Axiom Home Page
Posted By: COACH2369 Level settings on the 3803 - 12/30/04 05:13 AM
I was wondering what everybody had there levels set at on there receiver. What I mean is, when you are doing the test tones and you can select the db levels. Mine are now set around 0 and some are in the negatives. This was done after somebody calibrated them. I was just wondering if they are down to low because it seems I am turning up my volume to a higher level now.

I hope I didn't confuse anybody...
Thanks in advice.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Level settings on the 3803 - 12/30/04 05:29 AM
I don't *think* it matters whether you have individual channels turned down and turn the volume control up vs. individual channels turned up and turn the volume control down a bit...

... but just in case I usually shift all the settings up or down as required so that they aren't too far from zero. For example, last time I played with the "ez-set" on my HK receiver I ended up with something like 0 for mains, -4 for center and -10 for surrounds (they're really efficient albeit crappy sounding). I shifted everything up 4 dB to give +4dB for mains, 0dB for center, -6 for surrounds.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't make any difference but it seems "tidier" and I don't have to re-learn all the volume control settings for different inputs and different disks
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Level settings on the 3803 - 12/30/04 05:17 PM
Forgive me if I misunderstand your question, but the indivdual settings for the speakers is a function of calibration. If you are asking about calibraton using the Avia disk and an SPL meter, here is how I go about it.

After sitting down in the sweet spot, I set the Left Front to 0 on the receiver, play the LF test tone andturn the volume up so that the SPL registers 85db. I never touch the receiver volume control again.

Next, I go to the Center, play its test tone and adjust the Center speaker controls (+ or -) until I get 85db. I then cycle through all of the rest of the speakers in the same manner to get them to 85db. I set the sub at 88db because I like it a little hot. Calibration now complete.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Level settings on the 3803 - 12/30/04 09:20 PM
You listen to the reciever at one volume all the time? (or did I misinterpret?)
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Level settings on the 3803 - 12/30/04 10:06 PM
Ken - the above is just the calibration discussion. After calibration, of course I vary the volumeOn the 3803 I usually watch Satellite between -40 and -25, music is right around -30 and movies come in at -25 to -10.
© Axiom Message Boards