Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TNTguy Thought this was interesting - 02/27/05 07:19 AM
I guess total power does indeed go down with more channels driven.

www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/DenonAVR-3805lab.pdf
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Thought this was interesting - 02/27/05 07:37 AM
Now there's a reason to get monoblocks if I ever saw one.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Thought this was interesting - 02/27/05 12:46 PM
or a Harmon Kardon, (HKs usually exceed advertised figures with all channels driven) btw I thought this was common knowledge.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Thought this was interesting - 02/27/05 04:54 PM
i was always told the more channels you drive, that the wattage output would decrease proportionally per channel. but i had never seen an actual measured test result to prove it.

bigjohn
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Thought this was interesting - 02/27/05 07:08 PM
One point that shouldn't be overlooked is that the volume level is going up as the wattage is going down.

In other words, you'll have a louder SPL in a room with 5 speakers getting ten watts each than a single speaker getting fifty watts.

I'm not at all surprised that any receiver can't deliver it's rated power into all channels at the same time, and I'm not too concerned about it. Building a receiver to deliver stated power to each channel at the same time would probably double it's cost and not be of much practical use. I can't think of a single time in a movie where every channel was at maximum volume at the same time.

It's easy to wish that every receiver's specs read: "120 watts per channel, all 7 channels driven, at .06% distortion, 20Hz-20KHz" but the truth is, many of us couldn't afford a receiver that spec'd out like that!
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Thought this was interesting - 02/27/05 11:13 PM
Ya, thats what I have been seeking, and ended up going with a 5 chan and a 2 chan amps to bbtain it. Will see how they work out when they arrive.
© Axiom Message Boards