Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jrmav Speaker/Sub Wire - 10/14/04 07:49 PM
Just ordered my epic grand master system and forgot to ask about the speaker wiring. I have about a 20' run from the sourounds to the receiver and was thinking about using 16 gauge speaker wire, does this sound good? I also ordered a HSU STF-2 sub, any thoughts on the cable for this? thanks a million, by the way the customer service at Axiom is outstanding!! I was very impressed!!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Speaker/Sub Wire - 10/14/04 07:53 PM
See if you can't find at least 14ga. 16ga is a little thin for that length.

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Speaker/Sub Wire - 10/14/04 08:15 PM
Pick it up in the bulk wire department of Home Depot. Very inexpensive.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Speaker/Sub Wire - 10/14/04 08:24 PM
yes, you can get 14 gauge, and maybe 12 gauge for under .50 cents a foot at homedepot.

and as far as a sub cable.. i think a standard shielded rca coax is fine. it is just carrying a low frequency signal, so dont waste big bucks on it. we have had too many cable war questions on this board, and i aint trying to start another.. but, IMO, that will do the job..

bigjohn
Posted By: BrenR Re: Speaker/Sub Wire - 10/14/04 09:27 PM
I'd suggest 14ga. as well.

Bren R.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: Speaker/Sub Wire - 10/14/04 09:44 PM
i just got a flier in the mail from radio shack that says all bulk wire sold by the foot is 50% off,i dont know if there is one near you but i thought i would pass it along
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Speaker/Sub Wire - 10/14/04 10:13 PM
Their website shows some 12 guage at .99 a foot normally, for .50 a foot, I'll pick some up!

Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Speaker/Sub Wire - 10/15/04 03:34 AM
JR, 16ga lampcord is plenty for a run of only 20'. Any type of cable with an RCA plug on each end will work for the sub. It doesn't matter whether it's called a "digital" or an "analog" cable. Should be under $1 a foot.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Speaker/Sub Wire - 10/15/04 04:04 AM
Any type of coaxial cable.
© Axiom Message Boards