Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Tuneman audio systems - 02/02/05 07:07 PM
I am one of the newbies guess have lots of company. I am in the process of buying a RV-X2500 with 130 watts per channel output. I believe Yamaha is updating this to 180 watts. My question: Do I really need the extra 50 Watts? I am planning to buy the M60 set-up my room size is 16x19x8 which opens to dining and kitchen area. Would appreciate comments on the Yamaha and suggestions. Sincerely, Tuneman
Posted By: donjuanmiguel Re: audio systems - 02/02/05 07:21 PM
While your specific question regarding the Yamaha does not apply to me, the part concerning the need for extra watts does. I've been enjoying some music all morning today and have the volume set on -25db. It's pretty loud if I were sitting on the couch some 11' from the mains but perfect for enjoying clean, clear music while piddling around the house. While doing so I thought to myself, would I really need an amp. The denon is rated for 120 wpc. I have yet to turn it up all the way as -05db on the dial registers pretty good outside and I'd hate to accidentally piss-off the neighbors. So the answer to my pondering was "no".

Now, do I want one, hell yeah! Oops, can I say that?
Posted By: LT61 Re: audio systems - 02/02/05 09:33 PM
I think the Yamaha is a great choice....plenty of clean power for the M60s.
If you can, go with the updated receiver..with THX, etc.
Maybe it would be better, if one of our "technical guys" would explain why more power is better.
Posted By: Michael_A Re: audio systems - 02/03/05 12:48 AM
You obviously never watched Home Improvement. More power. Period.

Posted By: JohnK Re: audio systems - 02/03/05 01:14 AM
TM, welcome. The 2500 would be a fine choice, regardless of whether the rating is 130 or 180 watts. Keep in mind that speakers such as the M60 use about 1 watt at a comfortably loud average listening level. Brief split second peaks might use 100 watts or more, depending on factors such as distance of the listener, room size, dynamic range in the recording and the average level which one listens at. The difference between 130 watts and 180 watts at a peak, for example, is only about 1.4dB, e.g. 110dB compared with 111.4dB. So no, it's highly unlikely that this small advantage would be needed by you. Give other features more weight than power ratings.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: audio systems - 02/03/05 01:28 AM
John states it well. To answer your question just a bit differently, the 1500 would also be a good choice and will drive these speakers very well.
Posted By: joninflorida Re: audio systems - 02/03/05 01:37 AM
I can attest to that, the 1500 will drive your 60s with clean power. The 2500 would obviously do that with a tad extra.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: audio systems - 02/03/05 02:06 AM
Jon, I hadn't mentioned this before, but I am REALLY sorry about the SVS twins. Where did you end up with the "settlement" and what equipment will you get?
Posted By: Tuneman Re: audio systems - 02/03/05 08:39 AM
You have been a big help, appreciate it very much. I am looking forward to a new world of audio wonderland. Hugh
© Axiom Message Boards