Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RickF Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 12:28 AM
First off, I'm no way, no how an audio-pro. Having recieved my M60s late last week, I've had time to try them out on what I had originally thought was going to be an inadequate 'little' Onkyo TX-SR502. In the past several days I have been very awestruck with the speakers and impressed with the reciever, especially after getting the crossover and speaker settings adjusted.

So, my question is how many Onkyo folks do we have and what are the advantages/disadvantages to some of the other name brand recievers on the market. I'm quite sure I'll upgrade in the near future and right now I'm leaning towards another Onkyo simply because I'm familiar with it but my mind will open to any suggestions.
Posted By: Todd Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 12:34 AM
I have a 502 myself running with M22's upstairs. To be honest, I think the sound produced is fantastic. Downstairs, I have a 2-Channel system being run by a NAD 352 with M60's. I personally love both set-ups.......of course leaning toward the downstairs.......
Posted By: bridgman Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 01:02 AM
I don't know much about the Onkyo products but I don't think I have heard a single bad thing about them in my time on this board.

Onkyos aren't on the "safe for 4-ohm M80s" list so I imagine a lot of people go with Denon or HK "just in case" when they get that "big ass AV receiver, the last one I will ever own" -- but I don't know if there are any real problems with 4 ohm loads or just not enough Onkyo owners feeding back to get them on the list.

Other than the 4 ohm thing, I don't imagine there is a big benefit to switching brands. Glad you stayed with your 502 and gave it a chance.

When the time comes (or, ideally, before) just visit a bunch of friends, read the manuals, and play with their remotes. Every receiver handles bass management a bit differently, for example.
Posted By: bray Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 01:15 AM
The only bad thing I've ever heard about them is that they can run hot.
This shouldnt be a problem if it has some breathing space around it.
Posted By: RickF Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 01:24 AM
[qoute]When the time comes (or, ideally, before) just visit a bunch of friends, read the manuals, and play with their remotes. Every receiver handles bass management a bit differently, for example.[/qoute]

Oh yea, the remote thus far has been the Achilles heel of my 502. Seems like every time I pick it up it's upside down and I can't tell by feel, so therefore I find myself having to juggle it right side up.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 01:38 AM
I've been running an Onkyo TX-DS797 for about 3 years now. Haven't got a single complaint.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 01:51 AM
I have had a few with the last one being the TX-SR800. I can't say I came away with any complaints at all other then it ran a little hot when pushing it a little.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 02:26 AM
Thoughts about Onkyo? Only good thoughts.

Until we moved into a new larger house, I had been running an Onkyo 55 watt unit for about five years with absolutely no problems or complaints. Actually I'm still running it cause I haven't taken the oportunity to change it out with my new 85watt upgrade. So Yup, been happy with Onkyo. (the new unit has been gathering dust now for almost three weeks, better get going, huh? The new TV will be here Monday, and IT takes the inputs instead of the receiver, don't really want to program the new receiver more than once.

There was a review in Audioholics on the Onkyo 601 where there was no problem runnung M80s during the test.

So, in my book, Onkyo makes good stuff.

Rich.
Posted By: Wid Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 12:30 PM

I know Dr.Hsu recommends the Onkyo 502 receiver to go with the Hsu Vt12 set up.I'm sure it's a good receiver if he recommends it.My sister has one of those Onkyo home theater set ups and to my suprise it sounds pretty darn good for the $.The receiver does run on the warm side though.
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 12:53 PM
I have a 702 and have had no complaints - not even related to heat. I do have a good amount of breathing room for it in my rack, but that was just the result of the spacing available. I've never touched it while pushing it and noticed any particular heat issues, though.
Posted By: Babalu Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 02:39 PM
If you'd like to get another Onkyo you could consider upgrading to there Integra line of equipment. I've got the two-channel dtm 5.3 and have been happy with it. Very Solid.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/09/05 02:47 PM
i got the 701, and couldnt be any happier with it. it has more DSP's than i really need, and the power and sound are awesome. i think onkyo makes one of the most user friendly owners manual, and the think the 'learnable' remote is very sturdy and useful. it has pre/pro capabilities, and it has more inputs/outputs than i will ever use. i think with its overall versatility and ease of use, it should be considered a leader in its price range.

only downsides as mentioned... it can run a tad hot when pushing it hard, and it will struggle with a 4ohm load. just make sure it has plenty of ventilation, and stick with M60's. done deal!!

overall, i am extremely pleased with my 701, and have no desire to upgarde or chage at this time.

bigjohn
Posted By: frenche Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/10/05 12:57 AM
been reading the post for a while for advice and answers to all my audio/video needs. the guys on here are really helpful. finally decided to add my 2 cents, being i actually know a little about the topic at hand,
as far as onkyo goes, i could not be any happier with my onkyo 801 running the m60's, i dont think 4 ohms, should be a problem, but then again the 801 is setup to run at 4, there are plenty of dsp's to choose from, and i have no heat problems with only a 6 inch clearence on all sides running contunious at -10 db for about 2-3 hours. my room is about 20x19 with 15 ft.ceilings and open to the loft on one side and have no problems turning up the volume and still have amazining clarity with no noticable (to my ears) distortion. however, the only complaint is the video out only upconverts to component out instead of hdmi/dvi, however i am no expert and do not know if there is a visable difference between component (r/b/g) and dvi/hdmi. plus there are more inputs on there than i could ever possiblye use. but this is about onkyo products, particularly receivers, and i dont see any problems with onkyo, nor have i experienced any. so if that helps any....
Posted By: peteswrx Re: Any thoughts on Onkyo? - 03/11/05 01:39 AM
i love my 702. the video upconversion is fine. it does run a little hot, but who cares? that's what warranty's are for right? plus why would you want to push it hard for extremely extended periods of time? 3-4 hours and I give it a break...

i can attest that it's a wonderful combo with the m22's, vp150, and the qs8's also. oh, and the svs 20-39pci rules.
© Axiom Message Boards