Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Sean Trying To make A Decision??? - 10/26/04 09:21 PM
Hey everyone...I am trying to decide something..I have an older Harman Kardon AVR55 its out dated big time ( it has on AC-3) But My budget is very limited to around 400 dollors canadain..I am only 19 but I have my own place a bigish type room about 13 by around 23 but where the system is its about 13 by 13. I was looking at maybe the Sony STRDE567 (299.00) or the STRDE197(199.00) they both look like a good deal but will I be losing quailty from going from a once 1100.00 reciver to A Sony, any help would be awesome..thanks guys!

Sean H.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Trying To make A Decision??? - 10/26/04 09:29 PM
Does your current receiver have digital inputs? Optical or coax? If so, most new dvd players decode the Dolby Digital and/or DTS themselves, and you just need a receiver to accept the signal. If that's the case, I'd keep your current HK.

If that's not the case, I'd look into an entry level Denon. I don't care much for the low end Sony products at all.

Finally let me add that the best policy is to by your system piece by piece. Get one component at a time, and get the best you can at that time. Don't go cheap just so you can afford a whole new setup at once. You'll only end up disapointed in what you've got, and upgrade everything again...spending MUCH more money in the long run. If a receiver is what you need now, I'd get the best receiver I could for the $400CAD that you have. Then start saving up for the next piece, so on and so forth. It's taken me about 2+ years to upgrade my system, and I'm still a DVD player and TV away from being done. But I'm HAPPY AS HELL with all the pieces I've bought.

Good luck!

btw...what speakers do you have now?

Posted By: Sean Re: Trying To make A Decision??? - 10/26/04 09:35 PM
Thanks for the info..yeah ture i will save lots in the end..yeah the HK has toshlink and coax digtal connections...the reciver is pretty limited ( with features) like X-over's and customzation...I have M22ti, M40tis, Vp150,EP-125..a 4 year old toshiba dvd player...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Trying To make A Decision??? - 10/26/04 09:39 PM
Are you sure they do the decoding before they send it across the digital connection? I was of the impression that they just sent it then the receiver did the decoding.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Trying To make A Decision??? - 10/26/04 10:09 PM
Some actually do the decoding themselves. My old Panasonic in fact does the decoding itself. I bought it specifially because my old Onkyo receiver could not decode.

Maybe fewer do the decoding themselves than I thought. Dunno.

Posted By: Karp Re: Trying To make A Decision??? - 10/27/04 01:20 AM
Actually, If you want the DVD player to do the decoding, you have to use the analog outputs to the receiver and use PCM in the players settings. If you use a digital connection, then the receiver does the decoding.
Posted By: bray Re: Trying To make A Decision??? - 10/27/04 01:27 AM
Sean
PM me. I have H/K AVR 130 you might be interested in.
I only used it for 2 or 3 months, before I gave in to the upgradeitis.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Trying To make A Decision??? - 10/27/04 04:58 AM
That's what I thought. But hey, I've been pretty wrong before when it comes to the DVD thang.
© Axiom Message Boards