Axiom Home Page
Posted By: KC_Mike Which SVS sub? - 01/12/05 04:52 AM
I recently e-mailed SVS regarding whether the SVS PB-10 or 20-39PCi would work better for me. After talking with Ron, I selected the 20-39PCi over the PB-10.

The 20-39PCi is $599, and at that same price SVS also makes the PB12-ISD. The obvious difference is shape (box vs. cylinder) but on paper they appear to be very similar regarding performance.

Does it simply come down to which one is easier to place or take up less floor space? Any other factors to consider for those of you that might have owned or listened to both?

I hope to order tomorrow so I can get delivery on Monday..since I am off work that day. Thanks.
Posted By: curtis Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/12/05 05:51 AM
Do more research. You feel find they actually have different sonic characteristics.

The consesus that I have found is the PB12-ISD is actually one of their better sounding models.
Posted By: JSkip Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/12/05 11:19 AM
For what it's worth, I just bought a PB12-ISD and I love it. Now, many people know I'm by no means a sub expert, but this baby really does rock the house.
Posted By: Nat Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/12/05 11:21 AM
cannot comment on the comparison, but I have the PC+ 20-39 and have owned it for 2 years. I could not be happier with a piece of kit. Sounds good and is trouble free. I am sure you will be happy.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/12/05 03:16 PM
Mike, I believe the intent is for the 20-39 PCi and the PB12-ISD to be the same sub in different shapes. Your best bet is to give SVS a call for the detail. Either one will be a killer.
Posted By: Misfit_Toy Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/12/05 04:34 PM
I second that. A phone call is worth it.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/12/05 08:02 PM
Just to even out the "vote" I have a PCi 20-39 and think that it is awesome. I love the tube design too. Adds to the WOW factor a little bit, I think, but of course my wife hates how big the PCi 20-39 is (39" tall, thus the name), but when it goes into our theater area, it will be less noticable, so that is OK.

I agree with the others to give SVS a call. That should be the fastest and easiest way to get your answer...
Posted By: GeneticDrift Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/12/05 08:05 PM
i would suggest the + model as it never hurst to have a bit of overkill, you may need it in the future.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/12/05 08:28 PM
Hey Mike,

Yeah, I'd call them, too. I have the PB12, and like it very much. I like being able to use it as an end table; it disappears in my room much more easily that way. I also like having a dustable, hard surface instead of having to vacuum a cloth surface on the sides of the tube. I cannot imagine needing a plus version, and I have a quite large room. You'll be happy either way, I think.
Posted By: KC_Mike Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/13/05 05:26 AM
Thanks everybody. I ordered the PB12-ISD this afternoon. I am off Friday and Monday.....so I will be home. Hopefully, it makes it here Friday so I can play with it over the weekend.

Posted By: Daphoid Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/13/05 06:34 AM
I think if I used my PB12-Plus/2 as a end table, the stuff might fall off and die

That and I'm anal about it and dust it weekly...

- D
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/13/05 07:17 AM
Doesn't it dust itself?
Posted By: JSkip Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/13/05 11:13 AM
Cool. Now I have someone else to compare notes with.

Good Luck
Posted By: Michael_A Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/13/05 05:33 PM
In reply to:

Doesn't it dust itself?

Yes, but in reverse. I wipe the dust off, it shakes the house so badly that every piece of dust in the entire house gets airborne again and lands right back on top of it..
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/13/05 07:00 PM
Now THAT's funny!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/14/05 08:33 AM
I believe you have a point there. But that's why I have an air filter in the same room as the sub. Play the sub loud to get the dust airborne, then suck the dust out of the air. Works like a charm.
Posted By: Ned Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/14/05 03:27 PM
Testing the bass capabilities of my 2039+ one summer day with the windows open it scared the neighbors dog. The "hillbillys" pit bull must have been snooping around outside the window because he ran off with his tail between his legs looking back over his shoulder wondering what the heck was that.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/14/05 04:08 PM
Were you playing Jurassic Park?
Posted By: bray Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/14/05 06:23 PM
I noticed some neighbor kids snooping around (up to no good) the vacant house next door. I quietly opened my front door and put in Pink Floyds "The Final Cut" track 8 "Get Your Filthy hands off my Desert", and turned it up to -5. When the explosion happened I could hear one of the kids scream, they havent been back.

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/14/05 06:27 PM
In reply to:

they havent been back

i have not even heard that song, but its still a very funny story.

bigjohn
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/14/05 06:46 PM
Pick up Roger Waters' Amused to Death. There's a song that opens with an explosion similar to the one on The Final Cut, only much louder and much deeper. Plus, it has the added benefit of being a really, really good album.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/14/05 07:04 PM
Hoping I'm not driving this further OT, but on the Black Crowes' first album there's a track that starts off with the sound of a car crashing. I haven't heard the CD in awhile (rediscovering my music collection, don't 'ya know!) and I had this disc cranked yesterday as I was working in another room. I almost went for the phone to dial 911 it sounded so real!

I should mention that my studio is at a large, 5-way, congested intersection and that I do make that call once a week on average!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/14/05 08:26 PM
They must recognize the sound of your voice by now, thereby saving you the time and effort of identifying yourself each time.

Desk Sergeant: "Hello. Oh, it's you again."
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/14/05 08:32 PM
That actually HAS happened on several occasions!
Posted By: Michael_A Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/15/05 01:30 AM
That dog must have been outside the window until he heard that big ol' MGM lion with the added punch provided by the SVS.

I'll bet he steers clear of cats for the rest of his life afraid that he'll be running into THAT one in a dark alley one day.

Peter, you need to patent that idea... The "active" ionic breeze. Stirs up the dust, and sucks it right out of the air at the same time.

So as not to stay completely OT. I have a PC-Ultra and I love it. I must say that the only other subs I've ever heard are the "big box" store ones that always make me laugh when I walk by the demo areas that they have set up in the store. I listened to one for 5 minutes one day and I don't think I heard even one note of clean, clear, bass.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/15/05 01:52 AM
Wow - a pit bull wandering around the neighborhood. That's pretty scary. Those things are almost NEVER compared to Lassie. Kind of a 4 legged anti-christ with a really cranky attitude and too many teeth. Brrrr!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/15/05 05:00 AM
But Peter's dog Sunny is part pit, and has to be one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met! (and I'm not a dog person...duh...)
Posted By: Ned Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/15/05 05:07 AM
Well, bad dog didn't know what to think of Blue Man Group cause' that's what he heard. He temporarily escaped from the only rental house in the neighborhood...again! Maybe now he thinks there is a big bad monster over here.:)
Posted By: KC_Mike Re: Which SVS sub? - 01/17/05 08:46 AM
According to the tracking number, the PB12-ISD arrived at 7:28AM Saturday morning at the UPS distribution center fifteen minutes from my house. The odd thing is the scheduled delivery says January 18th. Either that is just an estimate or maybe UPS is closed for Martin Luther King Day?

I hope it arrives Monday morning, not Tuesday.
© Axiom Message Boards