Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pschar QS4/QS8 - rear wall vs. side walls - 03/10/05 07:40 PM
All,

Is there a noticeable difference between mounting these surrounds on the back wall versus the side walls? (Assuming the back wall is close to my couch?) My television is across the short length of my room (along the 25' side of a 25' x 18' room) and the side walls are faaaaaar away...and stands cost more than free wall brackets. B)

Tom
Posted By: bigjohn Re: QS4/QS8 - rear wall vs. side walls - 03/10/05 07:50 PM
you can mount them on the side walls, or the rear walls. the QS8's are very versatile and are extremely forgiving when it comes to their placement.

BTW- i have a 28x26 room, and the surrounds are even with the couch on the 28ft wall, which puts them approx 12-13ft to each side of the 'prime' seating position, and they work fine. i can hear them loud a clear. so, you do have options...

bigjohn
Posted By: RickF Re: QS4/QS8 - rear wall vs. side walls - 03/11/05 02:36 AM
In reply to:

you can mount them on the side walls, or the rear walls. the QS8's are very versatile and are extremely forgiving when it comes to their placement.

Given this, will it matter if the speakers are mounted at different distances from the center of the listening area? Looks like my best option is to mount the right 10' from the center while the left will be 8'6" from center. OR...can one be mounted on the back wall while the other is mounted on the side wall, to equalize this distance offset?

These QS8s are difficult to temporaily place in areas because of the way they're designed without having holes all over the walls. The rep told me to set them on a ladder and try different areas but I'm somehow not understanding how with the woofers mounted top and bottom.
Posted By: bridgman Re: QS4/QS8 - rear wall vs. side walls - 03/11/05 02:40 AM
>>These QS8s are difficult to temporaily place in areas because of the way they're designed without having holes all over the walls. The rep told me to set them on a ladder and try different areas but I'm somehow not understanding how with the woofers mounted top and bottom.

Take the bottom grill off and put the QS's on a couple of large soup cans.

I don't think a difference of a couple of feet is going to make any difference. QS's are REALLY tolerant. I still have one on the soup cans and one hanging on the wall 3 feet higher.
Posted By: RickF Re: QS4/QS8 - rear wall vs. side walls - 03/11/05 02:52 AM
Oh ok thanks Bridgman, another one of those 'why didn't I think of that' moments!

BTW, I recieved my 8s yesterday and both speakers had a bottom grill snap tit broken off. The first box I thought maybe I may have broken it somehow while unpacking but after carefully opening the second speaker box I was quite surprised to see one broke from that one also.

Well lo' and behold if ol' BrotherBob still didn't have the orginally ordered QS4s, so I just popped out a couple from one of the QS4 speakers and replaced them both...with good graces from Axiom, of course.
Posted By: bridgman Re: QS4/QS8 - rear wall vs. side walls - 03/11/05 02:53 AM
Thank Romeo. It was his idea. Saved my butt
Posted By: BrenR Re: QS4/QS8 - rear wall vs. side walls - 03/11/05 03:26 AM
In reply to:

Well lo' and behold if ol' BrotherBob still didn't have the orginally ordered QS4s, so I just popped out a couple from one of the QS4 speakers and replaced them both...with good graces from Axiom, of course.

My QS4s arrived with a "pull" in the speaker cloth on one grill, I didn't think much of it - it was a minor defect from part of the grill frame that wasn't sanded perfectly smooth before stretching the cloth over, it wore through in transit - you can't blame the factory for it - so I figured I'd live with it. Until I hung the speaker, the significant other came home, went into the rec room and said "Hey, those look g... is that a hole in the cloth?"

ARGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH! I could have killed her.

Bren R.
Posted By: RickF Re: QS4/QS8 - rear wall vs. side walls - 03/11/05 03:43 AM
Tell me about it Bren, just tonight we both went car shopping for her...no wonder I drink.
© Axiom Message Boards