Axiom Home Page
Posted By: gsny Speakers matching - 01/07/05 06:29 PM
I have the following Axiom for my HT and music

150 Center
M40 Main Front
M40 Surround
M22 Surround Back
It sounds tremendous to me but my friend who happened to be a very serious stereophil said that my speakers are not tone matching. Do you guys agree.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 06:35 PM
If your very serious audiophile friend is in fact a very serious audiophile, then he should know that placement is a very important factor in how a speaker sounds. Even if all your speakers were identical, they would sound a bit different depending on where in the room they were located.
Posted By: Wid Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 06:41 PM
In reply to:

It sounds tremendous to me

Enough said!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 06:43 PM
Wow! Great setup! There are not many board regulars who have M40's, and fewer who have tower speakers all around for surround. Please stick around and give us the benefit of your experience.

If it sounds tremendous to you, that's all that matters. Don't let the allegedly "expert" opinion of your friend compromise your enjoyment. Some people are predisposed to say that unless your speakers are not all identical, they can't be sonically matched, regardless of whether they can actually hear anything that supports the theory.

In what context did your friend make this observation (what kind of material and processing, etc.)?

There are some people who think that the M2/M22/M60/M80 sound a bit more forward than the M3/M40/M50. I do not have personal experience with the comparison.

Really, unless you honestly hear something that YOU don't like, I'd just smile and enjoy the music. Everybody's ears are different.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 06:44 PM
Though I cannot speak from personal experience, it is generally accepted around here that the M2s, M22s, M60s, and M80s are tonally similar, while the M3s, M40s, and M50s, are tonally similar, but different from the other series.

Again, though I can't speak from experience, and while I accept there is a difference between the two lines of speakers, I would suspect this difference is subtle.

The question you need to answer is "how does your current setup sound to you," rather than your "very serious stereophile friend." If you're happy, don't let his/her judgment cause you to be unhappy with what you have. It's up to you.

If you decide you're dissatisfied, and you're still within the 30 day trial period, you can return the 22s for the M3s, or two more M40s. If you aren't within that return period it wouldn't hurt to give Axiom a call, explain the situation, and ask what can be done. They're very nice folks, and are eager to please. Worst case scenario is you end up right where you are now. No harm, no foul.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 06:53 PM
Wid, Jack and Tom have hit the nail dead on - if you are happy, then far be it from anyone to discredit your systems.

You could ask what displease him and attempt to learn from the experience. However, you ma find an ego is all that you uncover.

As the resident "audiophile", I try hard to positively reinforce people making choices that suit THEM - not me.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 06:58 PM
In reply to:

I try hard to positively reinforce people making choices that suit THEM - not me.

A goal we all aspire to (or should).
Posted By: LT61 Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 06:59 PM
I think most have had a "stereophile" CRITIQUE their gear choices at one time, or another...........don't be dissuaded.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 08:00 PM
How is the setup working for YOUR ears? Sounds to me like he has speaker envy. Besides, if he is a stereophile (whatever the hell that is), how does he come off thinking he is qualified to make a statement like that for more than 2 speakers?

I've said this before, but it bears repeating - "Walk a mile in another man's shoes. That way you are a mile away and you have his shoes."
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 08:47 PM
I got rid of my stereofile when I gave up on my turnable and no longer had a needle to sharpen.
Posted By: md55 Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 09:09 PM
I have M50 mains, VP150 center, Michaura m55 surrounds(made by axiom with 2) 5 1/4" woofers and a 3/4" titanium dome tweeter) and an Axiom CT6 rear channel. I had the CT6 as a front channel for a while but it did not match quite as well with the M50's. I think there is an over emphasis in the theoretical mismatch of voicing between the M3, M40 and M50 and the other axioms using the 5 1/4" midrange.

I don't have SACD or DVD-A to really listen to multichannel with to an ear for timber matching in those formats. The DTS music discs I have do not cause me to feel that timbral matching is at all a problem and neither do movies. You should have a better matched system than I do especially with matching mains and surrounds. I think your stereophile friend is speaking from theory more than listening. As Peter pointed out, the room and placement are bigger factors than the theoretical mismatch between Axiom speakers.

How do you like listening to your set up?
Posted By: GeneticDrift Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 09:43 PM
The 40's are different sounding than the vp150 and the m22's due to the 6.5" driver it uses. The vp150 and the m22's use a 5.25' driver as does the qs8. I think its great you having a full range speaker for your rears; I recently found out what an incredible difference this makes, the sound is soooo much better for HT. I think your friend was just pointing out the m22s and vp150 don’t tone match the 40’s, which they don’t.

Bottom line…….if you are happy with it than who cares what anyone else says.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 10:26 PM
Ford, your file joke deserves some recognition. Made me laugh.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 10:45 PM
Peter, you're just encouraging him.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 11:21 PM
Peter,

Thank you for your mercy post .
Posted By: Ajax Re: Speakers matching - 01/07/05 11:59 PM
I liked it too, Wayne.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Speakers matching - 01/08/05 02:56 AM
>>It sounds tremendous to me but my friend who happened to be a very serious stereophil said that my speakers are not tone matching. Do you guys agree.

Strictly speaking your friend is right but the same can be said about pretty much every HT system on the planet except for the very few with 5 or 7 exactly identical speakers along with very careful room design (maybe a hexagon ?).

Summary -- big fat hairy deal. Your setup is better matched than most good HT systems.
© Axiom Message Boards