Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Hobie Finish question - 12/07/04 12:36 PM
I'm considering an Axiom system as I rebuild my ht system. Short list is M22, 4 QS8's and VP150 in Boston Cherry.

It may be staring me in the face, but, what is the finish on Axiom speakers .. veneer over mdf? Vinyl?

How do they look to your eye?

Thanks
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Finish question - 12/07/04 12:43 PM
Hi Hobie:
Axioms are vinyl finishes, but don't let that scare you. They are really, really good-looking, perfectly-finished vinyls.

I have a Beech system, and it looks so good that I'm replacing other items in my living room to match my speakers!

Welcome to a very user-friendly forum... there's some great people here that will take the time to answer questions!
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Finish question - 12/07/04 01:28 PM
I second MarkSJohnson's statements. They apply the vinyl VERY well, and it almost looks like real wood. I used to have a pair of M2i's in Boston cherry, but now I have a pair of M60s in Mansfield Beech (with gold grilles).

In my humble opinion the Beech color is the best looking of the four free choices, by a long shot. In my book, the maple color comes in as a not-so-close second.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Finish question - 12/07/04 02:28 PM
sorry, I thought it was a question about Finland.

The finish on my axioms looks as good as the veneers on my furniture. You have to get really close to see it isn't real. Even then some of my friends still haven't a clue .
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Finish question - 12/07/04 03:08 PM
I also have the Mansfields, and I think they look very rich, however, my wife is still trying to get used to the color, she wanted Boston Cherry, but I didn't want to wait that long on the Factory Outlet. They also have some other custom finishes for a little bit more money, not sure if they are vinyl also?

Posted By: michael_d Re: Finish question - 12/07/04 04:48 PM
The vinyl is applied very nicely. I build fine furniture as a hobby, and am somewhat of a perfectionist (so I’m told anyway). But, (always a but) the finish looks out of place in my home. Everything in my home is real wood (cherry cabinets, hickory hard wood floors), and the Boston Cherry vinyl most definitely looks like a picture (which is exactly what vinyl is) and not natural.

So, that being said, if you have real wood in the area you want to place your speakers, consider the finish carefully. If you simply have carpet and painted walls, no worries, the finish is very well done.

© Axiom Message Boards