Axiom Home Page
Posted By: COACH2369 Quck questions regarding the Denon 5803A - 12/17/04 10:45 PM
I have a quick question that I could use some advice on...

I currently own a 3803 for my receiver and I am getting my second case of upgraditis(I think that is unofficial spelling) this month. I just got done upgrading my DVD player and I extremely happy with the quality of it. I am sure it will look even better once the TV is calibrated.

Okay, now my question... I had the oppoturnity to listen to the same surround setup I have in a room that is basically the same layout and size as mine. The only difference was he had the 5803 and I was impressed on how it sounded and now I want one. Would anybody recommend where I could find one of these now that the 5805 is out?
I am willing to buy this one used, if the price is right.

Also, would there by a cheaper way of adding more power to my system?

Thanks in advice... this forum always comes through.

Hey Minirock are you out there? Seriously though, a new or used amp should give you the POWER you desire. Parasound, Rotel and many others will give you great performance at a lower cost than buying a 5803. Unless you need all those features from the denon?
I am looking for more power, I am completely happy and satisfied with what the 3803 offers except the power..:)

I guess I should start researching AMPS... Should I look for a 5 or 7 channel amp? I have 7 channels going right now, but are the prices of 7 channel amps outrageous? what is a good price for a 7 channel amp?
Posted By: Wid Re: Quck questions regarding the Denon 5803A - 12/18/04 01:29 AM
How about an external amp to power just the fronts and let your 3803 power the rest of you system.There is Rotel RB1080 Parasound HCA 1500A or the Outlaw M200 monoblocks,all of which will give you 200 watts per channel.They are also a heck of a lot cheaper than the Denon 5805.You could get a whole stack (7) of the Outlaw amps for less than half the cost of the 5805.
That would be a possibility. The only problem with that would be I don't have a lot of space. I saw the Outlaw 770 for about 1500 as a B-Stock item on there website. WOuld that work for what I am looking for?

Posted By: Wid Re: Quck questions regarding the Denon 5803A - 12/18/04 01:39 AM

I would have to say heck yes.The 770 is also 200 watts per.Then when you get the M80s you won't have to worry if you can drive them .Looks like a pretty good deal.
That looks like a good deal. 7x200watts with free shipping and great customer service. Or if you want to save some coin, get a new(or used) outlaw 755(5x200) and use your denon for the rear surrounds.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Quck questions regarding the Denon 5803A - 12/18/04 02:58 AM
Jeff, there are so many things that can affect sound in different systems that it's highly unlikely that the 5803 was really the only difference or that you need more power. Your 3803 is highly likely more powerful than you need(the 5803 has little in the way of additional peak sound level capability). Try to control this lust for power.
Posted By: Wid Re: Quck questions regarding the Denon 5803A - 12/18/04 03:35 PM
In reply to:

Try to control this lust for power.

If thats what the man wants so be it.It's his money and it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Coach,

I just went the 200wpc power amp route, using my 3803 as a pre-amp processor. It really does make a difference, JohnK seems to be against anyone upgrading anything electronic! Incidentally I just went with a stereo power amp for now, to drive my M60 mains, and continue to use the 3803's power section for the rest of my 7.1 setup. I got a used Harman/Kardon Signature 1.5 amp for $300.

Happy upgrades!

Stuart
Exactly, the hobby rule book doesn't say to be cheap and cheat yourself what you really want (even if you don't need it)

Stuart
Your room looks great! So, you have 200 watts of power for your front speakers and then the 3803 drives the rest of your system? With having the HK driving the fronts, does the receiver then distribute more power to the remaining speakers?
Posted By: Wid Re: Quck questions regarding the Denon 5803A - 12/18/04 04:01 PM

In reply to:

even if you don't need it

Thats right its not something I need,it's all about what I want.
Coach,

Thanks for the compliment, looks like we have the same taste in audio equipment! In theory I guess I have more headroom available with taking the main speaker loads off of the Denon, but I never found my system deficient for movies anyway. It is for stereo listening that I really went the seperate amp route, and where I really notice the difference. However, with upgraditis being an incurable disease I am thinking about an Outlaw 770 to power the rest of my system, plus a second zone of 2 channel in my family room!

Stuart
The only choice for me is this: SEPARATES
I wanted them, so I got them. I'm not looking back now and I feel my choice was good for me. I don't have the "what ifs" because I didn't settle for less.

Posted By: Wid Re: Quck questions regarding the Denon 5803A - 12/18/04 04:17 PM

I have owned seperates for my stereo gear for the past 15 years or so.
The Outlaw 770 caught my eye for a couple of reasons. The #1 reason was because I saw it in there B-Stock section for only 1550, I think. Anyways, I have never looked into shopping for seperates, so I don't know what brands are better than others. I have heard of Krell, Sunfire, and Rotel. Everything but the Outlaw seem to be way out of my price range right now. So, I don't know what to do at this time....lol
To me it's DAY and NIGHT having an external amp. I will never go back to a stand alone receiver again unless it's a small room with efficient speakers.
Posted By: Wid Re: Quck questions regarding the Denon 5803A - 12/18/04 04:35 PM

I have never heard the Outlaw amps but it is said they are a very good amp for the money.The only experiance I have with Outlaw is when I bought their ICBM.They were a really nice Co. to deal with.Give them a call they are some good people to talk to.
outlaw is a great company seperates from them will be in my future (not near future though speakers first) my business partner has the 950/7100 pre pro combo and it is great sounding equipment.
© Axiom Message Boards