Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TNTguy Surge protectors - 02/28/05 04:48 AM
When I bought my tv a few years ago I purchased a Monster surge protector (before I realized how overpriced Monster products are). It was about $100(!) for 1850 joules of protection. Is this adequate for my home theater? Should I upgrade?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Surge protectors - 02/28/05 07:43 AM
TNT, AV equipment is designed to routinely handle surges of hundreds of volts and an extremely unlikely surge of more than a few thousand volts(e.g. an almost direct lighting strike)would destroy the power cords before it reached the equipment. A surge protector might be of some possible use(I use none)fot the in-between area and what you bought is adequate, although as usual the Monster is greatly overpriced and you could have gotten more for $20-$30.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Surge protectors - 02/28/05 01:04 PM
I have to disagree with John on this one.

At any given time, I might have $150,000 worth of equipment plugged into the wall and have lost equipment in the past to "electrical issues"...certainly not direct strikes but more than a spark from a dry room.

ALL of my equipment is connected through suppressors and voltage regulators from Furman, Tripplite, Monster and APC...despite that there's a "whole house" lightning arrestor on my main panel.

One of the issues that people face in a HT environment actually makes it more vulnerable than my professional equipment: There's cable/satellite coming in, and maybe telephone as well. Even with a whole-house lightning protector, I've lost TiVos, credit-card verifying apparatus, etc.., from surges on telephone lines.

Despite all that, I STILL agree that Monster is overpriced and use this model from TrippLite in my HT:

It ran about $130 (compared to Monster's $250 equivalent) and offers coax and phone protection as well. It's the model HTPowerbar10 and you can find info on it here. There's many online dealers for it; a Google search will bring up many good choices.

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Surge protectors - 02/28/05 02:19 PM
i got an 8-plug surge protector, rated at 1800 joules, at ratshack for around $40 bucks. it also has the adaptors for cable and phone hook-up. i have yet to have any probs from it.

bigjohn
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Surge protectors - 02/28/05 02:22 PM
I've got the same inexpensive solution as BigJohn, as just as important, my insurance is for replacement value.
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Surge protectors - 02/28/05 07:07 PM
Your SP should be fine...I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Surge protectors - 02/28/05 07:30 PM
If you're the truly paranoid type - look to a Furman PM-8, we use PL-8s (chances are you don't need the rack lights!) in our road racks (never know what you'll get for power on location) - a quick Google says they're available for $190 or so online. They're a no-nonsense professional solution that also adds power conditioning and a volt/ammeter to measure draw for less than Noel Lee's neatly painted Monster power bar.

Having said that, my HT stuff is plugged into a 6-plug gang directly into the wall, and the computer systems go into Energizer UPS' and straight into the wall there too.

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards