Axiom Home Page
Posted By: biggsly5000 Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 01:06 AM
Has anyone here ever bought or tried to buy drivers from axiom before. I was thinking about a pair of tweeters and midrange drivers to put in some old speakers I am not using right now because the tweeters are out.
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 01:38 AM
No, but here's something I can tell you. They recently sent me a replacement woofer and mid-driver for my M60 (the 6.5" and 5.25" respectively).

They were free, but they had to put the value of the drivers on the packing slip for customs.

5.25" driver = $30
6.25" woofer = $40
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 03:48 AM
Unless it is a warranty situation, I'm not sure I've ever heard of them selling the drivers alone.

Randy

Posted By: zathras Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 05:27 AM
Try these:

DAYTON DA135-8 5-1/4" ALUMINUM CONE WOOFER

DAYTON DA175-8 7" ALUMINUM CONE WOOFER

DAYTON DC25TS-8 1" SHIELDED TITANIUM DOME TWEETER

Look a lot like Axiom's drivers and when I emailed Parts Express they said that the drivers were made in the Far East, which is where Axiom's drivers are made IIRC. Not to churn up a hornet's nest or anything.

Of course even if they were made at the same factory there's no guarantee they have the same T/s parameters.

Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 12:08 PM
7" isn't right, though... the woofers on Axioms are 6.5" (aren't they?). They do look right from the front, but the magnet/chassis/driver part looks a little different, having just handled a couple of drivers Monday night.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 02:41 PM
I'm holding an Axiom driver in my hand and they are not the same as the Daytons.

I think the only way to see if you can purchase a driver would be to phone/email Axiom.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 03:22 PM
I agree with FordPrefect, this has been discussed before, Axiom drivers are not Daytons....the Axiom folks may be willing to work with you though, not sure.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 06:28 PM
I doubt it. It's far more profitable to sell complete solutions (!) rather than selling bits and pieces.

And let's face it, axiom is in business to sell complete solutions, not to sell drivers which could get put in ANYTHING. Think about it--if the enclosure sucks, and someone, shall we say, less knowledgeable, doesn't realize HOW MUCH the enclosure makes a difference to sound, they could assume the Axiom drivers stink. That person could then run around and say that we're all insane, and Axiom makes crappy speakers.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 06:34 PM
In reply to:

That person could then run around and say that we're all insane, and Axiom makes crappy speakers.

While no one is doubting the quality of Axiom's speakers, you have to admit, we are kinda insane. A little bit.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 06:36 PM
I'm perfectly sane. You can tell from my tone of voice.

Muah ha ha ha!
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 06:41 PM
What if he's just trying to replace a broken driver out of warranty? Axiom should, I imagine, be willing to sell the component part under those circumstances...?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/02/05 06:46 PM
Sure, but he's not.
Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: Buying Drivers from Axiom - 02/03/05 02:56 AM
Axiom could sell the speakers at a price that would be profitable to them, they know how much they cost. Of course selling complete speaker systems to the general public is more profitable than selling bits and pieces. But if they were reasonably priced I might try them out as an experiment.
© Axiom Message Boards