 10-bit 54 is a better picture and lower noise floor. The problem that arises is that not all video DAC's are created equal and the higher number may in fact not get you a better picture. Secrets did some testing not that long ago and found several cases where a 11-bit / 54 MHz outperformed a 14-bit / 108. The 14-bit / 108 in case your curious can be found in Denon's highly regarded 9000.

Something to keep in mind when your looking around is that the higher number does not always mean you will get the best picture and as I mentioned, not all video DAC's are created equal. The digital filters being used also play a key role and several other factors.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 05:24 AM
The above is for the video only. As for audio DAC's, just go with Burr Brown and you will be fine!

Watch all the posts come after this now!!!!! They can't stand it around here when I get on my Burr Brown kick! lol
Posted By: BrenR Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 05:39 AM
And make sure that to really deaden the sound and compliment the Burr-Brown DAC in your room... you must, positively MUST, use Westroc drywall and Owens-Corning insulation.

*tongue planted firmly in cheek*

Bren R.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 05:56 AM

Posted By: kaid Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 05:08 PM
(hoping to get this in before the thread is buried in Burr Brown!)

I just recently picked up the Panasonic F87 and am pleased with it. I use it for both music CD's and DVD's. It does have one odd "feature" when listening to multiple CD's. If you want the unit to change cd's automatically after the current disc is done, you need to press the "cd mode" button on the remote or front of the unit. Otherwise it will play through the currently selected disk and then stop. It took me a while to figure this out, but it works great now.
Posted By: thekid Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 05:40 PM
I read over at another forum that panasonic dvd players have a reputation of skipping through a chapter while playing dvd's. Anyone know of this?
Posted By: kaid Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 05:56 PM
I haven't experienced any chapter skipping, but I also haven't done a lot of DVD watching yet.
Posted By: ringmir Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 05:58 PM
I have an old (read, 3 or 4 year old) panasonic DVD player, not sure of the model number off hand. Never had a problem like that with it though.
Posted By: jorge016 Re: 5 disc DVD player - 10/14/04 06:07 PM
I've had the F87 for about 8 months of heavy use-never had a skip. If you really want a changer you can't beat it for the money. It was a Circuit City $119 bargain for me.
© Axiom Message Boards