Axiom Home Page
Posted By: lomb7 Plasma Bliss - 02/08/05 03:01 AM
I wanted to update you all to my new plasma.

To start, I was looking for a plasma for about 1.5 years now but almost threw up every time I looked at the price tags. After doing a lot of research I found that everyone touted the Pannys for their "true blacks". After going to a few stores in the area I could tell that the Pannys were very nice but that the LG models also had some great quality.

So, I went to AVS forum to see what people had to say about the LG's vs the Pannys. To my surprise there were quite a few positive comments about the LG's, comparing them directly to the Pannys. I was surprised because you do not hear a lot about LG. Also, to my surprise I noticed one person that had purchased an industrial model, the LG Electronics MU42PM12X 42" HDTV. Words like "stunning", and "Wow" were used a lot along with a price tag of $2250. Now that was a cost I could live with. I did my homework and found an online dealer that would sell me the unit for $2250 and with the stand it would be $2450 and that cost was a shipped cost because if shipped to a company the freight is free.

I have had the set now for 4 days and I have to copy the words that I read at avs forum.....WOW! Looking at these sets in a store is one thing. When you get it home, set it up, sit back with a beer, it is a whole other experience. Even my 2 yr old seems amazed.

The set is wall mounted about 12-14 feet from my bed. The only differences between this unit and the commercial units are no built in speakers (who cares, that's what Axiom is for) and the face is black instead of silver (again, who cares). All in all I am extremely happy. If you are looking for a great quality picture that will not set you back half a years rent then the LG unit is the way to go.
Posted By: Daphoid Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/08/05 03:23 AM
No pics?? SHAME ON YOU!

- D
Posted By: lomb7 Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/08/05 04:59 PM
Sorry, I'm not pic handy
Posted By: snippy Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/08/05 10:52 PM
Is the TV HD or ED resolution?
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/08/05 11:13 PM
Congrats. I was actually in withdrawal on Sunday. Went to a friend's house to watch the game. He didn't have HD, but he did have Tivo. But I have HD Tivo and a plasma at my house...
Posted By: lomb7 Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/08/05 11:19 PM
The unit is HD.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/08/05 11:37 PM
In reply to:

The unit is HD

Wow, that is a good price. I was assuming it was ED!

So someone really did have a good Birthday this year!
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/09/05 12:00 AM
Holy! That's a great deal for an HD.
Posted By: Pete_D Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/09/05 04:11 AM
I have been watching large plasmas for while. Some of the Panny's have dropped almost 10% since christmas. Many are forecasting the prices will continue to drop rapidly this year and beyond, particularly if you don't need 1080p (called "True HD" by many of the manufacturers) which are starting to come to market with big price tags.
Posted By: lomb7 Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/09/05 06:13 AM
Pete,
I thought the same thing you did and to tell you the truth, I was not seeing that much movement. I did some research on this issue on avs forum and most felt that the price may move, at the most 15-20%. Even if they moved 20%, a $5000 plasma that had the same stats as my LG would now be $4000 and I was not prepared to spend even that.

To top of the numbers game, I just got plain tired of playing the waiting game. I saw a great price on a "True HD" unit and said "what the F@@@" and I can tell you that I made a great choice at a great price.

I hope that you can find what you are looking for and can wait longer then I. Kepp me updated.
Posted By: lomb7 Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/09/05 04:19 PM
Here are the specs:

