Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lexxen 5 Disc Changer - 10/17/04 05:36 PM
Is it worth getting a 5 Disc DVD Changer right now? Would it be better to buy a decent Cd changer and wait a few years to save for a DVD-A collection/changer?

My car was broken into and all my CDs stolen so it might be a good time right now to start collecting DVD-As and get a decent DVD changer with the insurance money... and suggestions?
Posted By: dakkon Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/17/04 05:40 PM
dont get a 5 disk changer, if you want a changer, get a 3-400 disk dvd changer... i have a 5 disk dvd player, and well its pointless, you might as well get a single disk unit.. if your wanting a changer, get one that can hold most of your collection, or dont even bother... thats what i have found out...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/17/04 06:01 PM
Show me a 3-400+1 disk truly universal changer for under $500, and I'll think about it.
Posted By: md55 Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/17/04 07:22 PM
I don't believe there are any DVD mega changers that play DVD-audio. The Sonys play SACD. There are only a couple of 5 or six disc universal players at this point, as far as I know.

I had a NAD five disc changer and sold it to get a Sony 300 disc unit. Neither play SACD or DVD-audio. I agree that for the most point a five disc changer is hardly better than a single disc unit. I would go with a mega changer and add a good single disc universal player, or do what I am doing: waiting to see what happens with High Definition DVD and get a truely universal player. I just haven't seen enough high-def multi channel audio titles I'm interested in to motivate a universal player yet.
Posted By: michael_d Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/17/04 09:14 PM
to each their own I reckon.......I happen to like my 6 disk changer. When I throw a party, I just load it to suit the mode of the crowd, then forget it. It works flawlessly, so far. And for what it's worth, Sony's new ES mega changer is a universal player. I was looking at it. Around $700.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/17/04 09:47 PM
Sony is making a player that uses DVD-A??!!! They must be thinking SACD is going to lose, then. Hmm...

I agree with you on the smaller changer. I see no use for a 3 disc, but a 5 or 6 disc works well for me.
Posted By: dakkon Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/18/04 01:20 AM
http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=An7PVTxac5jdVwStUUhFmG0EgFoB;_ylu=X3oDMTBhNjRqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=dvp-cx985v&did=

can get it for under 400$...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/18/04 02:30 AM
Yup, but no DVD-A.
Posted By: Lexxen Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/18/04 04:13 PM
alright, so if there are no DVD changers that play DVD-A or SACD anyways -- and I cannot afford $400 for a mega changer and I don't REALLY care that much about DVD-a right now-- does anyone know of a fairly cheap (about $100-200 CANADIAN which is about 150 american) 5-6 disc Cd changer? or anything even cheaper than that? I am thinking about asking for one for christmas and this is about what my parents normally spend...
Posted By: jorge016 Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/18/04 04:23 PM
Panny DVD-85S is a decent little unit. Progressive scan, DVD-A. Less than $100 US.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/18/04 04:41 PM
There are a few, the Integra 8.5 I believe, which probably means Onkyo has one. However, they got crappy reviews according to someone or other...
Posted By: bray Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/18/04 04:51 PM
I have the Phillips Dvd 795sa, and have been happy with it.
You can pick one up online for around $200.00. It is a 5 disc player that will play sacd, but not dvda.
Also this is a phillips discontinued model, so the prices are coming down.
Posted By: thekid Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/18/04 08:34 PM
I have also have been looking at them.
The panasonic f87 just got reviewed by sound and vision and came up pretty well and it about $125 and Sony has a new one coming out in November I believe, the DVP-NC875 that looks pretty good and will be around $150
Posted By: md55 Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/19/04 01:11 AM
You have a good point about extended play for parties with 5 or six discs. Probably more seemless than a mega changer in fact.
Posted By: JohnK Re: 5 Disc Changer - 10/19/04 03:13 AM
Owen, I strongly favor megachangers, but in the price range that you're looking at I'd also suggest the Panasonic F87.
© Axiom Message Boards