Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BlueStater New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 06:06 AM
Hi everyone. I have just recently started to upgrade to a "modern" HT setup. I am buying a system that will be easy to move into a larger room when we move to a new house. My first purchases were:

Denon 2805
Axiom M22 (Replaced by M60/80 in larger room?)
Axiom QS8 (2 now, maybe 2 more for 7.1 later)
Axiom VP150
Axiom EP350 (BTW, got all at the Outlet Store. Great price!)

I have 2 questions:

1) In "blending" the fronts/sub, is a 60Hz crossover point acceptable? I would rather not have the sub voicing over that point, but I also don't want to lose sound and/or have the M22ti's fluttering. This especially concerns me regarding stereo audio-only playback, although this won't be my main audio setup.

2)Has anyone out there heard of a now-defunct speaker Mfg. named ADS? I have a pair of their 2-ways my dad bought in 1975. They are beautiful sounding speakers. I was wondering is there might be another owner who might have some thoughts on these speaks.

Thank you,

Mark

Posted By: Ken.C Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 06:08 AM
As for #1, I'd probably start with 80 Hz for the M22s, but if it works for you... Try doing some frequency sweeps if you've got a SPL meter. If not, get one!

On #2, I'm totally useless, as opposed to mostly useless on my #1.

Welcome to the boards, btw. Have you received teh speakers yet?
Posted By: JohnK Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 06:19 AM
Welcome, Mark. A 60Hz crossover for the M22s would certainly be "acceptable" in that they have fairly strong response at that frequency, but the commonly suggested 80Hz should be a bit better. The EP350 should handle that range with more authority than the M22s possess and would relieve them and the amps in the 2805 of a little more of the low frequency burden.
Posted By: BlueStater Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 06:20 AM
No, I haven't received the speakers yet. Because I picked everything out of the Outlet Store, I have a few weeks wait. After spending 3 months researching the speaks and AVR, I'm spending the wait period further researching setup and functionality. My old setup is a mishmash of speakers plugged into an old H/K Dolby Pro Logic receiver. I finally decided that I would like my movies to sound the way they were meant to sound.

As far as the ADS speakers, I haven't seen a whole lot about them. I use them as the only speakers on my audio-only setup I power them with a pair of tube amps by dad and I (mostly dad, I was 7)built the same year he bought the speaks. The sound is unbelievable. I run the components through an ancient Onkyo preamp. I swear you can hear if the rosin on a violin bow was unevenly applied.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 06:23 AM
You're in for a real treat, then.

I suggest getting a Radio Shack SPL meter (analog) and a AV tuneup disk (AVIA, Home Theatre Essentials). Of course, if you've lurked here for, oh, say, a day, then you've heard that before.
Posted By: BlueStater Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 06:29 AM
I have read that 80Hz is a good point. Being new to subs in the HT context (I used to do live sound mixing) I am just worried about the clarity of the sound between 60 and 80Hz. At the clubs/halls I used to mix at, this was not such a problem due to the enormous power and sheer volume of air being pushed by the generally overpowered systems. Especially since we generally had 3 and 4-way systems (2.1 and 3.1, I suppose!)so all frequencies were send through outboard crossovers with very specifically set pass points. For HT/Audio, I will be a little more sensitive to such things.
Posted By: BlueStater Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 06:34 AM
The meter and disc are on their way. I have seen these 2 pieces ALL OVER the internet! BTW, I apologize for the occasional misspellings. I need to actually preview my posts a little to make up for my sloppy typing.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 06:41 AM
Don't worry about it. Typos tend to slide around here, unless they're egregious. In which case you'll be made fun of, lightly.
Posted By: BlueStater Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 06:46 AM
BTW, the company that made my audio-only speakers was ADS Speaker Lab, not the ADS that is currently making speakers. There is no relation between the two.
Posted By: bridgman Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 06:57 AM
I think the only concern about crossing M22s over at 60 hz is that you're probably going to get a slight dip in the 60-70 hz range since the M22s are already -3dB at 60 hz.
Posted By: BlueStater Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 07:05 AM
Aha! That is certainly a point I don't wan't to have a dip! The area around 60Hz is a "sweet spot" in the lower frequency area. Dip that out and you will lose some of the tight, directional bass sounds. I wouldn't want that!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 08:12 AM
In reply to:

"There's too many notes!"

Is that a great line from Amadeus, or am I mistaken?

Posted By: BlueStater Re: New to 5.1 - 12/20/04 08:15 AM
Hehe! I knew it wouldn't take long for this lot to figure that quote out.
Posted By: jakewash Re: New to 5.1 - 12/21/04 07:19 AM
I have my M22's set up to large and xover at 80 the lowest on my Denon1804. Everything sounds great, And I haven't used the AVIA disc yet.
© Axiom Message Boards