Description: MU-42PM12X 42" Plasma TV (16:9, 1024x768, 5000:1, HDTV)
Manufacturer: LG Electronics
Broadcast Format Displayed: 480i (SDTV), 768p
Broadcast Format Supported: 1080i (HDTV), 480i (SDTV), 480p (EDTV), 720p (HDTV)
Detailed Specifications
General Features: Closed Caption, Multilingual On-Screen Display, Progressive Scan, SAP, Sleep Timer, V-Chip
Remote Control: Same Brand Remote
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (Widescreen)
Audio Format Supported: MTS Stereo
Brightness: 1500 cd/m2
Broadcast Format: ATSC (Digital), NTSC (analog)
Contrast Ratio: 5000:1
Diagonal Screen Size: 42 in
HDTV Compatible: Yes
Included Components: 15-pin RGB Cable, AC Power Cord, DVI-D Cable, Remote Control
Interface Type: Audio - RCA, Serial - 9 pin D-shell (EIA 574/232), Video - 15 pin High-Density D-shell (VGA), Video - DVI (Unspecified), Video - HD Component Video, Video - RCA Composite Video, Video - S-Video (4 pin mini-DIN)
Resolution: 1024 x 768 (XGA)
Viewable Size: 42 in
Display Type: Plasma Display
Horizontal Viewing Angle: 160 degrees
Vertical Viewing Angle: 160 degrees
Input: A/V (Composite), Component Video, DVI, S-Video, VGA
Dimensions
Height: 25.58 in
Width: 41.97 in
Depth: 3.84 in
Weight: 65 lbs
Reference
Warranty Information: 2 Year Limited Warranty

Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/09/05 06:31 PM
2 year warranty is golden. I got my Panny 6UY Feb 04. During the summer, one of the pixels got stuck red. Brought it to the local service center and lucked out, they replaced the display w/ a new one. That was July. I asked if that means my warranty is 1 year from July. Service center said no, it's 1 year from date of purchase. What a bunch of crap. Hopefully, nothing will happen after this month...
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/09/05 07:35 PM
i must admit I have a new found appreciation for Plasma displays after this weekend. I stopped in at Costco and, surprise surprise, found myself in the television isle. They had a Daytek 42" set up (made by Daewoo). It was beside a couple of other Plasma monitors - both Samsung i think, displaying a HD signal from the Super Bowl pregame show. The picture was stunning. For $2400 CDN, I thought it was a steal and if I was currently shopping for a new set, it would get serious consideration.

Prior to that I'd never been that impressed by Plasma displays so I'm not sure whether this one was a higher quality display or it's out-of-the-box calibration was better
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/09/05 09:56 PM
Yeah, they're getting better and cheaper. I never would've thought you could get a 42" HD plasma for under $3K this soon, let alone the price he got if for.
Posted By: Pete_D Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/10/05 02:38 AM
Craig:

I am envious of your purchase. My situation is not that pressing. I currently have a Sony 36" WEGA with a nice picture. When I go plasma, I am going big - like 65 inches plus. My current dream TV is the commercial Panny TH-65PHD7UY. It lists for over 15k, but I would not want to spend more than 4 or 5k on a TV (sounds stupid to some to spend this much I am sure - but when you see these TV's it doesn't seem stupid). Anyway, www.visualapex.com was selling this unit for about $10,400 a couple of months ago. Now they are listing it for $9,495. Still too much money but progress nonetheless.

I just love the brightness and picture quality of plasmas, although SED (Toshiba and Canon product introduced at this years CES) sounds really neat, too. I really want to hang my next big TV on the wall.

With more technologies and more competition, prices will drop - you just never know how fast. I have no problem waiting 3 years or so if necessary.

Just out of curiosity, what are you using for your HD signals (cable, dish, OTA)?

Enjoy the view!

Pete
Posted By: lomb7 Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/10/05 03:53 AM
I am using cable for the HD signal.

65 inches....wow... I know that if your room is not large enough a 65 will be totally overkill and may give you a few headaches. In my bedroom, my viewing distance is about 14 feet and that is perfect for me, just the right size.

If you are looking at going that big you may want to look at an overhead projector. You would be VERY surprised with the pic quality. I have even heard people mention the pic nicer then HD plasma. Plus, if 65 inches is not enough for you, you can grow the screen.

I wish I could have waited longer, but I loved what I saw and the price was right.
Posted By: lomb7 Re: Plasma Bliss - 02/10/05 03:54 AM
sidvicious02-
I would take a look at the stat sheet on this unit online and compare it to a pricey Panny to see what makes it nice and where it lacks.

That is a good price.
© Axiom Message Boards