Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BlueStater Need advice on room acoustics - 12/26/04 06:48 AM
Hi folks! Still waiting to my speaks to arrive. I have a queston about room acoustics. My room is 15 x 12 x 9. Coved ceilings, hardwood floors, 10' picture window, 5' wide opening
into another room roughly 3' from the end of one of the long walls. Luckily, it didn't take much convincing to get my wife to go shop for some new, heavy drapes for the picture window. In the room is or will be a leather reclining couch and 2 upholsterd chairs. There will be a large rug covering about 60% of the space between the mains and the couch (prime listening location). I am wondering if this may be enough of a mix to do the job. The setup is:

Denon AVR-2805
M22 x 2
VP-150
QS8 x 2
EP350.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Posted By: Michael_A Re: Need advice on room acoustics - 12/26/04 01:31 PM
Hello Blue,

What is on your walls? A good mix of soft, sound absorbant materials and some harder, irregularly shaped objects that will reflect sound in different directions (diffusion) is what you are after. Too much absorbtion, and the room sounds dead. Too much reflection, and it will sound muddy.

I read somewhere that 25% coverage with absorbant materials should be sufficient for most rooms. I never saw any numbers for diffusion...
Posted By: Bretsky Re: Need advice on room acoustics - 12/26/04 01:42 PM
Covering the window (and parts of the floor) are probably the most important things, and you've got that covered. The first reflection point from the mains on the sidewalls is probably the next thing to look at. If you put a mirror on the wall and could see your speaker (while seated in your listening spot), that is the point on your wall where you would want to have some absorptive material if possible. If not possible due to WAF, then I would consider something that diffuses the reflection, like a bookcase full of different sized books. Ideally, the reflection point on the ceiling could also be taken care of in a similar fashion, but the wife is not likely to go for that idea.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: Need advice on room acoustics - 12/26/04 03:37 PM
It sounds like you have everything ready to me. I would wait until you get the speakers before you do anymore tweeking. You may like the way it sounds now. It's always better to add than to remove due to the waf.

Just my $.02 and experience .

Tom
Posted By: bray Re: Need advice on room acoustics - 12/26/04 04:17 PM
"Its always better to add than to remove due to the waf."

tleigh-
You are a truly WISE man!
© Axiom Message Boards