Axiom Home Page
Hello again. I have spent much time in the setup of my new axioms (M60, VP150, QS8, EP500), and at Brent's suggestions have finally found what appears to be the best spot for placement (relative to my options). Now my problems:

I can find sub/tower blending/5.1 nirvana at specific overall volumes only. What I mean is that, if I turn the master volume on the Yamaha RXV2400 up or down from a certain point it affect the bass smoothness/response. What seems weirdest is If my master volume is at -18 on the Yamaha w/the EP500 db trim at -10, it sounds AMAZING. If I simply turn up the overall volume to -15 to get more overall volume, I appear to actually LOSE BASS???? What is happening here?? It's like the volume from other channels is cancelling out some of the EP500.

Second question- Can I remedy w/my SPL meter and DVE test tones? I used it to get to this point, but what I don't know is what MASTER VOLUME setting should I use to start? I used 0 on all channels and 0 on the master volume as a starting point and calibrated all channels to 75db from there. Is that why I'm messed up? Should I have set the volumes differently during the test?

VERY happy w/my axioms, but really want to find the right channel volume settings here regardless of overall volume.

Thanks as always for you all's help.
No one loves me?? OR, I have an issue that has no answer. Cmon, you guys are usually SO good on this stuff.
I'd try checking for room nodes with the DVE disk and an excel spreadsheet. That's going to be my project this evening... I've found a similar thing with my sub. If you find you have a huge spike at a certain frequency, that's probably what you're calibrating to with pink noise. Which means the rest of the frequencies will be too low. I noticed this last night when something blew up on TV, and I didn't feel a thing...
In reply to:

.....something blew up on TV, .....

It must've been the penguin.
I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.

Someday I'm going to have to see that sketch.
Thanks guys, I have been dreading doing the Excel sheet thing w/the frequencies on DVE, but it sounds like that's what to do.
Likewise, my friend, likewise. It also doesn't look like it's happening tonight for me. Gah! Silly clients...
>>It must've been the penguin.

What the heck are you guys talking about ?
Is your hookup "normal", ie subwoofer line in connected to receiver "sub out" ?
Are we talking about Billy Madison here?
LOL! You have to be a Monty Python freak to get that one. One of the silly non sequiturs they would use between sketches was cutting to a TV newscaster who would say something akin to "It's 12 O'clock. Time for the penguin on top of your TV set to blow up." They'd cut to some dumpy couple, or little old lady, sitting in front of a TV watching the announcer who just made the statement, and this silly ugly penguin statue sitting on top of the TV would explode. Much funnier than my dumb description. I'm actually surprised Ken had any idea what I was talking about. Much too young.
Ahh, thank you. Thought I watched a lot of Monty Python but apparently not enough. Or maybe I don't remember... none of my friends seem to remember a lot from "the Python years".
In reply to:

... none of my friends seem to remember a lot from "the Python years".

ROTFLMAO! Boy do I know EXACTLY what you mean. The 1970s are just one big smoky haze. Whew! I have since recovered.

My Dad's a big Python fan. He's read one of the penguin sketches to me.
I have the series on DVD. Worth getting, since it came out a few years ago and the price has fallen.

There's a penguin on the telly.

What's it doing there?

Standing.

Brilliant sketch ("Burma!")
and it was an educational series too! where else could you learn self-defense against fresh fruit?
Jack,

I knew what you were talking about...

It appears others did as well...

"What's a penguin doin' on the telly?...I do believe he's standin'..."

"He's not dead...He's pinin'..."

Anyone for "The Goodies"?

WhatFurrer
"What if heez got a pointed stick?"

I really tried hard to not participate in this hijack, but I succumbed!

"Twit of the Year" was one of many favorites of mine!
And now, for something completely different, a man with three buttocks.
In reply to:

"He's not dead...He's pinin'..."

"That parrot is DEAD. He's a LATE parrot!" LOL
And learn to identify trees from a distance!
It IS no more! It has rung up the curtain and joined the choir Eenvisible!

The first rule of not being seen is: "Don't... stand up."
"A pointed stick, eh

What fresh fruit not good enough for you?

Well if someone comes at you with a banana don't come cryin' to me"
if you hadn't nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisys!!
Are you trying "not to be seen"?
Sit on my face
and tell me that you love me!
well i wasnt going to go there, this IS a predominantly male board!!
© Axiom Message Boards