Axiom Home Page
Posted By: powerfreak Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 03:59 PM
I guess I just want opinions on which will be better for line conditioning, filtering, and surge protection. I get music feedback right now and lots of hiss....im upgrading to the Pioneer 1014 and Axiom 60ti, VP150 and QS8s today or Monday
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 04:25 PM
If I had to do it again I would go with Triplite. Triplite is a lot cheaper and works just as good as the ones you listed. I have a Panamax 5300 and it's built like a tank and I do like it. The Brick Wall products are supposed to be real good too and don't use MOV's.
Posted By: md55 Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 04:27 PM
Your post makes pretty hard to figure out what you are asking. I recomend setting up your new system before buying anything. See if you still have issues, which is hard to comment on because your question is so non-specific.

I have a Panamax 4300 which helps clean up broadcast tv and FM reception(antenna filter) in a remote location with weak signals. Tripplite is recomended as affordable professional grade surge protection by some pros. In my understanding the whole line conditioning issue is largely dismissed by experts in most circumstances.

If you have particular circumstances that would create problems I suggest you spell them out. If you expect some kind of audio magic in general through line conditioning I think you are about to waste your money.
Posted By: powerfreak Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 04:34 PM
No, i dont expect magic...i expect some of the hiss to dimimish and for the music to stop bleeding over into my TV/computer speakers. Nothing like hispanic music playing underneath Game 2 of Houston/St Louis. I also expect better protection than my current Monster strip which is 4 years old. OH, and the Brick Wall looks good just doesnt have cable filtering....
Posted By: BrenR Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 05:54 PM
In reply to:

I guess I just want opinions on which will be better for line conditioning, filtering, and surge protection. I get music feedback right now and lots of hiss....im upgrading to the Pioneer 1014 and Axiom 60ti, VP150 and QS8s today or Monday

Music feedback?

Feedback involves a mic or pickup continually picking up and folding back the same signal over and over.

If you have problems with shielding that you're broadcasting RF signals into other speakers, then address that concern.

As for surge protection/line filters/conditioners, we had about a week long discussion on metal oxide varistors (MOVs) et al last time you asked about this all. Link Here.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 07:38 PM
I've had very bad experiences with Tripplite computer cables (not made to spec, don't work at all, crash the computer, etc...) so I'm a bit leery of them.

However, I wouldn't pay for a "music" or "AV" line conditioner either. Have a look at APC.
Posted By: powerfreak Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 08:07 PM
I think Bren likes to bash me....maybe I didnt make it clear enough. I put the three brand names up for people to give me their opinion of them....and then some one asked why I was asking. So, I had to explain why....the hiss and the music bleed. Let me state that the music bleed into my TV speakers and computer speakers occurs in two different rooms. My receiver does not pick up this noise. My receiver sits next to my TV. I use either AR (subwoofer coax) or Monster cables for all my connections. But, Ill take the advice and rehook all of it up with the new components and move some items around...probably with a Panamax 5100
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 08:12 PM
What's the source of the music? Is it playing through some other system in your house? Is it a radio station? Is it your neighbors?
Posted By: powerfreak Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 08:15 PM
You know, i havent been able to pinpoint it. Its a spanish music that I believe is a radio station. Since I dont listen to that type of music....I think it might traveling thru the power lines in the building???
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 08:18 PM
I doubt it... I imagine (could be wrong here) that it's a radio signal that's being picked up by the speaker cables or power cables and amplified by your computer's built in speakers. Like I said, I could be wrong... hmm. that doesn't explain the TV, though.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 08:47 PM
All I'm saying is that if your tire is flat, don't look under the hood for why the car won't go.

It's easy to tell yourself that this will solve your problem, but you have two of them.

One, you want to protect your equipment. Not a bad idea - surge protector for that.

Besides that, you have equipment in your home that is acting as an antenna which is picking up the Mexican radio station/RF broadcast. It would be very nice if Panamax made a "get rid of the RF interference in my house" box you could plug things into, but... that's kind of like asking for a pill to fix any malady.

This is one of those "determine the root of the problem and fix it" questions, not a "which whiz-bang brand name gadget can I buy?" question. The benefit of having a problem isn't always the rationalization for a shopping trip.

Bren R.
Posted By: joninflorida Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 09:08 PM
Tleigh, How do you like your earthquake mark-5 15" sub???
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/15/04 09:12 PM
I love it. The thing is a monster.
The bass is actually very accurate considering the size and it will go very low. I want a second one but I'm afraid that it will be overkill.

Posted By: Daphoid Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/17/04 02:49 AM
Monster: Works Good, Looks the Best, Price markup
Adcom: Works Good, Looks alright, not as feature filled
Triplite: Works Good, Looks like ass.

similar applies to panamax... They all work the same, some have more features then others do, and some you won't be afraid to have in your AV stand, others would make baby jesus cry.

- D
Posted By: leaf Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/17/04 03:45 AM
I have to agree with Bren here but then I think all line conditioners are a bunch of huey.
However if it looks good and ya have the money to blow go for it.
Ever hear of fillings or bracies picking up radio signals? It's the same thing...I'm bettin you have a bunch of wires crossing each other.

leaf
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/17/04 02:01 PM
Personally, I'm not afraid of how it looks. I just want it to perform well. I agree Triplite is butt ugly however it is the least expensive. I do like the look of Panamax the front panel is anodized brushed aluminum and the build quality is exceptional.

As far as getting rid of RF (Mexican music), that’s a difficult one. We had a similar problem with a phone system that we installed in this guy’s house. Most equipment made must pass RF signal and not block it. I think the FCC regulations made it mandatory if I remember correctly. We had to use shielded cables and an isolated ground for the power. The good thing is that it worked. If I had the problem with my audio equipment I would work on it in steps like I had to a few years ago, somebody in my neighborhood had an overpowered HAM system that was interfering with my home audio. Needless to say I couldn't locate the source of the offender so I had to take different steps to fix it. First, I purchased a very heavy speaker wire (for testing) that had a very thick jacket I had to disconnect all speakers except one. I also removed all but one source like DVD, Cable box and ETC. I cleaned up all of the cables from the rack to eliminate an antenna. I also removed all gear that wasn't being used during this test. Still no go. I rerouted the test speaker in the crawl space instead of the attic. Finally! I’m making progress. So I rerun the rest of the speaker cable one at a time and continue testing until all of the speaker wire is completely installed without picking up RF. Then I installed one source at a time and found the problem again! The cheapo Apex DVD player allowed the signal to pass into the system but not as bad as before, so I tried using a Tos-Cable instead of a coax cable. That worked!
My approach to the problem (a quest) was systematic. Before buying a bunch of stuff I tried stuff that made sense to me first. If I had disconnected everything connected to the receiver and plugged in headphones and still had a problem then I would have looked at the electrical.

I hope this make sense. I’m trying not to babble here and I’m not completely awake yet. I need my coffee

Regards,

Tom

Posted By: bridgman Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/17/04 03:38 PM
In case this helps, in Toronto all the Mexican music and spanish speaking RF interference comes from the CB frequencies (~27 MHz). For some reason CB seems to have caught on as the "alternate telephone system" around here, and sometimes you even get music across the higher CB channels. No interference on the emergency channels yet but they do like to broadcast on "the jeep channel" (4).

10-4 amigos !
Posted By: Saturn Re: Panamax vs. Tripplite vs. Monster - 10/18/04 06:43 PM
My cheap computer speakers used to pickup radio. When I upgraded to a higher model I did not have that issue.

I have the Tripplite LCR2400 and it looks pretty good.
http://www.spaceloft.com/h30/mini-IMG_1966.htm

© Axiom Message Boards